Folks that don't EDC flashlights.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
What do you mean? Everyone carries a flashlight these days… in their phones!

Check out the last couple of shows I attended this month:

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

Of course I had my HDS on me…

IMG_1601.jpeg

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
How do I put this, I grew up without a cellphone and relied on payphones. So the novelty of using a cellphone as a flashlight is lost on me. So, I would say people not having a flashlight on them is quite common these days.

I know for a fact that uniformed officers in New York are required to carry duty flashlights while on-duty. There's even a list of requirements. Ever wonder why so many NYPD officers used to carry black Maglite 2C incandescent flashlights? It was the cheapest model that met all of the NYPD's requirements for a Duty Light. Officers are technically issued their lights, but in reality have to pay for gear out of their own pockets.

Just amazing that some of them were walking around without required gear, such as their flashlights. But not surprising.
My cousin's son graduated from his state's police academy six or seven years ago. All of the municipalities he interviewed with during training required the officer obtain and carry a duty light, paid for by the officer. My graduation gift to him was a Fenix TK09, which is a 6P-sized light designed for law enforcement use (24,000 candela, 900 lumens, three modes [H-M-L] starting always on high). Everybody else in his training class of 27 men was using a Maglite 2D or 3D, most with incan bulbs, a few with upgraded drop-in LED emitters that pumped out 120-130 lumens. He told me that during his first night operations training session, the training officer was explaining the coordinated use of a light and duty weapon. When my guy's turn came, he clicked on his TK09, whereupon the training officer was heard to exclaim "Holy s**t! That thing's BRIGHT!!! (The instructor later asked where he could get one, too. Apparently his old Streamlight was on its last legs.)

Later, during his first year of service, he told me of a time when he pursued a theft suspect into a junkyard. The suspect was hiding behind a junked car. The TK09 lit up the junkyard, and without much in the way of shadow to hide in, the suspect surrendered without a fight.

In that line of work, good quality, reliable gear is worth paying for.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A few years ago, I was in a Walmart, when they lost power. There was a 30 second delay before their emergency lights came on. By the time I reached for my keychain for my EDC, half of the people in the store, already had their cell phones out with their camera light ON.

That ended up being a big fail for me. Earlier in the day my daughter and I swapped cars, so that she had my EDC. I learned to locate and move my flashlight app on my phone to the front page, and how to activate it.

It actually has come in handy. I now use it more often than my keychain light.

1692183194120.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gotta start rocking the man purse so you can edc whatever size light your heart desires.
Waxed canvas shoulder bag and you are good to go edc crazy!
Welcome to CPF!

I remember back in the day, someone created a horizontal, leather, belt sheath for the SureFire M6. Even saw a photo of it on the belt, with the dude standing. No need for a Man-purse. Just need to have some mad leather working skills, and a thick as hell gun-belt to hold up your pants!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What do you mean? Everyone carries a flashlight these days… in their phones!

Check out the last couple of shows I attended this month:

View attachment 47633
Next concert I go to, I'm bringing my Imalent MS12 Mini.

"All you killers, turn your lights on. Turn your lights on."

Heck yeah!!!

I'm going to make everyone's phone-lights look impotent, with my Imalent. Especially the ones being held by the women. 😁😈

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Like others here, if the need arose it might never occur to me to use my smartphone's flashlight capability because I'd go for the SF Titan Plus on my keychain. On the other side of the generation gap, I've twice had electricians come in to do work down in the dark basement and a smart phone light is all they brought. And were those adequate? Not hardly.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny stumbling onto this post today of all days. It's a shocking SHOCKING day for the Sween1911 organization.
...my Surefire L1 was left at home in my other pants.

I'm sitting here at work (biz casual) in a button down shirt and Navy blue Dockers.
My front left pocket (FLP Savings and Loan) that normally has a few bucks, Surefire L1, Chapstick, contact rewetting drops, Zebra F301 pen is EMPTY.

All I've got on me between me and the Lord is my SAK, Cold Steel SR1 Lite, wallet, and my keys, which thankfully have a Fenix E01 on them in case the zombies pick today to kick off the apocalypse.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny stumbling onto this post today of all days. It's a shocking SHOCKING day for the Sween1911 organization.
...my Surefire L1 was left at home in my other pants.

I'm sitting here at work (biz casual) in a button down shirt and Navy blue Dockers.
My front left pocket (FLP Savings and Loan) that normally has a few bucks, Surefire L1, Chapstick, contact rewetting drops, Zebra F301 pen is EMPTY.

All I've got on me between me and the Lord is my SAK, Cold Steel SR1 Lite, wallet, and my keys, which thankfully have a Fenix E01 on them in case the zombies pick today to kick off the apocalypse.

I've developed a "pat down" routine over the years to try and ensure I don't leave anything behind. Wallet, phone, keys, knife, light, etc etc. Do it in the same order every time.

And as far as flashlights for the average Joe, I bet the cell phone LED covers 99.9% of any situation requiring light that they might encounter.

But for working usage, no. Those people should have an actual flashlight and not be using their phones for pluming, shop work, car repair, crawlspace ductwork, etc etc etc.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I always carry a light because of how many times I went, "oh poop, I need a light" when staring under the hood of a car. Doesnt matter if the sun is out or not, there are always dark spots that you cannot see something.