Fenix PD35 "TAC" 2015 (XP-L V5, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
I use 18350 IMR from Efest (red) 800mAh and Xtar 850mAh.
Constant output (also on turbo) till the batts are empty. The only thing noticed is that on 2x18350 all my flashlights get warm quicker.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review, I would only add that on my Tac you cannot let up completely on the button when switching in Tac mode & although working well you cannot be 100 percent sure to find strobe or low....at least with my light. We have cold weather here & this is used on my bike, with 45 minutes of run time on Turbo there is no heat in the head that I can feel. This is a nice light.

MISS DIVA

Newly Enlightened
Big thanks to Candle Lamp for such a detailed review, I also appreciate the info on the different types of batteries. As a newbie, I need to make sure that I'm up to speed on such matters.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Question - how long do people feel this model will remain the most current for the PD35 line? Will there likely be a 2016 update?

I'm really not in need of another flashlight (as I'm sure many of you can relate to lol), but I'm contemplating ordering this model... Not sure if I should wait until later this year to see if Fenix releases anything new that might suit my interests... Looking for another 18650 compatible light...

Thanks!

ven

Flashaholic
Got to be a 2016 version, probably at a guess their best seller or at least best seller in their 18650 range!

Not sure where they can go within reason though,xhp35(is that an upgrade though? or more a side ways...... )........even the original and 2014 hold their own imo.

BGater

Enlightened
Question - how long do people feel this model will remain the most current for the PD35 line? Will there likely be a 2016 update? I'm really not in need of another flashlight (as I'm sure many of you can relate to lol), but I'm contemplating ordering this model... Not sure if I should wait until later this year to see if Fenix releases anything new that might suit my interests... Looking for another 18650 compatible light... Thanks!
I got this light on a black friday sale, and have been using it daily. Im using panasonic protected 3400 18650s. This a very long battery and I was supprised to see it fit just fine. The low could be a bit lower, but it has worked fine so far and not destroyed my nite vision. Only big problem I have found is im constantly fumbling to find the side switch. Most times I just keep pressing the side of the light while rolling it till the brightness changes. Maybe its just cold hands and cold light this time of year, I just cant feel the switch. With gloves on, forget it. Something like the TN12 side button would be nice. Overall I would def buy it again. For an EDC type flashlight it cranks out a ton of light when you need it.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I got this light on a black friday sale, and have been using it daily. Im using panasonic protected 3400 18650s. This a very long battery and I was supprised to see it fit just fine. The low could be a bit lower, but it has worked fine so far and not destroyed my nite vision. Only big problem I have found is im constantly fumbling to find the side switch. Most times I just keep pressing the side of the light while rolling it till the brightness changes. Maybe its just cold hands and cold light this time of year, I just cant feel the switch. With gloves on, forget it. Something like the TN12 side button would be nice. Overall I would def buy it again. For an EDC type flashlight it cranks out a ton of light when you need it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this light... I just recently got an Olight S2 Baton which also uses a side switch... I noticed in some reviews individuals were reporting having problems feeling the side switch with their hands - and I could see how that might be an issue... What I found works well is to position the pocket clip in such a position that your hand can use it as a reference point for locating the side switch. So you will know when grabbing the flashlight by the feel of the position of the pocket clip that you will have to alter its orientation in your hand (spin it) and then you will know exactly where to feel for the side switch... Hope this helps...

Last edited:

BGater

Enlightened
Thats what I probably need to do. I took the pocket clip off because it would sometimes get caught on the holster while trying to slide the light back in. I always carry this size light on my belt. The clip does make for a great alignment reference point.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
am now through experimenting 2x power source with the TAC. Now have a fresh Keeppower 3500mah 10amp GA in it. With the GA power source the light does not get as hot as on 2x sources yet seems just as searingly bright. Battery life is MUCH greater on the GA cell. This new GA cell is no joke. I feel I am getting the utmost performance I can out of the TAC on this new cell. Ive got some 3600mah cells to play with as well will try them next. Have the new 2016 PD32 on order and cannot wait to compare it to the TAC....

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
At ~3,8V (if you have a luxmeter) will not have same brightness as with 2x18350...
Yes, the hot is bigger with 2x18350 on turbo mode, but this is because on 2x18350 can maintain a full voltage more time than with 1x18650.

All my flashlights which support 2x18350 are hotter on turbo mode after 3-4 minutes than with 1x18650 configuration, but only because the power light is constant on 2 power sources (is my supposition)

PS: I love my PD35 TAC :) , in this moment is the most insensible flashlight when the voltage drops below 3,8V ( PD35 best, Nitecore EC20 good, Olight S30R Javelot-the most sensible to voltage, suitable for 2x18350 config.)

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Celticcross- do/did you have a PD32UE and would you say there's a large difference btwn that and 35TAC?
Brightness? Throw? Color?
:)
Love my PD32UE, but if this is substantially brighter...

Thanks!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the 32UE long ago. Took it to a party one night to show it off. Put the light down for a moment turned back around and it was gone. Going by memory yes the TAC is absolutely brighter by a good margin. Its the tint that is vastly different. The UE had a nice neutral tint the TAC is a searingly bright white.

Lucent

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Do you know -what material the reflector is made from?

Thanks

Ahmet

Newly Enlightened
Fenix Tk32 Colored LEDs: just 66 Lumens. This very low bright. insufficient to search for the pigs :(

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few hours on the Tac, it is used on my bicycle with the Fenix mount. What I have found is the end button will not take constant switching in Tac mode. I burnt out one end cap & the 2nd was starting to fail. I switch between Turbo & strobe when I ride at night. I now use outdoor mode & that electronic switch will take the constant turbo to strobe switching. Probably only affects me.

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
vary nice review,i have had my 1st fenix PD35 about one year now,and i think its one grate flashlight,all the modes work vary well on this PD35,so if the PD35 tac is anything like my 1st one! i'll have anther thank you.:thumbsup:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my PD35 TAC today
Compared to my PD35 (year 2013 - 850 lumens) it looks much brighter
It looks beautiful but they are perplexed the metal button (button that changes the levels) has a slight lateral movement, I wonder if this is normal.
Can anyone answer this?
The torch seems bright but has a slight donut hole at the center of the spot, are undecided whether to return it.
Thanks

Latest posts