first successfull cnc engraving

gt40

Enlightened
I have been sidetracked from flashlights building a custom ar build. This was my first experience engraving with cnc and one of my first successful parts on my mill but it came out pretty good. Here is a video of it. I was unsure on the depth so I cut it several times and increased the depth by .001 in the video:

Machining the lower itself:

I know it isn't flashlight related but cutting text with accuracy is really cool.
Pics:
20130508_190409.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
That came out nicely :)

You'll eventually want a high speed spindle for the engraving, somewhere around 50K rpm. I just happen to have one for sale if you're interested ...

ER collet extensions are super handy to get an end mill into areas that the full size collet nose cannot go. Mine are all made in the USA by Craftsman Industries & sold by ENCO. Most were on sale when purchased.

df10ac35.jpg

Extension above is their ER16 "stubby" collet chuck with .750" straight shank. It's 3.75" OAL but over 1" of that goes up into the ER40 collet so the tool is extended about 2.5" lower. Their "regular" extension is 7.1" OAL so about 5.75" extension. http://www.craftsmanindustries.com/er.htm

gt40

Enlightened
That came out nicely :)

You'll eventually want a high speed spindle for the engraving, somewhere around 50K rpm. I just happen to have one for sale if you're interested ...

ER collet extensions are super handy to get an end mill into areas that the full size collet nose cannot go. Mine are all made in the USA by Craftsman Industries & sold by ENCO. Most were on sale when purchased.

df10ac35.jpg

Extension above is their ER16 "stubby" collet chuck with .750" straight shank. It's 3.75" OAL but over 1" of that goes up into the ER40 collet so the tool is extended about 2.5" lower. Their "regular" extension is 7.1" OAL so about 5.75" extension. http://www.craftsmanindustries.com/er.htm
You already got me on this one- have a stubby er20 extension for the lathe. Thanks again for the suggestion. I just ordered a second one to machine into a spring loaded engraving tool. Spring loading should allow for engraving on irregular surfaces. Here is a commercial one: http://www.2linc.com/spring_loaded_engraving_tool.htm

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Was that an 80% lower or did you machine the whole thing?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long did it take for you to completely machine that lower receiver? Same question for the upper receiver (assuming you also made one).

gt40

Enlightened
How long did it take for you to completely machine that lower receiver? Same question for the upper receiver (assuming you also made one).

I machined the control pocket, engraving and the safety, trigger and hammer holes + cerakoted everything. The lower was partially completed and the upper is jd enterprises. It took about 5 minutes to cut the pocket and about a minute to drill the holes. What took a bit more time was the setup- making sure everything was aligned correct in the vice relative to where I set zero and making the cam files in mesh cam. That took about an hour.

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
Does that engraving read "caliber", or "calibar"?
The "e" kinda does look like an "a" from that pic. It is a e. When I cut it extra deep, I started to cut away some of the detail in the closed part of the e. Head on, you can clearly still see it as an e. This has been mostly a learning experience for me on setup, setting zero precisely on parts in multiple dimensions and learning how to engrave. The fact that it works and gave me 1/2"-1" moa groups on sunday is a bonus...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have to wonder...

You buy a 80% lower receiver to avoid the need to go through an arms dealer. It's not a firearm because it needs 'special skill and equipment' to make it into a usable firearm.

If one gets the lower and the appropriate cam files, will it still be considered 80% finished? :)

Daniel

gt40

Enlightened
I love to make stuff and finishing a lower was a great learning exercise for me. I learned to indicate a part through multiple setups and have an ability to machine in multiple dimensions. This was the biggest set of skills I learned and, as the title of the thread says, learning how to do cnc engraving. I took a cad file reference design, used it to create a cam file from scratch using mesh cam and figured how to align it. It would have been much easier to just to go to a dealer and buy the part. That wouldn't have been the point though. Shades of buying a lathe and spending thousands of dollars on machine tools to make a light :p

Last edited:

bcannon87

Newly Enlightened
I have to wonder...

You buy a 80% lower receiver to avoid the need to go through an arms dealer. It's not a firearm because it needs 'special skill and equipment' to make it into a usable firearm.

If one gets the lower and the appropriate cam files, will it still be considered 80% finished? :)

Daniel

You are allowed to manufacture 1 weapon for personal use per year. ATF doesn't really consider it anything.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid."--John Wayne

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... You buy a 80% lower receiver to avoid the need to go through an arms dealer.
Most of the ones I see are purchased by people who don't want to pay full price. At some point they realize that finishing out the lower is only a bit more challenging than the YouTube video that took nine minutes & ended with a fully machined part :nana:

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
It was a lot of work but now I get to use what I learned to make a lantern entirely in cad/cam.

Last edited:

Latest posts