Eveready Lithium

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are actually Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells, not Ultra.

Typo on the web site.

The "ultimate" marketing designator came into being in Aug2008 and batteries with "ultimate" on the label would have a date code of 2023 or 2024+. What hatman received was the same chemistry but slightly older stock L91's at a good price.

The term "ultra" in reference to batteries seems to be owned by Duracell and I agree its a mistake/typo on the BJ website.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell Black Rose is correct and Eveready is owned by Energizer which is owned by Ralston Purina.

Eveready in the US is now a discount brand of batteries found in places like Big Lots and Dollar general, so I don't expect to see a premium product like L91s branded with a name associated with discount quality batteries. Name brand recognition and marketing perceptions may be different in other countries like Australia though.

hatman

Enlightened
What are the best brands and models in lithium AAs?

And where's a reliable place to get them?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the best brands and models in lithium AAs?
Presently the only brands available are from Energizer - available as Ultimate and Advanced.

Ultimate is the stronger of the two, but also costs more.

Rayovac and apparently Panasonic are trying to introduce primary lithium AA cells to North America since Energizers patent/monopoly recently expired.

hazna

Enlightened
I've always wondered what the 'energizer advanced' were... thanks for clearing that up.

Whats the runtime difference between energizer advanced and ultimate? Also do the energizer 'advanced' do well in extreme temperature like the 'ultimates'?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the runtime difference between energizer advanced and ultimate?
Based on the info provided in the data sheets, the Ultimates edge out the Advanced cells a bit in runtime.

Also do the energizer 'advanced' do well in extreme temperature like the 'ultimates'?
Yes, temperature range is -40°F to 140°F (-40°C to 60°C), just like the Ultimate cells.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought Union Carbide (Dow Chemicals) owed Eveready. They must have sold the brand and I did not get the memo!

Burgess

Flashaholic
I always thought Union Carbide (Dow Chemicals) owed Eveready.
They must have sold the brand and I did not get the memo!

Memo to ltiu :

Union Carbide hasn't owned Eveready for years and years and years.

There IS no more Union Carbide.

:whistle:

_

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memo to ltiu :

Union Carbide hasn't owned Eveready for years and years and years.

There IS no more Union Carbide.

:whistle:

_

I did not get the MEMO! Not fair!

http://www.ucarbide.com/history/index.htm

" ...
1986 ... Union Carbide divests a number of businesses: films packaging, major portions of metals business, battery products,
..."

Actually, Union Carbide still exists:

http://www.ucarbide.com/about/index.htm

Funny, their corporate office is near my bike route. Maybe I'll pay them a visit.

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
I had a look at the energizer advanced packs in australia. Not too sure if the ones we have here are lithium... the writing on the package implies they are some form of advanced alkaline batteries.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one from DX doesn't apply since they are outside of the geographic boundary of the previous Energizer patent/monopoly.

The ones from BJ I've seen before...kinda surprised Energizers MIBs haven't knocked on their door about 'em.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too sure if this has been posted previously. Shopping at the local Coles supermarket this morning I found these.

evereadylithium.jpg

Norm

That seems pretty step...$$.

chiphead

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened
I had a look at the energizer advanced packs in australia. Not too sure if the ones we have here are lithium... the writing on the package implies they are some form of advanced alkaline batteries.

The ones at my work definetly say the advanced are alkaline.

I can get the Energizer lithiums for about 15AUD, using my staff discount :D