jtice

Flashaholic
They discontinued the M2 steel !!???!?!?! :rant:

Thats too bad, I love that steel,
I have an M2 Nimravus, and 710

wquiles

Flashaholic
BM Mini-Ritter (weekday EDC)

BM Presidio M520 Plain Edge with custom 3D Scales (weekend EDC)

IMG_2534.JPG

Will

cbxer55

Enlightened
Rukus or Skirmish. I have both, and one or the other goes with me everywhere, just as my Surefire U2, Kimber 1911, and Leatherman Charge TI do.

I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with! You can do small things with a big knife, you cannot do big things with a small knife! If I need a small knife, that is what the Leatherman is for. I keep a Kershaw Leek and a CRKT M16 in my desk at work for mundane things.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
cbxer55 said:
I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with! You can do small things with a big knife, you cannot do big things with a small knife!
Well said - I feel the same way. My large Presidio (pictured above), is my favorite EDC knife. The "only" reason I use the smaller BM (yellow one) as EDC during the week at work, is that at work they have a 3" knife rule so my Presidio at 3.4" is too large ;)

Will

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my favorite is the only one I have, which is a Rainbow Benchmite. I must say though, ever since I saw one up for sale here last month, I believe it was a 770 with carbon fiber scales (black blade), I can't get it out of my mind. I thought about it a little too long, and when I finally worked up the gumption to get it, it was sold (crud!). It was in mint condition and was only $110. (Darn it!)

CLHC

Flashaholic
cbxer55 said:
I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with!
wquiles said:
Well said - I feel the same way.
Exactly! I've never entertained the thought of carrying a knife, or knives, for the purpose of "self-defense" use. But primarily as a tool. The "neato" factor comes into play too!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
cbxer55 said:
I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with!

I assume that's a reply to my post?. Well guess what? nor do I, and thats not what I said either. What I was trying to get at is that the AFCK wasn't a suitable edc IMO. The AFCK has "stab" written all over it, the slender tip and blade geometry screams penetration, the deep handle recess is there to stop your hand slipping up the blade when you use a stabbing motion. Chris Caracci (designer, and former seal) along with benchmade didn't name it the Advanced Folding Combat Knife for nothing. I carry larger heavier knives myself, but they aren't designed just to penetrate, as thats something I rarely do everyday and I would imagine most other people don't either.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
SolarFlare said:
I assume that's a reply to my post?. Well guess what? nor do I, and thats not what I said either. What I was trying to get at is that the AFCK wasn't a suitable edc IMO. The AFCK has "stab" written all over it, the slender tip and blade geometry screams penetration, the deep handle recess is there to stop your hand slipping up the blade when you use a stabbing motion. Chris Caracci (designer, and former seal) along with benchmade didn't name it the Advanced Folding Combat Knife for nothing. I carry larger heavier knives myself, but they aren't designed just to penetrate, as thats something I rarely do everyday and I would imagine most other people don't either.
Why is unsuitable for utility use? Every knife has its own blade shape, grind, etc. There's plenty of knives that I can think of that have similar blades that don't have this "stabbing" stigma you've attatched to it. Plenty of knives that have a finger choil as well (the Spyderco UKPK comes to mind). God forbid that I cut myself because the knife I used to covertly deanimate some cardboard boxes because it would make a knife a "better stabber".

And so effing what if it's called one thing or another (FWIW, it's called the Advanced Folding Camp Knife now)? Calling a knife "The Baby Dicer" or "The Fluffy Bunny Knife" doesn't make it any more or less suitable as a weapon or a tool.

A knife is a tool. There is nothing inherently evil or dangerous to other people about a tool. "Weapon" comes from intent, and intent comes from a person. Be scared of bad people, not inanimate objects.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
How on earth would you know which knives I attatch a "stabbing stigma" to other than the one I have mentioned?. Yeah most knives have a finger recess, but few as deep as the AFCK, its new sanitised name doesn't change the intended use of its designer. I can only assume you don't have an AFCK, or you don't use knives daily, other than for killing your cardboard boxes. As for knives being tools I completely agree and in my opinion the AFCK isn't the tool for me ;)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried a knife in my pocket since I was 15 (I'm 26). My favorite knives are balisongs and autos (which are completely legal here). My EDC for the past few months is a Bradley Mayhem balisong. Before that it was a Benchmde 42MC (the 42's weehawk blade is definitely what I'd call "stabby", but I've never stabbed anybody).

I had an AFCK for a couple weeks and traded it (for a 705-401). Later that week I bought a 710HS. I didn't really like the AFCK; I felt the finger cutout was too far back and I prefer to grip closer to the blade. I also felt the handle was too long and butt-heavy, and I prefer thumbstuds over holes. It rode too high in tip-up position, and I don't much care for tip-down on a large knife. But never did I feel that it was too combat oriented or anything like that. For utility work, I do prefer a thinner, flatter grind than the AFCK has, even though the 42MC I carried hardly qualifies as that. But it was my first balisong, and even though I much prefer the bowie blade of the 43MC, there was no way that I'd carry it (too valuable). I think the Mayhem I carry now is just about perfect.

In any case, I still fail to see how the "intended use of its designer" has anything to do with the intended use of its user. Maybe it's good for "combat", but it works fine on cardboard and DVD wrappings too. Not that a knife intended for opening boxes can't be use for nefarious things (such as hijacking planes).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey that Bradley Mayhem balisong is something Planterz! I think that is one of the first of its kind to come with the S30V blade. Nice Ti handles. Way to go on that one :thumbsup:—I'm looking at the ones from 29 Knives!

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
SolarFlare said:
My favourite is the 941 osborne combo (OD), used to be my EDC and its a really nice knife for dressing out small game (rabbits, birds) cause of the slender clip point and the serations for sinews etc. The AFCK in my opinion is waaay to big for EDC and since I bought it I've never carried it, unless you're planning on going out for a knife fight, or to just kill somene it's not a good knife.

knives.jpg

Hi Solar Flare
sssh.gif

I'll give ya $50 cash for that AFCK. Cash in the mail.....

Around here that knife is perfectly legal and won't get a second glance from the police.

BTW, one of it's good points is that you can slice a large tomato or onion in one pass. The 4" blade helps with that.

Steve

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
Hey that Bradley Mayhem balisong is something Planterz! I think that is one of the first of its kind to come with the S30V blade. Nice Ti handles. Way to go on that one :thumbsup:—I'm looking at the ones from 29 Knives!
I really, really like the Mayhem. It's just about everything I want in a EDC balisong. I switched it up often between the 42MC and a 31. The 31 is great too, if you want something smaller.

When I got my first balisong, the 42MC, I almost got a 43MC, but went with the 42 because it was a more traditional balisong style. If only I knew then what I knew now, I would have gotten the 43MC (as many as I could). All the MCs dried up very soon after, and original ones command pretty high prices (although the 42s and 46s have been rereleased and are cheaper and easier to find). Only 50 43MCs were made. I was beyond lucky to get the one I did, and I got it for a song. I got half a dozen better offers for it before I even got it in the mail. I don't carry or use it, but I still love it.

The Mayhem however is just about perfect. The only thing better would be a Tachyon with a pocket clip, and the Mayhem is damn close to that (and with a spring latch too). The curved handles take a bit to get used to (and going back to regular ones is just as strange), but they're not too weird. The blade profile is great.

And btw folks, I'm not getting off topic talking about the Bradley Mayhem, because it's actually manufactured by Benchmade. ;)

I still need to pick up a Morpho and a Szabofly.

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
SolarFlare said:
My favourite is the 941 osborne combo (OD), used to be my EDC and its a really nice knife for dressing out small game (rabbits, birds) cause of the slender clip point and the serations for sinews etc. The AFCK in my opinion is waaay to big for EDC and since I bought it I've never carried it, unless you're planning on going out for a knife fight, or to just kill somene it's not a good knife.

knives.jpg

I sure like that Wilkins!

My favorite Benchmade is 940 Osborne and AFCK Axis--D2

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey what is that in the middle? And the AFCK definately has a cult following..NIB 806D2s go for $200

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than start another Benchmade thread for one question, let me ask it here: How well does the black color on the black bladed Benchmades hold up? (almost sounds like a toung twister, huh?)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Trashman said:
Rather than start another Benchmade thread for one question, let me ask it here: How well does the black color on the black bladed Benchmades hold up? (almost sounds like a toung twister, huh?)
I had it on a couple of Benchmades, so in my experience, it does wears out with use. It still protects the blade underneath (so it will not rust as long as there is some material covering the steel), but on the surface you can clearly see the scratches. If you "do" care about the looks of a knife, I would not get it. If you are using the knife, really using it so that you don't care about apearances, then it is a great protective coating.

I personally don't care for it on my small EDC knives (like the two shown above post#22), but I love it on my Nimravus which is strictly a field/camping knife ;)

Will

Last edited: