Favorite Benchmade??

cbxer55

Enlightened
I myself have two older AFCKs. One is a lefty and the other a righty. They are the old liner lock variety, and have many years in my pockets.I found the fine, needle point to be an excellent everyday use knife.Just not for stabbing. The only reason I do not carry them now is the Rukus and Skirmish have replaced them.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the 940(2 PE, 1 50/50 edge) series, but I could not get use to the opening studs. So I gave one to a good friend, sold one(blue handle, I should have kept that one), and traded one off.
I had a 705D2(PE), but once again, opening studs. My brother has that one.
I had a Skirmish(great knife, I'll get another someday), but I traded it off and picked up a Emerson CQC-8.
What I have in my pocket today is a 806D2(PE). I have had it awhile, and it isn't going anywhere. But they are getting hard to find, since they have been discontinued.
I like the Benchmades with an opening hole/oval of some sort(I am use to Spyderco's), the ones with studs are nice, but I just can't get use to the studs. I may snag another 940 someday, just in case.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
My favorite right now is the Benchmade Osborne 960RED. Just a beautiful knife, very smooth and D2 tool steel. Really well done.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have not used it much at all - my large EDC (BM520) gets the bulk of use. Better ask jtice - I know he has put his through many "workouts" ;)

Will

Niteowl

Enlightened
Nice AFCK, SolarFlare. Love the old-school round hole. Where'd you pick up that beauty? :)

I tend to side with SolarFlare on the practicality of the AFCK for an EDC. Try explaining to an LO why you carry it. Of course, place, time, and attitude play a role in the results. Not to say any large knife won't cause some grief with the law. Here in Wisconsin, laws are somewhat restrictive as to what one can carry, but it mostly comes down to the officers judgement. The "under three inch blade is OK" is largely an old wives tale here.

The only time I carry a blade that large and "threatening looking", is when I'm going somewhere it might "come in handy". These days with the biker crowd largely diluted with RUBs, I really don't worry about it. Only take the big blades out a couple times a year now for certain events, hunting and camping aside.

That said, I find the AFCK style blade/handle quite utilitarian. Therfore, my EDC.

IMGP0589.jpg

I've had this Mini-AFCK 812 for almost ten years now. It rotates with my 814, and I have another of each tucked away. The one in the pic is the only black blade.

For fancy nights out, it's a 705.

1.jpg

I really like the 705. Too bad they discontinued it. :scowl:

cbxer55

Enlightened
Niteowl,

I understand the Wisconsin restrictive thing. I used to kive in California! Now I reside in Oklahoma and have a concealed weapon permit. L.O.s here dont concern themselves with knife size when you can legaly pack as many guns on you concealed as you desire. I myself usually have a Kimber .45 on my right hip and a .32 Guardian on my left ankle. Plus one large folder and one small folder, a Surefire U2 and a Leatherman Charge TI.

In Oklahoma there is no length limit on knives. Some folks even dare to carry switchblades, rvrn though illegal. A L.O. friend said it is not a problem unless you are committing a crime.

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish that there were no lengh laws in Kansas but there is:thumbsdowI have carried my benchmade 9050 AFO out in public but i am nervus the hole flippen time. right now the 9050 is my favorite knife manly because it is the standard issue knife for the USCG and a lot of our troops over in iraq carry it. but for wright now it is manly just a "DAMN THATS A GOOD LOOKIN KNIFE".:)

cbxer55

Enlightened
I saw on Packing.org that Kansas just passed a concealed carry law. Effective January 2007. How does that make you feel? Good or bad? A lot of us thought that Kansas would never do it, like California. Hopefully they will be on the reciprical bandwagon as well.

Last edited:

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Instead of starting a new Benchmade thread.

Can anyone tell me if the 707 is as nice a small carry as it looks? How is it compared to the 705 and a mini grip? I know it's thinner but anything else better other than that? I will EDC this knife and use it pretty hard so pretty really isn't my main concern. Whatever I get it will have the Axis lock, will be small and probably a combo blade.

Thanks

Last edited:

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
My favorite Benchmade is the Benchmite auto. I found it during a trip to Rhode Island and took it home in my checked luggage while flying back to PA. Was glad to see it arrived safely.

My second favorite knife, although not a Benchmade is the Kershaw Mini Boa.

For non-office or construction type work, I carry a Spydeco native.

Last edited: