First EDC flashlight, help!

chizzholm

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I've been reading through the forums for a week or two and decided to join, seems like a very great community. So I know you've guys probably seen the "help me find the best edc light " post 1069 times... lol. But I just have questions about two lights which I've narrowed it down to and any other suggestions on similar lights would be muchly appreciated :)

First a little about me.. EDC is a new interest of mine, I've just began getting into this addictive hobby a few months ago and so far I find myself to be a minimalist. I almost exclusively wear jeans all year round, cargo shorts in the summer, and i'm carrying, Benchmade Mini Grip OR Spyderco Delica 4 clipped to my right front pocket; my wallet (waiting for my Recycled Firefighter Sergeant in the mail :D) in my front right; Fisher Spacepen in 5th pocket (change pocket); Burt's Bee' front left; iPhone 5c front left; and my keys are on my rear belt loop. Having my knife clipped to my pocket and my keys hanging off my belt loop, I'd like to carry a flashlight in my pocket, and have it out of sight.

With that being said I feel something I'm lacking is a nice, compact, bright, LED flashlight! Sounds easy enough.. Then I began reading these forums and looking around online, and I've quickly noticed it'll be no easy choice.. lol. Hence why I'm now here to get advice from you fine ladies and gentlemen that seem to know your stuff about torches!

Some things i'm looking for are: clicky button prefered (although I've never used a twisty head, opinions?), moonlight mode, AA or rechargeable cr123 preferred, small enough to carry inside a pocket, decent brightness, and memory.

Fenix E12:
This was my first choice of a torch, it has a decent lumen output, nice streamline build, its small enough, no clip, it takes an AA battery which is a big plus for me as cr123 batteries are expensive around here.. I like its price of only $30 too. If it had a moonlight mode, was a bit brighter, had a memory and was a little shorter I think this would be the one.

Olight S10r Baton:
My second choice which I came across last night while browsing the forums. I love the fact this light has a max output of 400 lumens, a moonlight mode, memory, magnetic bottom, option of pocket clip if i find out that is the way i wish to carry it. It being rechargeable is a big plus for me too, since its a cr123 light.

My questions to the candlepower community are:
How do the two lights compare in size? I've read the specs but a picture of the two lights, or personal opinion would be nice.
How about brightness? I know the S10R's output over doubles the E12, but is it worth it? Keeping in mind that this will be my one and only flashlight.
Battery life?

Open to any suggestions on any other lights as I'm sure there is a ton that I'm missing! Preferably in the price range somewhere between the E12 and S10R. I'm also interested about cr123 lights, if everything else sounds right, I'm sure I could bite the bullet and pay an extra few bucks every so often for cr123 batteries :)

Thanks!
Chizzholm

Burnt_Umbra

Newly Enlightened
This might help. I do not have either light that you are trying to decide between, but I do have the primary battery version of the S10 Baton which I would consider pretty darn close. I bought my S10 Baton as the final step in my quest for a flashlight to carry in my pocket every day. Many years ago a friend showed me his Maratac AA version 1 and I ordered one the next day. A twisty with a low/medium/high that was so handy to have and so much more than any flashlight I had ever had. It was great.*
* * Then several months later my friend says to me, "if I had the money I would buy this new flashlight from Maratac that was copper. A cr123 copper

There was much more to this post but the "auto save" only saved about 25%. Please don't post this I'm just testing to see if I get the "you are not allowed" notice again. If it goes through I may take the time to type up my response for a third time. * *B_U

Burnt_Umbra

Newly Enlightened
seventh attempt...

* *... As I was saying my first pocket light was a Maratac AA twisty with three light levels and a clip that stuck out just enough to prevent the flashlight from tail standing. Next was a pretty cr123 copper twisty with three levels and no clip. This light felt so good in my hand that I would stand around with my hand in my pocket just holding it. It is heavy and came with its own entourage of a pelican box and a dozen fresh batteries. But one thing was bothering me. I was now reading CPF and I learned that moonlight was very useful. Having a flashlight without moonlight was like having a cat that ate song birds but couldn't be bothered to chase a mouse.
* * Thats when I bought the Olight S10 Baton. What a nice light. Small, lightweight clicky with three well spaced levels plus moonlight and a clip that I classify as tenacious. It stands on its tail and has a fairly strong magnet there so it even hangs by its tail. It became my favorite light. I liked this light so much that I began to worry I might lose it. I'm old and forgetful, what if I left it somewhere or loaned it to someone who didn't return it?*
* * The solution was the purchase of the S15 Baton. It has all the features of the S10 only not as bright except for moonlight which is pretty much the same. I run the S15 on eneloops and it is in my pocket everyday. But the S10 did not become a "shelf queen" it sticks to metal leg of my bedside table and I use it as my in house light. It only goes outside the house when I go some place that requires I wear a suit.*

* * Now you're looking at the S10r and I can not comment on the rechargeable aspect except to say I carry a fresh battery in a delrin battery capsule and that seems to work fine for me. *B_U

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off: charging is considered the least safe part of using a Li-ion battery, doing that inside a strong/closed metal tube is (for me) high up in the "what could possibly go wrong?" category. :eek: Even if using a good charger & battery.

Batteries can be swapped in seconds, you can charge multiple at once in an external charger, a charger need not be expensive & can be used to charge batteries for other lights too. Also if the battery is exchangeable, on the go you'd still have to swap it out if it runs empty & you want to continue using the light. So having a charger integrated with a light, adds only a little convenience but not much added value imho (and probably makes the light more expensive, too).

For those reasons I'd consider the 'regular' S10-L2 over the S10R.

Another thing to consider: RCR123's aren't as optimized as bigger Li-ions, the best you can get in this format is ~750 (or 800?) mAh. That's ~2.7 Wh = the same as a 1.3V / 2100 mAh NiMH in AA format. CR123A fares a lot better, but is relatively expensive and non-rechargeable.

The S15 takes batteries in AA format (including NiMH rechargeables), supports 14500 Li-ions too, and with those puts out ~280lm (according to spec, that is). That's a loooottt from an 1x AA sized light, and to the eye looks almost the same as 400lm.

Size-wise the difference between the S10 and S15 isn't big: ~1.5cm, with the S10 being shorter but also a bit thicker. Definitely the more compact light, though. So between those 2 Olights, go for the S10-L2 (or S10R) if you want the most compact/powerful 'pocket rocket' and limited battery choice isn't a problem. Go for the S15 if ~280lm are enough pocket rocket for you, and you prefer the wider choice in batteries.

That's coming from someone who doesn't have too many lights (yet! :devil: ), happens to have both Olight S10-L2 and S15, and likes both. You can't go wrong with either of those, but note there's a wide choice in good lights both in 1x (R)CR123 and 1x AA format. So definitely not pick either of them because they happen to be mentioned & praised in the beginning of this thread... ;)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Nitecore EC11, So far pretty impressed. I would add that to your list of lights to consider. This light will run on Regular CR123's and 18350's. That is a awesome option.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not on your list but I would recommend the Zebralight SC52w as a great option. It'll run on AA batteries and handle just about any EDC task you may come across. Gives you multiple moonlight modes, small compact size, works with any AA (Eneloop preferred) and gives the flexibility to use a 14500 if you want extra brightness. If you want even smaller and cr123 then try the SC32w, unbelievable how small the light is yet it's extremely powerful!

Dipti13

Newly Enlightened
I am using ZAP stun flashlights from last so many years and I would also suggest you these.