Heresy -- Flashlights are useless

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
冬芽 fuyume ( 女 she/her)
This appears in every post you make, and yet appears to make no sense. Just curious how this came to be. 冬芽 has nothing to do with 女 = onna, and she/her would normally be 彼女 or あの人。

TJusr7QovHMxBCTUbSG9tsNzc8Q0cK1XHP6J8wgj0&usqp=CAU.jpg

TPA

Enlightened
Back when I was a kid we would dip each match head into molten candle wax, then rub the candle on the side of the matchbox, and used hair dryer to melt it so it coats the strikers fully and evenly, matches and the box became waterproof.
When I was a kid, we'd swipe people's cigarette packs, roll the flint of a Bic lighter over a piece of paper, wet the outside of the cigarette, then roll it in the flint, then slide it back in the pack and put it back where we found it. When they'd light up their ciggy, they'd have a sparkler.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if they was usless id still adore them there fun so a couurse they cant be usless

Wildernesstech2

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, The world took me away from the internet for a bit.

Low voltage Corncob bulb.

Found it in an Amish store.

Yes, that is a dimmer switch!

I enjoy the hell out of it here on the farm.

Reactions: TPA

bridgman

Enlightened
Okay, maybe they're not completely useless... but in the majority of uses, I'm finding lanterns and flashlights with diffusers to be far more useful and practical than flashlights. Of course, YMMV.

The only thing I find myself using a flashlight regularly for is inspecting aircraft or looking for dropped screws
Agree completely, with the caveat that "inspecting <something> or looking for dropped <thing>" is a fair percentage of why I need light in the first place.

My most commonly used lights are a 3AA Streamlight Dualie (two LEDs, one spot and one wide area, plus good clip and magnets) and a Surefire G2X Pro (low/high, used for the aforementioned inspecting & looking for dropped *).

It would be nice if the Dualie had some kind of fold-out wire bail to make it stand more reliably on a non-magnetic surface.