Fenix E01

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a lot of us are in agreement. Swap the emitter for a 5 mm Yuji, but leave the rest alone. Basically an E01vn but with full potting.

Unfortunately, it sounds like that won't be happening even with the Sofirn C01 project showing there is significant interest in such a project. Given slowtechstef's report that the Netherlands distributor has been unable to order new stock for a while, I suppose the E01 being slated to be discontinued might be why Fenix had such a unenthusiastic response to jon_slider's inquiries about doing a special edition or group buy with the Yuji.

Fortunately, I have an E01 of my own, and no doubts it will continue to serve me for years, alongside several similar Yuji-equipped lights I hope to have soon.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Claiming the E01 is flawless is just fanboyism. Sorry, but when people are spending multiple times the base cost of a stock E01 for an E01VN or countless posts about steel wool treatments, there's clearly a flaw.

Change can be good. Again, if it weren't for Fenix's previous change to the E0, we would never have the E01.

There are countless different changes that Fenix could make to further bring to a new E012. They could drop in a more efficient LED and leave the driver alone like they done when going from the E0 to E01 or they could throttle the output to keep it the same as the E01 and improve runtime. They could go for a better beam quality 5MM LED like the Yuji, no glass and reflector needed.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Claiming the E01 is flawless is just fanboyism. Sorry, but when people are spending multiple times the base cost of a stock E01 for an E01VN or countless posts about steel wool treatments, there's clearly a flaw.

Fair point actually :thumbsup: Even the E01vn isn't perfect because it loses the potting that makes the E01 virtually indestructible in the first place.

EDIT: See correction in subsequent posts. Potting is an option in the E01vn.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
we knew it was coming :(

Im amazed it has lasted this long and I love the light. its with me every day . but even those who have no interest or knowledge of flashights have started to comment negatively on my E01s. the low output and horrible tint they cant understand why I waste my time with it and then whip out their lights and blow my little E01 away. But it doesn't bother me. They just don't get it .
Their loss. I will not type it all out again, but it's well documented why the E01 is one of the greatest illumination tools ever produced.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a reminder, if you ask Vinh he will pot the EO1vn for you.

At $48, maybe more with potting, doesn't this really take away one of the best things about the E01? That is, it's an inexpensive tough light?

Hey, it's great that vin offers this service, and I get that some people want it, but it's a cheap light turned into an expensive one. IMO, vin's services make more sense for an already expensive light.

If Fenix could charge $48 for an E01 with a better emitter, I'm sure they'd do it. But there can't be much interest at that price point, or the proposed group buy would have gone better.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully nothing. But electronics generally fail at some point but... my 1990's minimag still has the original bulb...

Mine too, and it still sucks. IMO, most gadgets (including flashlights) suck, long before they die. I'd say 90% of my lights fall into disuse after just a few months. But some, I still use regularly after 5 years. I can't ever imagine using one for 100 years, though, even if my replacement robot body survives that long.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20181130-164850.jpg

This one is 101 years old and it isn't even potted.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a huge believer in potting. I took one of the E01vn and put it through more water torture than it ever should have been put through. I literally booted it into a creek at one point

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the fact that potting is only legal in like 10 or so states at this point. Anywho....here is a pic of today's E01. Dremeled and sanded led head on a fairly new body. This head has a really floody\white output without a hint of blue or purple.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
I'm not a huge believer in potting. I took one of the E01vn and put it through more water torture than it ever should have been put through. I literally booted it into a creek at one point

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy BALLS......it's official. I wasn't gonna cry until Fenix actually confirmed it. :mecry: