First forum knife Final

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
The WIP photos are great! Thanks Carol and Chris and not forgeting George the man!! :thumbsup:

Hey George looks like one of those Xbox game character in that mask (HALO)

Oh Carol could I get a right handed leather sheath for my order. Does it all have the floral imprint?

Hi GhostReaxtion, I will put you on the list for a leather sheath, Yes all the sheaths George makes comes with the Oak Leaf pattern on front and a stamped MapleLeaf on the back flap. You can request plain if preferred.

We're happy that everyone has taken a keen interest in the photos. There will be a few more to come as things move along :popcorn:

CHeers, Carol

Empyfree

Enlightened
Cheers for your Email Carol, sorry I missed your call earlier.

As I stated in my return email i'd like to add a right handed leather sheath to the order.

Looking at the list of numbers, none of them mean much to me so I'll go for 39, the highest number currently availiable!

I don't mind emailing you my credit card details if you want, avoids transatlantic phone calls!
phone.gif

Empyfree

Enlightened
schiesz, I've just spoken to Carol and confirmed that I'd like to have number 39. Would you mind moving me along the list! Thanks for this. :thumbsup:

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Just sent schiesz 12 more photos to put up for me :) This week there will be a few more going up.

Now - please understand just because you are seeing a full display of photos that does not mean that ALL the knives have been thru the various processes. :D

What I am trying to do is follow one knife thru to give you an idea of how thing work and we will be working on them as we go. So before these little fellows got to heat treating they still have to be top profiled, polished, holes buffed and reemed, thumb ramps grooved, numbers stamped. :)

As you can tell a ways to go but the project is moving along very quickly and well. JUST 6 MORE KNIVES TO SELL :poke:

Anyone wanting a leather sheath, it's time to speak up soon. THere will be a deadline. :wave:

Enjoy the photos, if anyone out there thinks knifemaking is easy I hope you are re thinking. Notice in the photos how George's poor hands are always bandaged and quite often swollen.

Cheers, Carol :)

Mdinana

Enlightened
Only 6 knives left !!!

#28, #29 #31, #34, #35, #37

Don't miss out - order today !!

Cheers, Carol
Hi! Long time reader, but this offer finally got me to officially register. I'll take number 29 please!

I can send you contact info via PM.
Thanks!

Empyfree

Enlightened
Great pics!
camera.gif

The first batch of these "work in progress" photos is what made me finally sign up for a knife, never really appreciated how much work goes into them.

Cheers!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great pics!
camera.gif

The first batch of these "work in progress" photos is what made me finally sign up for a knife, never really appreciated how much work goes into them.

Cheers!

It's more than that....

I know a very talented Custom knifemaker who had to quit the business due to health concerns. He wasn't too well-known in the industry. But he made some sweet-looking Bowie knives. Very artistic, top-notch work. The ventilation system in his shop was less than ideal. Having a young son played a big role in his decision.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Great pics!
camera.gif

Cheers!

Most people don't..............It's a real eye opener when you see just how much work goes into them. It is not uncommon for the handles to be put on and taken off approx 6 times before they are actually pinned and glued in place.

In this instance we felt that the group may enjoy seeing the process as flashlights are more what your group is in to. :)

CHeers, Carol

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
It's more than that....

I know a very talented Custom knifemaker who had to quit the business due to health concerns. He wasn't too well-known in the industry. But he made some sweet-looking Bowie knives. Very artistic, top-notch work. The ventilation system in his shop was less than ideal. Having a young son played a big role in his decision.

Generally when people think of the hazards of knifemaking what comes to mind first is the fact that they are "sharp" pointed objects. Actually the real concerns are with air quality. A number of makers do not take proper precautions in breathing protection. There are products that should not be used at all because once the particulates get into the lungs you face serious health issues and nothing can be done to help. Exotic woods, and other handle material are irritants. George has become sensitized to Rosewood and there are a couple belts that he can't use because he breaks out in a nasty rash. Others overtime have gotten so that they can no longer work with woods at all. In the end, unless you are very careless and half asleep, working with the blade on it's own is less hazardous overall then the handle materials and some belts.

Carol

Last edited:

Telkin

Enlightened
Visited George and Carol today at their shop and let me just say that progress looks great. They pay so much attention to detail. A lot more work than people know go into making that knife. I can't wait to get my hands on the final copy!

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Visited George and Carol today at their shop and let me just say that progress looks great. They pay so much attention to detail. A lot more work than people know go into making that knife. I can't wait to get my hands on the final copy!

It was great to have you pop in for a visit today :) You looked so handsome in your dress clothes but I was having a fit that "Maggie" was going to jump all over you and you'd leave looking like a giant fur ball :ohgeez:

You will be one of the first to see them when they are completed. You're actually lucky you left when you did because I was starting to think that you'd do very well at the drill press sanding out the holes in the handles Maybe next time you stop in I think abit faster :crackup:

Cheers, Carol

Empyfree

Enlightened
I'd love to pop in as well.. unfortunately i'm 3449.40 mi away as the crow flies! I get a bit closer in May when I head to Maine, but it's still a step too far (I'm not allowed into Canada while I'm in the USA on a working VISA... :sigh:)