Flashlights for photography

hagar154

Newly Enlightened
It is really nice to join a board and see the very question you wanted to ask answered. In a bit of a twist on the macro photography question - what would people recommend as a light for underwater macro photography that I could also use on land for the same purpose?

Greatguns

Newly Enlightened
If this isn't an original idea, please forgive me, but I've not seen this mentioned in numerous photo magazines, nor here. With my old film cameras, I long ago practiced until I could completely operate them in the dark. I've found that much more difficult with my digital Nikon SLRs. I got the idea of fastening a little button cell flashlight--like the ones made by Photon and others--to the adjustment buckle on the camera's strap. So far, I haven't noticed it being there, yet it is right where I need it if I'm shooting in dark place.

crazyson

Newly Enlightened
as a hobbyist photographer myself, I've been experimenting with my flash quite abit too. Because flash units are so expensive, I tried incorporating with flashlights in and I find that flashlights have color temperatures that are too cool. I tried using color gels too but it was too much work to try and determine the right gel to use (i generally find that I have to use CTO 1). Also, the output of the flashlight is fixed i.e. to say they have fixed modes (hi-med-low). Unless your flashlight has a rotary ring that can allow you to precisely set the amount of light output, you have to use distance or camera settings to compensate for the flashlight.

That said, I was in taiwan a couple weeks back and i came across this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.TR0.TRC0.XYN-300II+&_nkw=YN-300II+&_sacat=0

Basically it is a constant output LED light that allows you to control precisely the light output as well as the color temperature of the light. It has the standard flash mount so you can mount it on top of the camera or on top of a tripod. Comes with an IR remote so that you can adjust the light without leaving the camera (assuming you're doing a 2 light setup) Best thing about it is the price! I know it is made in china, but in my opinion it is quite sturdy and well built. Worth a consider.

just my 2 c

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone. Just sharing my experience being a hobbyist photographer too. Took this photo using what I had with me at the time, namely my FrazLite and my quirky Streamlight Pro Reach.

Found that both were pretty useful - with the Frazlite being a QTC based neutral white light, it was easy to dial-in the desired brightness. Used it for background lighting. The Streamlight Pro Reach with its articulated neck proved useful in providing the hotspot. Fuss-free for both lights. Just placed them in position and they stayed where they were needed without any extra hands or tripods.

I suppose if I were going for shots where colour rendition was important, I'd probably go for a high CRI option.

Just my 2cents. :D

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The only time I used a flashlight in photography was In January of this year, a night arrival of Air Force One. The WHCA had the plane lit to broadcast quality standards, however the plane had a harsh back light from the Tarmac lighting.

So, I gaffer taped my Suerfire M6LT to my Nikon 400 2.8 and focused it at the door as they put the ramp up to the aircraft. It was really great extra fill to make up for the backlighting conditions. Got great shots of POTUS as he came out and down to the motorcade. Glad I had with me. The rest of the pool had washed out looking shots. But after 8 years we all have a million shots of the same arrival deal, however I did get the shot.

That light worked so well as it is focused as a thrower with a fresnel style lens on it.

Tech data: I was on the press riser lined right up with the door standard 150' throw, which is perfect for the 747 since you can get wide angle shots as well.

This is also marked my 24th year of covering three administrations.

Best,

RL

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Long live the incan!!!
In the little over a year I've been here I've hoping to find out what you sir would use.

When the clock is ticking on the shot and correct lighting is a must... first try... my thought was you would be one who knows the real deal.

Prime lens... intriguing.