Favorite budget light 2019

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One I've found pretty handy lately and so I bought a few to gift this Christmas.

F8-AB6-A2-C-23-AB-429-F-A496-CBAFC9-D63-BA0.jpg

Kinda like a modern doctor light but with better flood. Great inspection light, shadow buster or finding a crayon under the sofa.
$5.99 at my local Food Lion

Alexlight

Newly Enlightened
Energizer Hardcase 2AA is a really nice budget variant of lights. I highly recommend it if you are lack of money.

stuart

Newly Enlightened
For $1 the current dollar store single AA isn't too bad. I've tried a few different dollar store lights out of curiosity but they typically have the rotary 3AAA battery. This is the first time I
I've seen a single AA. Was gonna post pics but can't do so. Its about 5 lumens with a head about the same diameter as the Malkoff houng dog. Throw type beam. It has a secondary "flood" function on the side that would be used if you stand the light bezel down.

Yoshid1

Newly Enlightened
My favorite is the Nicron N7. Single AA, but with a 14500 its for sure my favorite.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by the overall number of posts, the FW3A is probably the most popular around here. Though, I'm not a fan of it. The budget light I'd recommend is still the same one over the past couple of years: the BLF A6. Simple, reliable, bright, and tough. Cheap, too!

Oh, and pretty nice tints, too.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rofis MR50 for $24 is really nice for a budget light:
+ good UI
+ Extremely good type III hard anodize. Some of the best done anodizing I've seen on any light
+ Cool white tint, but not overly cool and not greenish.
+ good 2500 lumen output.
+ comes with very good 21700 cell.
+ Built-in charging circuit and can be used as a powerbank to charge other devices.
+ feels great in the hand with a nice rounded shape.
+ heatsinking with one-piece body seems pretty good.
+ in build quality of the light and accessories, it feels more like a $70 light than a $24 light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
+ in build quality of the light and accessories, it feels more like a $70 light than a $24 light.
I don't see this light anywhere for sale for $24..... Ebay has it for $40 from China and everyone else has it for $55+

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's currently on sale for $24 at Amazon. Free one-day delivery with Prime too!

Thanks. I don't have prime. Looks like a few folks had problems with the light from the reviews. I wonder if there is a 18650 to 21700 adapter so I don't have to buy more 21700 batteries.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ good UI
+ Extremely good type III hard anodize. Some of the best done anodizing I've seen on any light
+ Cool white tint, but not overly cool and not greenish.
+ good 2500 lumen output.
+ comes with very good 21700 cell.
+ Built-in charging circuit and can be used as a powerbank to charge other devices.
+ feels great in the hand with a nice rounded shape.
+ heatsinking with one-piece body seems pretty good.

I will take your word on this! Actually, I just got a Rofis M70 and it is everything you just said, just a bit larger. I also bought another light that was supposed to use an 18650, but when I got it, needed a 21700. I was shopping for a good battery for it, and came across your post. I just ordered the MR50 and will get a great light and battery for just a bit more than a good battery by itself would have cost! Thanks!! :twothumbs

stuart

Newly Enlightened
Here's the $1 light I mentioned earlier from the dollar store. Single AA. About 5 lumens but throwy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Krom

Newly Enlightened
I picked up 10 Olight i3E EOS lights to give as gifts. Of course I kept one for my own pocket.

watt4

Enlightened
Here's the $1 light I mentioned earlier from the dollar store. Single AA. About 5 lumens but throwy.

Thanks for the tip. I tried one out with a partly depleted AA. It ran all night long and had more runtime left.

iirc, dollar tree has AA alkalines at 3 for $1. So, for less than $5 you could get three lights and three batteries. (cheap power outage kit)

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda surprised to hear that a Safety store had one of those in Real Tree camo color. Dropping it turned off at certain sites would cause it to vanish. I'd be impressed if it was in a Limited Edition yellow or orange color. We have a Safety store just a few blocks away from my night shift job. The owner must be raking in millions of dollars from the on-going/never ending city construction at LaGuardia airport just a stone's throw away. :thumbsdow

You talking about the store on 84th/Astoria Blvd? Next to a bagel joint? Saved my butt when I forgot boots

jrgold

Enlightened
Sofirn sp40 headlamp. About $20-$30 depending on sales. Included protected 18650, quality head strap, usb charging, range of color temps you can choose from, also includes an 18350 tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip. I tried one out with a partly depleted AA. It ran all night long and had more runtime left.

iirc, dollar tree has AA alkalines at 3 for $1. So, for less than $5 you could get three lights and three batteries. (cheap power outage kit)

I've been using one to consume all the old AA cells I'm afraid to use in my nicer lights. It really does run a long time on junk cells. If they still have some next time I'm at $Tree, perhaps I'll pick up a couple more.