"Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots-

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

@ DIWdiver: This sound like a good solution to make me stop thinking each time when I push the switch about this animated film from
the 1960 where they sing this song "duck and cover"… :poof:
And to my mind you are completely right when you say, that dropping from 13Ah to 10 or 9Ah will not be very visible in total lumens
out of the front. And if its only one driver, not 4 or 8 in series or parallel things will not get more complicated, only better…

Best regards,
Steffen.
:wave:

Okay, I'm thinking about voltages, and it looks like the IMR 18650 cells you are using are going to rapidly drop below 3.5V during 10A discharge. This isn't enough to get 10A through an SST-90 unless you really lucked out and super-low voltage bins. Did you notice the lamp getting dimmer during the first 10-30 seconds?

Can you take a reading of the voltage on the LED string during discharge? Based on the measurements LuxLuthor made here, I can't see you getting 10A for more than 20-30 seconds, even with direct drive. Maybe I'm missing something?:shrug:

Assuming you only want "full blast", the driver could be made to drop as little as 0.1V, but I wonder if it's even worth it. Maybe DD is okay for these.

D

overdog

Enlightened
Re: "Fat Star" Octa 8x SST-90 Colossus Led Flashlight @ 18.000 lumens -more beamshots

@ DIWdiver: thank you for offering help, I think you are right, its okay for this light to run on DD.

@ archer6817j: its SKU5937.

best regards,
Steffen.

Xacto

Enlightened

@overdog

What a freakin' great light. I bet the guys from Fraport Tower wondered if a new runway opened up in downtown Frankfurt and no-one told them.

I bet I could have seen the light from Schwetzingen if I had known of your test.... okay....kidding.

Cheers
Thorsten

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened

That is an obscene amount of light!

I bet you scared the crap outta the people in those buildings!

A truly amazing build :huh:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

S**T you even dare doing a white wall testing on that beast lol...

CKOD

Enlightened

S**T you even dare doing a white wall testing on that beast lol...
Any other color would simply ignite :nana:

overdog

Enlightened

Thank you Thorsten ( Schwetzingen, formerly known as "Sunshine Live" city :thumbsup:) Trancersteve, risky_p and CKOD...

Today I ordered the reflectors, hopefully in 2 weeks I can go on with modding to improve the intensity of the beam...

best regards,
Steffen.

naiter

Newly Enlightened

Every time I visit this website I discover something else that blows my mind.

WTF is wrong with you guys?!? I always thought I was extreme, but this is nuts!

Great light. The brightness hurt my eyes just from the pictures.

overdog

Enlightened

...Great to see CPF back again!

Thank you Greta and thanks to all who helped to bring it back!!!:clap:

overdog

Enlightened

..I updated the first post with missing pics and beamshots, also please take a look HERE ! (..hate myself for doing this- were is the lottery-win when you need it...)

Best regards,
Steffen.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened

AMAZING!!!! you should build a quad CSM-360 light!

overdog

Enlightened

Thank you!
Great idea, but to my mind not easy to get four of them into any portable flashlighthead and also it will not be easy to find some reflectors that will focus the light to some acceptable beam.. This weekend I finished a quad xm-l u2 light, 5 modes, highest at about more than 6Ah, fourth at 3,5 Ah, nice focused beam.. I will post pics next week in forum.. hope you will like it..

best regards,
Steffen

Kameny

Newly Enlightened

Hi I really want to know if this flashlight it's on sale or if there is any possibility to buy those type of leds.. or where can I find them.
Thx :)

AutoTech

Enlightened

Wow.

Anyone else remember the scene from National Lampoons christmas vacation where Clarke flicks his xmas lights on and the neighbours get blinded? It's what crossed my mind when I saw the pics of it lighting up the buildings.

brunoartilheiro

Newly Enlightened

Hi, did you used any driver? I'm trying to do something like this...

-3x luminus sst-90 in line
-3+3 18650 4000mA (11.1V / 8000mA)

Is it possible to this without driver? Can i add a dimmer? What driver and dimmer?

I wish that you can help because i don't understand very much about this:confused:

overdog

Enlightened

@ brunoartilheiro: in a triple SST-90 lots of combinations are possible, to my mind the SST-90 in special for this triple combination need three things at first: very good heatsinking, compared to other emitters bigger wires for the higher amperage (f.e. 20 or better 18awg silver coated teflon wire) and nothing but IMR cells for excellent and save power. Next four links may help you to build your light:

this , alsothis , andthis , andthat .

best regards,
Steffen.

Last edited:

overdog

Enlightened

hello cartones5,
thank you for interest, but I will not build another light like this,
best regards,
steffen

Last edited: