First Encounter with an HDS Rotary XP-G 200 Cool White

Lithium466

Enlightened
It is...actually I even find it too high sometimes...but I happen to have very good night vision :)
My gf, on the other hand, finds it too low!

When you're in the dark with fully night adapted vision, 0,02lm is more than enough to see where you're going.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be surprised if 0.02 lumens is bright enough to shine all the way through the lens.

Really, or are you just trying to be funny?:)

IF you are serious:
Have you never tried the minimum setting on your Rotary?
Have you never used your light on minimum to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
Have you never turned your rotary on at minimum during the day, and looked at the LED to see if its on?

If your answer is No, youre missing out.. I know you already own a light with a 0.02 minimum, wait til you try it, its Amazing!

IF you were kidding.. please add some emoticons, so I dont take your comment seriously.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Statements without emoji make a useful litmus test to see which people are predisposed to interpret what they read in a positive way or a negative way by default. Consider that books don't contain emoji (at least not yet, god help us), and usually don't contain narrative descriptions of the characters' tones of voice on a line-by-line basis either, so expecting readers to infer tone based on choice of wording isn't unreasonable. Does it strike you as humorously absurd for me to suggest that any amount of light would struggle to shine through a water-clear lense? Then it was probably intended as such.

Besides, sometimes I forget to include emoticons. ;)

I do use the lowest setting on my HDS Rotary on a regular (though not frequent) basis, but since I have the brighter XP-L emitter, it almost certainly produces more than 0.02 lumens on the lowest setting. It's dim enough that I can look directly at the emitter in a mostly-dark room, but my Jetbeam TC-R1 goes lower -- low enough to be truly useless in my estimation.

I agree that a shockingly small amount of light is quite useful to see in pitch-blackness with fully night-adapted vision. However, the only way I can achieve that is to stand in one of my windowless bathrooms with door closed and the lights turned off. That is not the sort of situation where I actually need a flashlight, since obviously it's manufactured specifically to be as dark as possible for no useful purpose. If I lived in the middle of nowhere where there wasn't any artificial ambient light at night, 0.02 lumens might be more useful, but I would also need to see further away because the distances would be longer, and that would require a brighter light that would destroy my night vision anyway. Basically, unless I were stationed in a forward operating base in a combat zone and I needed to read a map in the middle of the night without being shot and killed, I struggle to imagine a plausible-for-me scenario where I could make productive use of 0.02 lumens.

This is far more explanation than I think my original comment deserved, but I enjoy explaining myself, so there you go.

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
Some people aren't native speakers, don't forget these ;) Unless you don't care cause if they don't understand, they have nothing to do here :D :D

The lowest levels are calibrated too (supposedly), I think something like the 5 highest and 5 lowest levels.
All what I know is I use the lowest low all the time at night, it's my default turn on level. 0,07 or 0,08lm on older lights is too much and bothers me...Once again I think I have a good night vision, we are not all the same...I struggle under the sun !

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
since I have the brighter XP-L emitter, it almost certainly produces more than 0.02 lumens on the lowest setting..

another joke? :poke:
your 325 rotary has the same .02 minimum as other models

36974496-1425020867637323-549505146711703552-o.png

fyrstormer

Banned
Some people aren't native speakers, don't forget these ;) Unless you don't care cause if they don't understand, they have nothing to do here :D :D

The lowest levels are calibrated too (supposedly), I think something like the 5 highest and 5 lowest levels.
All what I know is I use the lowest low all the time at night, it's my default turn on level. 0,07 or 0,08lm on older lights is too much and bothers me...Once again I think I have a good night vision, we are not all the same...I struggle under the sun !
True. I forget that non-native speakers won't interpret tone the way I expect. Then again, I forget that native speakers won't interpret tone the way I expect, too. :candle:

Sudden bright light is extremely painful for me; even after 5 minutes of continuous exposure I sometimes struggle to open my eyes without pain. However, sunlight in normal conditions doesn't bother me, as long as the sun isn't shining directly in my face. My eyes have a wide range of sensitivity; some people have told me that's because I have very dark irises, so they block excess light more effectively. I have no scientific proof of this, however.

another joke? :poke:
your 325 rotary has the same .02 minimum as other models
Nope, in that case I just didn't know what I was talking about. I stand corrected. In any event it's not a very useful setting for me, because it's rare that 0.02lm is significantly brighter than the ambient light wherever I happen to be. I know it's bright enough for me to see close-up in pitch-blackness, but that almost never happens.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
0.33 lumens when I first heard of it sounded like a joke but when your eyes are adapted to the dark you can very easily see to walk with it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's bright enough for me to see close-up in pitch-blackness, but that almost never happens.

always good to share info and expand my horizons
I consider myself fortunate to experience pitch black more often, and now I realize your environment is different

fwiw I also use my flashlight at any excuse, even if I could make it to the bathroom by feel, or on ambient light.
and when I get there, I like to tailstand my firefly mode.. just for fun. I actually look forward to waking up to pee, so I can test the low modes on my lights :)

0.33 lumens when I first heard of it sounded like a joke but when your eyes are adapted to the dark you can very easily see to walk with it.

agree completely that .33 lumens is plenty to walk with in full darkness

Im very impressed with how low I can spin the rotary dial, and still navigate in the dark with that little hotspot.

fyrstormer

Banned
always good to share info and expand my horizons
I consider myself fortunate to experience pitch black more often, and now I realize your environment is different

fwiw I also use my flashlight at any excuse, even if I could make it to the bathroom by feel, or on ambient light.
and when I get there, I like to tailstand my firefly mode.. just for fun. I actually look forward to waking up to pee, so I can test the low modes on my lights :)
I do the same, because my bathrooms have no windows and also no electrical outlets so there is nowhere to plug-in a nightlight. Turning on the main lights would be excruciating, because I sleep with an eye-mask and my eyes are fully dark-adapted when I wake up in the middle of the night. (on the increasingly-rare occasion that I actually get to sleep during the night, anyway.) Also, I sit down to pee in the middle of the night because it's irritating enough to be awake at all, much less having to support my own weight and aim correctly. :p

I also bring a flashlight into the shower nowadays, partly because it's a convenient time to clean it, and partly because being covered in slippery soap in a windowless bathroom when the power goes out is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: