Fenix E01

RemcoM

Enlightened
Why is the fenix E01 not protected against dust, and humid air? There is no protection glass around the led itself, while other flashlights do have glass.

Why is that? Dust and moist/humid air can get come at the led.

kj2

Flashaholic
Why is the fenix E01 not protected against dust, and humid air? There is no protection glass around the led itself, while other flashlights do have glass.

Why is that? Dust and moist/humid air can get come at the led.

No need for a glass in front of the led they used. And at the bottom of the led, under the bezel, there's a o-ring. The light is IPX8, so it can handle water.

edit; see > http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Fenix-E01-unpotted-amp-driver-efficiency-data

wwgigy.jpg

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
I have an E05 and take it with me everyday.I bought it three months ago,but it works well and I haven't changed the battery once! Of course ,I only use it for a few minutes everyday.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
I'm considering ordering a few E01s, each with an Energizer L92, a stainless steel ball chain necklace, and a strip of SOLAS tape. This might make for a nice set of cheap lights for a power outage - everyone gets his/her own light! Of course, I'm probably the only one who would actually wear the light and/or get excited about it...

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Great lights at a great price. sure the tint sucks but as a simple cheap backup light/keychain light that's super reliable it still cant be beat . Kids like them as bedtime lights to scare away monsters too.

ragweed

Enlightened
You can easily cure the tint problem on the E01. Just search E01 steel wool treatment on this forum.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can easily cure the tint problem on the E01. Just search E01 steel wool treatment on this forum.

There I was thinking you were talking about getting Vinh to swap the LED for the warm one.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new E01 for less than $10, it was supposed to be Olive but it's more of a Natural HA III, I like it better than the greener olive. The new E01 is quite a bit brighter than the ones I bought in 2008 and 2009, it is much whiter too, Fenix must have done an upgrade since then.
Pictured below is my new E01 and the one I purchased in 09, my friend has been carrying it on his keys for a couple years and he throws his keys around like there is no light on them.

Last edited:

chazz

Enlightened
Nice, if they did finally update the E01 to a actual white tint emitter, I may have to buy a couple more.

So no typical blue/purple bowtie beam? How about some beam shots with old vs new? :)

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is pretty white, here is a beamshot, an old one with scratchpad mod on left and new one on right. My friend has the old one that has not been scratch padded and it is very purple, the old one in this pic looks white and is floody in comparison.

chazz

Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the pic. It looks improved for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
YW, Maybe I can get a pic of the old one my friend has that hasn't been scratch padded with my new one tomorrow.

chazz

Enlightened
Looks like the specs have been changed on the Fenix webpage? New runtime of 16.5 hrs, didn't it used to be 21 hrs?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if it's fully regulated for the whole 16 1/2 hrs.

No way, the old one was 8 - 10 hours followed by supposedly about 10 hours moon mode. The new one looks like it is about 15 lumens , it is quite a bit brighter than my older ones so there is no way it will maintain that brightness for 16 hours, I imagine at least half that 16h runtime is moon mode.

Edit: Runtime approximations based on nimh batteries.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an old E01 from when they first came out. I picked up a brand new one a few month ago from REI and I noticed the same as others have commented—the new one is quite a bit brighter and has a whiter beam.

The old one rode on my work keychain for over 7 years, was tossed to coworkers all the time and dropped pretty regularly (some coworkers can't catch :)). Still works just fine. Never once a problem from it. E01s rocks!!