Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a post a year about the 2022 film THE BATMAN. Excellent flashlight movie because almost every scene features the use of flashlights. (the whole thing is very dark.) Just curious if anyone can help me identify Batman's primary light? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/the-batman-2022-flashlights.479770/
This warranted its own thread.

I'm trying to identify Leon's flashlight in the Resident Evil 4 remake as well. Perhaps it is also the Maglite ML150L???
Can you get a screen shot and post?

--------------------------------------

I'm watching this old movie to see more William H. Macy, Homicide (1991). It's not his best work, but he's hilarious nevertheless. Anyway, spied some hardware that should be pretty easy to call, and if it isn't Maglites, I'd be willing to bet bykfixer, among others, can identify as a competitor back in the day.

9NCTdc6_d.webp

3s068pK_d.webp

4Y8Yhii_d.webp

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the iconic Magcharger to me. We'll see what Byk, the expert has to say.

I think it's definitive. Not easy to find an image of the original (thanks opticsplanet and maglitehistory.com), though the LED version appears virtually identical. If that is the MagCharger, the other one probably has to be a Minimag.

IGm5FlC_d.webp

H170xJQ_d.webp

yfK3xD5_d.webp

(bottom two are 1980 prototype)

MAGALITE

Newly Enlightened
This warranted its own thread.

Can you get a screen shot and post?

--------------------------------------

I'm watching this old movie to see more William H. Macy, Homicide (1991). It's not his best work, but he's hilarious nevertheless. Anyway, spied some hardware that should be pretty easy to call, and if it isn't Maglites, I'd be willing to bet bykfixer, among others, can identify as a competitor back in the day.

9NCTdc6_d.webp

3s068pK_d.webp

4Y8Yhii_d.webp
Here is the best picture I can find of leon's flashlight in the new resident Evil 4 remake. It looks to me like its modelled after a Maglite ML150 maybe?
LEON MAGLITE.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Looks like the iconic Magcharger to me. We'll see what Byk, the expert has to say.
Which post do you speak of?

Watching the show "Castle" they often enter dark buildings and use what appear to be SureFire lights. I've seen G3's and as the seasons progress the lights appear to be 6 series but cannot tell if they are straight up P models or other varients.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was watching an episode of Dirty Jobs today where they were in the Sonoran desert, hunting scorpions at night. I saw two types of UV lights in use - a large rectangular unit with two rows of high power UV LEDs in them, and a handheld shower-head light. I couldn't make out a model on either of them, but I suspect that the shower-head light was 395nm and the other one was of undeterminable wavelength from the video.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Streamlight (you can see the boxy SL-20X and newer switch housing in some of the frames,) I believe the current SL-20L. The head knurling is broad and shiny compared to other SL models and isn't easily visible depending on the lighting.

STR20700_01_streamlight[1].jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was disappointed to see a UK Police Officer sporting an Atomic Zoomie (or similar) in 999-Whats-Your-Emergency 🤪
AFAIK, at least until recently, most did not even carry a gun - so there's that.

EDIT: I realize that's not an apples-to-apples comparison - just sayin'. Just indicative of their not exactly being among the best-prepared.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, at least until recently, most did not even carry a gun - so there's that.

EDIT: I realize that's not an apples-to-apples comparison - just sayin'. Just indicative of their not exactly being among the best-prepared.

Indeed "general duties" Police in the UK and New Zealand do not carry firearms, unlike Australian Police who are similarly equipped to American/Canadian Police.

I have noted others using a Surefire 6P and what appeared to be a Fenix angle head, clearly there are torch/flashlight connoisseurs amongst the ranks 👍

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Back in the mid to late 1990s, British officers who responded to emergency 999 calls won a huge victory.... The right to decide for themselves if they could return fire in order to prevent their own deaths.

Before the victory, all guns (including issued S&W model 10 revolvers) were stowed in the back of the patrol cars in different electronically controlled lock-boxes. Arriving on scene, if fired upon, the officers first had to radio a supervisor to get permission in order to access even the box that held their sidearms. If approved, an electronic signal was sent that caused the box to open. Yes, they had to get permission to defend their own lives! Apparently their union had enough of that nonsense. Sued, and won the right to carry their model 10s. But the rest of the weapons remained in the lock-boxes, still requiring permission to access.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Have been picking at the Bosch series (with Titus Welliver starring). Of course, ol' Harry always has a decent flashlight with him.

Apparently, he's a big fan ...

"Back then they gave you a flashlight and a forty-five, dropped you in a hole. Now it's heat sensors, infrared... it's a different game."

- Harry Bosch (as played by Titus Welliver), in the Bosch television series