Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Yeah what green said :p

The far edge of the flood on my digicam
162919211-M.jpg

Spot on the cam
162919572-M.jpg

Biking at night felt like I was a car! :D

Nice setup. Tho it reminded me of http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=1&hl=en&rls=WZPA,WZPA:2005-39,WZPA:en&sa=N the top image of the Marlbro monster from the Gameboy Advance version of Final Fantasy Tactics. Still the setup looks nice.

How much does the helmet weight with all that on? Do you feel top heavy when you make left/right head turns to check for traffic?

Zero_Enigma

alexlockhart

Newly Enlightened
If you buy the three pack designed for a u-lock at a bike shop you get two with shorter straps and one with a longer strap.

The ones with the shorter straps are only good for lights 7/8" diameter and smaller, down to Arc AAA sized (pretty much all AA lights and some but not all CR123). The longer strap won't work on a Arc AAA, but will work with bigger lights and works great with 1" diameter lights and maybe up to a C cell at most.

EDIT** I expect the ones from 4 sevens may only be long strap models if he is buying in bulk, but I'm not sure.

4sevens, is this true? Is the 3pack of lockblocks 2 with short straps and one with long, like the lockblocks in bike shops, designed for mounting a bike lock on the bar and stem? Or is it 3 of the "flashlight" holders, with the shorter straps?

I'm about to order, but I want to be sure of what I'm getting first.

BTW, I'll be using them for mounting a flashlight on my helmet like you did, but not 5 at once!!

Alex

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens, is this true? Is the 3pack of lockblocks 2 with short straps and one with long, like the lockblocks in bike shops, designed for mounting a bike lock on the bar and stem? Or is it 3 of the "flashlight" holders, with the shorter straps?

I'm about to order, but I want to be sure of what I'm getting first.

BTW, I'll be using them for mounting a flashlight on my helmet like you did, but not 5 at once!!

Alex
Yes, these are the genuine lock blocks from twofish :D
That three pack is simply the same product without the retail packaging
since I purchased them in bulk.
Hey 4 sevens - you have redefined "light-headed".
:nana:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, these are the genuine lock blocks from twofish :D
That three pack is simply the same product without the retail packaging
since I purchased them in bulk.
I'm confused by 4Sevens response. I can tell from experience that their are two sizes of lockblock straps. The short ones will NOT work on a 1" diameter light like HDS. The long ones work great on HDS and will work on Fenix L2D, but not as well as the shorter strap versions.

If 4sevens is buying in bulk are all straps the same size?

Here is a comparison picture:
4lqeon6.jpg

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused by 4Sevens response. I can tell from experience that their are two sizes of lockblock straps. The short ones will NOT work on a 1" diameter light like HDS. The long ones work great on HDS and will work on Fenix L2D, but not as well as the shorter strap versions.

If 4sevens is buying in bulk are all straps the same size?

Here is a comparison picture:
4lqeon6.jpg

The lockblocks come with one short strap and one long strap.

jfloewen

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably going to get an L2D, either the Cree or the new R100, and perhaps with a L1D body, for adaptability. Questions:

1. I expect it'll displace the DiNotte 200L from my helmet; the DiNotte can live on the derailleur tube stub of my Catrike recumbent trike or on the derailleur tube of my Rans recumbent bike. Is that the right way to deploy these -- DiNotte low and forward and L2D at the helmet?

2. Has anyone successfully used a flashlight on the DiNotte helmet mount? Is it kludge-y?

3. Helmet weight is non-trivial Is the Bikeblock significantly heavier than the Zefal Doodad plus? (Can't find weights listed.)

4. If I were to want to put the flashlight on the Catrike derailleur stub, it'd be a squeeze, since I like for my cyclocomputer to live there. Since I'd need a perpendicular mount, I'd want to use the Lockblocks (as opposed to the parallel Bikeblocks). How wide are the Lockblocks -- i.e. how much of the tube does the strap claim?

Thanks,

Joe

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yep. I just added a combo package

3x Fenix P3D's
3x Lock block light mounts
2x AW 139 dual bay chargers
10x AW RCR123 cells

I'm looking for the most light for the longest continual run time for my bike and would appreciate a real world perspective.

I'm considering the P3D but there's one sticking point. Maximum output is listed as Turbo Mode, 160 or 200 lumens depending on the model. But my understanding is that Turbo Mode has a limited run time of like 10 minutes before to much heat builds up. If so, then these are actually limited to 90 or 112 lumens for actual riding.

Do I have this right? Because it would mean that the highest continuous output is from the L2T 2.0, with 140 lumens.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the most light for the longest continual run time for my bike and would appreciate a real world perspective.

I'm considering the P3D but there's one sticking point. Maximum output is listed as Turbo Mode, 160 or 200 lumens depending on the model. But my understanding is that Turbo Mode has a limited run time of like 10 minutes before to much heat builds up. If so, then these are actually limited to 90 or 112 lumens for actual riding.

Do I have this right? Because it would mean that the highest continuous output is from the L2T 2.0, with 140 lumens.

Thanks!

Don't worry. Heat is no problem on a bike, because air flow cools your flashlight sufficiently.

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
the p3d 100 has an actual output of around 160 lumens...
i've used it on my bike in the turbo setting for over 2 hours (with one batter change) and the light is fine.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I was thinking that even with an LxT, I would get special/exclusive batteries (eneloops) anyway so why not get special batteries that provide even more output and run time. Thank you gentlemen, heat was the last hurtle. :)

boog

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a better picture of this or a link to one on the forum?

How does it mount to the handlebar? I have a 31.8mm oversized bar, so I want to make sure it fits.

Thanks.

Just received my rebel 100 model P2D and a three pack of lockblocks. I have the light mounted on my Specialized Allez with oversized bars right now. Just use the long velcro strap and you will be fine.

boog

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that the Fenix light beam is too narrow for a bike. Is that true?

Which flashlight is suitable for bike light? I like a light that has broad beam.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's a link to the setup I just started messing around with today (just received my newly-ordered L2D flashlights).

Dual Fenix L2D Premium 100 Flashlight/Headlight Setup

And here's one of the photos. I'll probably end up sliding the lights back a bit in the mount, but this is just my first day's experiment in mounting them on the bike.

070904-016a.jpg

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few photos of the TwoFish Lockblocks with a Fenix L2D Premium 100 and a totally unrelated CF card (for perspective only). Sorry, these weren't done under the best lighting so detail in the blacks is not what it should be.

070905a-21a_small.jpg
070905a-02a_small.jpg

070905a-03a_small.jpg
070905a-06a_small.jpg
070905a-07a_small.jpg
070905a-19a_small.jpg

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the L4. The floody beam in perfect. It also lights up the ground around me so I can be easily seen. The L4's brightness may be overkill for some bike rides. The beam draws some double takes.

I've never used a Fenix on a bike. I think the Cree beam would probably have a good combination of throw and flood.