Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
9jJ0YbJ.jpg

Just saw this in a clip from the upcoming movie in the "Alien" series. I think it looks like the LEDLENSER X21R.2 from checking out the LEDLENSER lights. I kind of wish they had gone for the most exotic looking lights still like in the last Alien movie. I loved when they used the unique looking TK45 in "Prometheus." This is a powerful light, but it is very "flashlight" looking.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I see it now--- the light does have a unique light asterisk shape ---> * <--- pattern that can be seen in lower mode that makes it look pretty sci-fi. I bet that is one of the reasons they went with it. It's sort of the replacement of the cool TK45 shape.

Sweet light, but that MSRP price.... Ouch.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I won't be able to beat Jayrob's big screen debut but I did recently sell a NIB Maglite 5D that's going to be used in AMC's Halt and Catch Fire. It is supposed to be in Season 4 Episode 4 which is going to be on later this summer. The show is set in the early 90s and the light is a 1990 model so it works out perfect. I'll post up some screen shots from when it airs!

jayrob

Enlightened
Hey guys, I won't be able to beat Jayrob's big screen debut but I did recently sell a NIB Maglite 5D that's going to be used in AMC's Halt and Catch Fire. It is supposed to be in Season 4 Episode 4 which is going to be on later this summer. The show is set in the early 90s and the light is a 1990 model so it works out perfect. I'll post up some screen shots from when it airs!

That's cool!

It's really adds to the show or movie when your watching it knowing that you had supplied the prop lights... :cool:

The prop master working on the Netflix 'Series of Unfortunate Events season 2' just contacted me and bought 3 of my Everyready mods. They are filming now. (won't see the light until season 2 starts probably early 2018)

Coincidentally those are the same lights that the prop master for 'Night at the Museum 3' got and it was used in the early scene where the kid falls into a tomb in the 30's. That movie also had my Mag mod too. :) (in 3D size)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's awesome! I had kind of the same deal, a prop master contacted me for an ad I had up and was looking for early 90s lights. Do you know what ever happen to your lights after the movie? I was thinking about trying to buy it back. I know it wouldn't be worth much but I'd love to have it as a piece in my collection.

jayrob

Enlightened
Wow, that's awesome! I had kind of the same deal, a prop master contacted me for an ad I had up and was looking for early 90s lights. Do you know what ever happen to your lights after the movie? I was thinking about trying to buy it back. I know it wouldn't be worth much but I'd love to have it as a piece in my collection.

Night at the Museum no, haven't heard back but I'm just guessing they keep stuff like that because this latest one told me that they would be keeping them for when ever they need something like that...

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in one of the parts but the movie journey to the center of the earth has surefire c3's and I think c2's and an m6. Tuned in during a scene where they were using them and recognized them immediately. Then stayed for the rest. They used surefires's, how could I not.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In one of Liam Niesan's flicks the police in Italy were searching the trunk of a car with 6P's.

Also noticed Eveready Captains in those Dirty Harry movies.

You guys mention props, while watching Band of Brothers for the umpteenth time I studied the right angle numbers they were using and noticed they were pretty darn close to correct except they were black, not olive green.

At the outset of the movie a flashlight was used but not shown. A correct one would've been the metal version of a TL-122. At the end of the war, which in the movie is where they showed the soldiers lights there were plastic versions available. Whoever supplied the lights did a pretty good job of getting them correct. Black plastic lights were available but the largest group to receive them were the Brits. US soldiers received mainly green.
I could not tell if the troops had TL-122B or C because they were very similar.

I wonder if the props folks had found a cache of the genuine articles from a surplus store somewhere. I have run across several versions of WW2 issue Navy map readers nib so it would not be a surprise that when Band of Brothers was made the genuine item was used. I just wonder if they were Fulton, GT Price, US Lite or some other manufacturer.

Last edited:

UrbanExplorer

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what light bar is used here in alien covenant??? Looks like a ridged industries Infrared Light bar at first judging by the real dark tint but the details don't match up neither does the illumination.

alien-covenant-photo-xenomorphe-980090.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

convolutionx

Newly Enlightened
Wow I had no idea some of the prop flashlights used in movies and shows can actually be real life products that you can buy.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I had no idea some of the prop flashlights used in movies and shows can actually be real life products that you can buy.

While the physical hosts are often real products or altered versions, the actual lighting is often modified or in some cases complete movie magic.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
While the physical hosts are often real products or altered versions, the actual lighting is often modified or in some cases complete movie magic.

That was true during the Golden Era of Hollywood. But now that lights have caught up to the lighting needs of creating the proper amount of light to film scenes, we are seeing actual lights being used as stock pieces on the set. Sometimes with zero cosmetic modification (ex: Stock SureFire M4s on the set of "Supernatural") or with minor mods because the film company has no desire to give the flashlight company free advertising (ex: A SureFire M6 with a yellow barrel covering to look like a cheap construction company worklight).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In the Spider's Web (2007)

An official in India, in uniform, and a group of young friends soon find themselves trapped in giant caverns.... absolutely crawling with poisonous spiders. And then things actually get worse. The official is using a very traditional U.S. military angle-head light that is pumping out far too many lumens to not be a modified light.

ncgrass

Enlightened
For all the Spiderman fans, it looks like a streamlined stylus was used while working on the suit. Holding it in his mouth too, not sure that's a good idea though!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently X21 variants got sci fi looks to movie makers. Here is it in The Martians.

26063155864_bbcf61573c_b.jpg

26668770315_a8abe85c0e_b.jpg

26668777765_906b363fc8_z.jpg

Looks like the light Jerry Ladimer used when he went into the garage to plant a bomb in the mayor's car in Kid Glove Killer starring Van Heflin. Of course that movie was from 1942, so probably not

cp2315

Enlightened
Total recall 2012 Not sure what this is.
35977502372_50035127c5_b.jpg

Resident Evil 2017

Not sure
35977505162_135982a9bf_b.jpg

Nitecore TM26
35977503062_34f8e5e238_b.jpg

House on Haunted hill 1999 Seems like Surefire 12PM nightfighter
35977502882_886d11bdbb_o.jpg

Latest posts