Emisar D4S

Connor

Enlightened
Even with the less efficient 219C, this host can handle more heat than I thought it could, probably around 500-600 lumens continuous without getting hot. Not bad!

It can handle way more than 500-600 lumens ... I would say >1000 sustained when "handcooled".

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried to visually match the output between my SC600 MK3 HI's high output of 1100 lumens to the D4s 219C, and at this output it gradually gets warmer over time. By about 5 mins it's still pretty holdable. I think with the XPL HIs it can sustain that pretty well without heat issues. A nice feat for an almost pocketable host.

That's the nice thing with multi-emitter lights, they're more efficient at lower outputs.

I will include the D4s with my ROT66s, but whenever I try to do multiple beams at once, my light always defaults to making the D4s pure white, even though it's rather greenish. I hope the same doesn't happen with stills of each one individually.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
twisted raven,
Your verbal assessment of flashlights is very telling. Maybe because your eyes work like people such as me, but pictures are just one reference and can be near useless without context. I was hoping you could give us your impressions of the different emitters in your ROT66's as compared with your D4S's (?)

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Just joined the D45 club after after almost a year of owning the D1. I ordered the xpg2 neutral/warm 4000k version hoping for the ultimate mountain bike light. It looks like it will be a nice balance of throw and flood. One of big reasons I've been attracted to Emisar flashlights (Besides crazy performance) is the nice selection of different tints to choose from.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just joined the D45 club after after almost a year of owning the D1. I ordered the xpg2 neutral/warm 4000k version hoping for the ultimate mountain bike light. It looks like it will be a nice balance of throw and flood. One of big reasons I've been attracted to Emisar flashlights (Besides crazy performance) is the nice selection of different tints to choose from.

Yes sir. It throw like a xpl hi except it is not brigther.. xpg2 is suitable for most tasks.. good choice !

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was tempted by the xpl Hi 4000k for sure. My D1 xpl has one of the best led tints I've ever laid eyes on. But a few comments by my fellow candlepower members about yellowish tints (and the extra 20 bucks) made me give the xpg2 a try despite the lower output. International outdoor puts the xpl at 45000 candela, and the xpg2 at 40,000 -not a major difference for me...

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
thought about getting that version but almost all my lights are 4000-4500. Had to step out of my comfort zone, lol. I also thought 5000k would look good on this power house

How much difference between your 5000k vs a neutral white light at similar lumens?

nigelbisonn

Newly Enlightened
Mattz68, how do you attach a flashlight to your mountain bike? I have been using a flashlight on my commuter bike for some time with just a really sturdy silicone rubber band (it's a repurposed hair tie actually) but this would never do for the bumps of mountain biking.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mattz68, how do you attach a flashlight to your mountain bike? I have been using a flashlight on my commuter bike for some time with just a really sturdy silicone rubber band (it's a repurposed hair tie actually) but this would never do for the bumps of mountain biking.

Just go on to a site like Banggood or Gearbest, and search for "flashlight bicycle holder". You'll get a bunch of different holders for a variety of lights. Usually about $5.

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
Just got my light and am I impressed. I personally like the tint more than my Mac's Custom SST-50EDC @ 4500k. The temperature is slightly warmer is much forgiving to my sensitive eyes. The beam pattern is very uniform and have a solid hotspot. I find the UI very simple and the compact size makes it that much more confortable to my small hands. Have not gotten a chance to compare it to anything as it is currently daytime. The magnet is quite strong and will be a very good friend when working on cars.

markr6

Flashaholic
Glad you like it! I'm tempted to get another, 5000K HI this time, but trying to save some cash lately...

Nokoff

Enlightened
76b538342b46598914a0ce337579e69b.jpg
bcb92face1c2996291bd9aa3b0867e40.jpg

Last edited:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight is gorgeous. Looking at the reflectors, LEDs and the board beneath is just beautiful. A first I thought my 2300 lumen zebra was about the same brightness but the D4S had a brighter hotspot. But I was so wrong. Once i stopped white wall hunting, LIKE A PEASANT(JK), I went outside and was floored by not only the brightest but the throw.
My only dissapointent is I see some scratches under the lens, maybe it's dirt. But I also see a little something on one of the reflectors as well. I don't usually stare into flashlights though so I will pretend it doesn't exist(I've mastered denial.)

But seriously, I am having a good time so far. I can also see some people pocketing this. It's thick and I wouldn't personally. But it is possible.

Zeron1

Newly Enlightened
I got a chance last night to test it out. I'm very impressed at the fact that it's an optic and yet, it throws quite well for its size. The part that didn't surprise me was that after 1500 lumens, the color rendition is almost all the same (except 6500k). I got a chance to use it this morning in the garage as a skylight and with the magnet, it makes a perfect work light. I'd like to get another one but I've got other things that are priority.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't think you'll use the magnetic cap much, skip it. It pulls the battery out when you take it off, and could fall if you don't catch it. I'll be ordering an extra w/o magnet when they become available.
just put some heat on the magnet. magnets will die when heated over 85 celsius.

Nokoff

Enlightened
I hadn't used my D4S much yet, and had not seen the complaints on blf about green Nichia emitters in the older D4. Hank at Intl Outdoor confessed to a bad reel with green they said. My D4S has a visible green corona.

Edit: a friend pointed this out.. it's possibly just from the torch's green body. No idea if Hank is still using the bad feel or not. Doesn't affect color outdoors just on a white wall.

Last edited:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to figure out how to change the ramping settings. I accidently changed how it ramps up and down and now it is stepping instead of smooth.

Also, can anyone better explain how to change the temp setting to go hotter. I appreciate it. This image is just confusing.

markr6

Flashaholic
I can't seem to figure out how to change the ramping settings. I accidently changed how it ramps up and down and now it is stepping instead of smooth.

Also, can anyone better explain how to change the temp setting to go hotter. I appreciate it. This image is just confusing.

When it's on, just click 3 times quickly to switch it between ramping and stepping. Regarding the thermal config, I can't say because I haven't messed with that yet.

tyu

Newly Enlightened

When on, use 3 fast clicks to toggle between ramped and smooth.

"For each menu item, the light will first blink a number of times corresponding to the item number (first, second, etc.) After that, the light will begin fluttering on and off fairly quickly. While the light is fluttering, you can click the button a number of times; the light will count the number of button presses and use that number as its new configuration for that menu item. After a short period of time, the fluttering will stop and the light will move on to the next menu item. After the light has gone through all of the menu items, it will return to whatever mode it was in before entering the configuration mode."

From off, click 10 times. After 2 flashes and the start of fluttering, click once for every degree over 30 deg C to set the limit. The manual I'm reading says 45 deg C is the default, so that would be 15 clicks. After that I believe it will exit the mode.

Edited to paste content from the manual.

Last edited: