Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

pmcdougal

Newly Enlightened
Just watched End of Watch... does anyone know what flashlight Jake Gyllenhaal is using. The tailcap is painted orange?

Thanks

Stream

Enlightened
I dont get into too many tv series any more and dont watch too many movies either, but when I do watch Law and Order or CSI or whatever, what I notice 99% of the time, is that the flashlights used in these shows are incredibly dim, have ridiculously narrow beams, and dont seem to light up much of anything! I guess they have to use weak lights to make the scenes darker and more dramatic. In other words, you dont see anyone lighting up the whole basement with an SC600 on turbo!

Keep in mind that even in dark scenes they have a ton of set lighting to get usable exposure. This is primarily why they use high output lights to begin with; regular flashlights would be drowned out by the set lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Series - "NCIS"

Episode - "Playing With Fire."

Part 2 of a 2 part episode that, ironically, has two different titles. ("Rekindled" = Part 1.) At the start of "Playing With Fire," an arsonist on board a Navy ship takes advantage of faulty wiring that was placed in numerous Navy vessels by a corporation that used to have a contract with the Navy. The arsonist has a black 2AA Mini-Mag in his mouth for illumination, as he sets up the faulty wiring to cause a major blaze inside the ship. Although he succeeds, he's too slow to escape out of the hold before the fire goes off and consumes him.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
While flashlights inevitably appear in episodes across various TV shows, have there been any with very long money shots on the lights? Or with a character making particular note about the flashlight with nice detailed close ups?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Generally if you get a good long pause on a light with a nice close-up, it tends to be done for a reason that has nothing to do with the light itself. Primarily for dramatic effect. Such as the hero seeing something terrible or saddening as the light falls on something he has discovered. (That sort of thing.)

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
A hot flashlight ;)
y6y2uhyj.jpg

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally if you get a good long pause on a light with a nice close-up, it tends to be done for a reason that has nothing to do with the light itself. Primarily for dramatic effect. Such as the hero seeing something terrible or saddening as the light falls on something he has discovered. (That sort of thing.)
Oh yeah, no doubt... just having the flashlight in the scene is enough advertising. What I'm curious about is scenes where the light gets a lot of attention, whether it's for a different reason or if there's something about the light that makes sense for the scene to have a close-up (e.g. user has to do a battery change, or light gets damaged and user is struggling to make it work again).

Swede74

Enlightened
Farley Granger in "Strangers on a train".

Hitchcook was kind enough to provide us with a beamshot :)

lightc.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looks like a blinged out 2C M@glite.

I love his musical talent. But the man has absolutely abysmal taste. (And I don't mean just the flashlight. You guys should see the vomit-inducing giant creations he wears as watches.)

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
So, what was the context of this scene with Cee Lo showing his fancy Mag?

He guest appeared on the set of Charlie Sheen's new show "Anger Management". Sheen being Cee Lo's permanent therapist became overwhelmed and was hiding, Cee Lo came looking for Charlie with a flashlight.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
I love his musical talent. But the man has absolutely abysmal taste. (And I don't mean just the flashlight. You guys should see the vomit-inducing giant creations he wears as watches.)

He did as well in this episode, and was not much of an actor either but made sure to flash the flash.... :: pun intended::

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few handheld shots from The Thing (1982). What is striking is the brightness of their incandescents, and the good
color rendition from using them. Classic Mag's?

v324d4.jpg

24ypb20.jpg

339j292.jpg

dls1nc.jpg

amfbs.jpg

1564yz8.jpg

fyfhpj.jpg

Some great lighting in the movie.

c6e6p.jpg

What kind of lanterns are these? They appear pretty bright.

9vcxsg.jpg

Blu-ray edition. Superb definition for an old flick. Virtually no film grain.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they might be Mags. The second and eighth pics are of Kurt Russell holding a lit highway flare.

I have see this classic many times and it still holds up to this day, but I never could understand why they didn't put their flashlights to more use. They used a lot of flares and they walked around in the alien filled darkness with nothing to light the place up at all, yet they had some decent flashlights and lanterns that were apparently left in their cabins.

Guess it wouldn't be nearly as scary if it was well lit. :shrug:

Xacto

Enlightened
Saw 2 lights in the movie Skyfall. Did not get a good look at either.

The 1st one was when the old servant was helping an injured M leave Bond's ancestral home. From the large reflector and tight beam I would guess a simple 6V lantern or similar.

Trailing the baddie after them, James got into a fight with baddie's last living employee. Both fell through the ice. After killing the guy Bond had trouble finding the hole in the ice to get out. He grabbed the torch of the dead guy. Cylindrical flashlight, turbohead, twistie. Bond twisted it twice to get it to a bright mode. Do not recognize it.

The first one was IIRC a Surefire M3 or M6, just look a few pages in the past in this thread, the guy loaning them to the production posted the exact info.

The second "light" wasn't a flighlight, it was a flare. ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first one was IIRC a Surefire M3 or M6, just look a few pages in the past in this thread, the guy loaning them to the production posted the exact info.

The second "light" wasn't a flighlight, it was a flare. ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten
Thanks.
LEDninja