Fenix PD35 "TAC" 2015 (XP-L V5, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn fine review! I am gonna go order one of these right now, as I recently lost my beloved PD31.

My main gripe with many on the Fenix lights is the reverse-clicky that they so often use. I love the forward-clicky UI on this PD35 TAC.

Thanks again for taking the time to compile and post this review. Well done!

I'm sorry to hear you lost your PD31. And thanks for your support. Chevy-SS!

Jonnieb

Newly Enlightened
Damn fine review! I am gonna go order one of these right now, as I recently lost my beloved PD31.

My main gripe with many on the Fenix lights is the reverse-clicky that they so often use. I love the forward-clicky UI on this PD35 TAC.

Thanks again for taking the time to compile and post this review. Well done!

Yes, excellent review. I just purchased one of these for my brother, and he loves it!

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
well I got the red efests and tried them out in the TAC. Very noticeable increase in output! It also got to hot to hold in like 30 seconds so I took the red efests out. Chose another candidate for them carefully and put them in my XB-H Predator and the increase in max output is well over 100 lumens. The visual difference from the GA cell I had in it to these is very clear. I bought 6 more of these cells
Like I told you .. :)
Without any laboratory measurements, it's clearly brighter on 2x18350.
Indeed does get hot earlier on turbo, but for demonstration, is totally crazy :)
In level 4 I didn't notice a difference in temperature 1x18650 vs 2x18350.
All my flashlights get hot earlier in 2x18350 configuration (I use a lot in Olight M22, Olight S30 Javelot, Eagletac T200C2 - here 2x16340) .
Of course you don't get the runtime like on 1x18650, but is ok, full led power to the end of batteries.

PS: you must see the Fenix LD50 in 4x18350 configuration :) 300 or 400 lumens difference for sure . But yes, also this flashlight became hot (very hot) earlier in this config than on 2x18650 (anyway this flashlight became hot on level 4 even with 2x18650) but the amount of light is crazy

Sorry for post delay.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
running the TAC on an unprotected GA and for some reason it gets warm but not hot its strange but the light still cranks like crazy. An LD50 in 4x18350? eeeyow!

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Yes, all my flashlights became a little hotter with 1x18650 unprotected (I use Sony VTC4 or Efest purple unprotected ) I can not measure the amount of light comparing with 18650 protected, but I think most of 18650 protected are not able to deliver full voltage which is need it...maybe this is the reason why the flashlight is a little warmer with unprotected, it can deliver the necessary voltage.
The difference is easy to see in HKJ tests, same cell protected and unprotected, always the protected cell give less voltage under the same load (for 1x18650 flashlight I follow the 3Amps curve) which in 1x18650 flashlight is very important ! 0,2-0,3 Volts can make the diference of 100-150 lumens.

This is a reason why I don't like so much the protected cells in 1x18650 configuration, at 3Amps (a value which many flashlight use in max power) the voltage drops quickly.

I made a test, protected (Panasonic 3400mAh) at 3,9V have same brightness like unprotected (Sony VTC4) at 3,7V.
At the same voltage 3,7V the protected cell give less power to flashlight.

The benefits we all know for protected cells, I use them also because of the good safety (sometimes when I play with flashlights and I drink few beers I forget to shut them down :)) . . It happened few times when protection circuit do the job and shut down the cells :)

Anyway, even with unprotected IMRs (Efest red 16340) I didn't "succeed" to broke them even if the flashlight stop working (on Eagletac T200C2 and on Nitecore EC1) , I don't know how are other IMRs , but this Efests are very hard to broke them :))

Last edited:

Saddlerman

Newly Enlightened
Great review as allways ,new here but have been reading a lot of your reviews :twothumbs

RemcoM

Enlightened
Does the PD35 TAC, blind other people, when mounted on a bicycle? On max/turbomode?

I want order this, to have a very good bikelight.

What is the kcD?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
on max the TAC will absolutely blind or dangerously distract oncomers. As a bikelight only run it at a medium mode at max you may blind someone into an accident.

CD is 12-13500

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Does the PD35 TAC, blind other people, when mounted on a bicycle? On max/turbomode?

I want order this, to have a very good bikelight.

What is the kcD?
I don't know if can blind, but I can confirm that is very disturbing in high mode (500 lm) and turbo. Even the cars from the oposite way make flashes if I'm on 500 lm or on turbo (on turbo with fresh cell is crazy bright ) .

I use it on the bike on level 1,2 and 3, level 3 is enough for most of the roads on bike. When I go on dirty road, level 4 (500 lm) is absolutely enough to have a clear vision on the road.

PS: well...sometimes I put two flashlights on the bike (Fenix PD35 and Nitecore EC20) total crazy when both lights are on max mode :naughty:

flips712

Newly Enlightened
Hi Octavian,

If you could only choose one for outdoor use would you go with the Fenix PD35 or the Nitecore EC20? I've been eyeing both of these to use for late night runs to illuminate areas in the distance on a long kinda creepy dark street. Thanks!

PDXBG1521

Newly Enlightened
Received the light, love it so far except for 1 UI issue. Getting to the strobe feature isn't as quick or intuitive as I found with the Olight M20.

In tactical mode: full click turbo/off/strobe/off slow, under stress this isn't very intuitive (practice I guess)
In Outdoor mode: each click cycles thru each brightness and strobe is activated by the side button. The side button is too difficult to reach went in a thumb-on clicky position.

In the OlightM20 the side button is the default strobe button regardless and its under the index finger not the pinky

I know its nit picky and not something I will have to often but after having the Olight it is noticeable. Otherwise I love the light. The quality is excellent. For self defense the size is great for EDC and use as an impact weapon but immediate access to the strobe is critical, having to click it 2x to get there is not ideal.

More as I get used to using it and practice with the UI

Primary use will be for FF/EMT, have had occasion for the strobe to come into play.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
no need to full press your way to turbo in tactical mode. Half pressing to it then full clicking to lock on is all you need to do.

Fulaeetoy

Newly Enlightened
When using a Panasonic 3400mah Protected batteries, i noticed that the pd35 tac won't go on turbo mode. No visible changes on high and turbo mode when at 3.8v. Do i need to buy unprotected ones like the vtc5? Is this normal for the light won't go up turbo when it drops at 3.8v?

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
since this light is coming up on 1.5 years old. does anybody know if there is an update version in the works? regardless i don't know how much more the upgrades could be possible. but you never know! thank you.

benjimon

Newly Enlightened
The runtime graph. You manually turned each light back up to turbo after 5 mins and it thermally regulated the output?

Would you recommend doing this after the step down from high to med?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime graph. You manually turned each light back up to turbo after 5 mins and it thermally regulated the output?

Would you recommend doing this after the step down from high to med?

As I mentioned in my review, the light steps down on Turbo mode after 5 mins runtime. It's the timed drop-down feature. In my view, there will be no step-down on High mode.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what would be nice if there is a XHP50 Hi version of this light, since it was mostly designed for general purpose, having an XPL Hi emitter would be more ideal if it was designed for throw. Is there indeed a 2017 version of this light in the works? Been holding off purchasing this light as this point.

Thanks.