FourSevens Maelstrom MMU-X3

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to compare this with X10. But I wonder about the brightness: 1600lm performed by a single 26650 battery, can it really be flat(or almost) output? The X10(initial 800lm) slightly drops down to around 600lm during two hours, if I recall correct.
Also I think there is still no single 18650 light which gives decent runtime at more than 700lm, so 1600lm is really much for a single 26650.

Last edited:

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys this light is awesome.. output, quality, size, design.. no pwm flickering etc. Now this is the one of the best flashlight for me. otherwise the anodizing looks better than older Foursevens flashlights. Malestrom MMU-X3 and Regen looks more nicer matte black, than earlier models. Looks higher quality.

some pics

with Olight S20-L2 and SR96

with Fenix LD41 (XM-L2 U2) and TK35 U2

with Jetbeam DDR30 and Fenix RC40

20210173_c8e39cc4bcaa45b7a5da0c782e1fe192_l.jpg

y260

Enlightened
I broke down and bought the MMU-X3. So far, I'm really enjoying everything about the light except the UI. Fit and finish are excellent and it's quite a diminutive little light for a triple XM-L2.

IMHO...the only downside of the MMU-X3 is the UI. My previous concerns about the UI were correct and it is too easy to inadvertently switch the light from high to low mode via momentary activation. It seems like as a Foursevens "tactical" series light it should always come on in High mode. You switch modes by activating the switch on/off within 1 sec, but my sample still switches modes up to 2 sec in duration and has mode memory. So, rapid use of momentary activation means the light will come in high mode one moment and low mode the next. Seems an odd choice of UI for a tactical light, but that's just my 2 cents...

Otherwise, it's a fantastic little Triple.

Thanks for that, exactly what I was thinking about the UI. Still a very nice looking light though.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics ernsanada.

How do you like the ouput, tint and UI?

Sorry so long with the reply. I had to order another 26650 battery. My old battery that I ordered with my Malestrom MMU-X didn't work with my Malestrom MMU-X3. It wouldn't go into high. The new battery works fine.

The Malestrom MMU-X has more throw than the MMU-X3. I think it's because it has the single larger reflector than the X3. The MMU-X3 has more flood. More of a "wall of light" effect.

My MMU-X3 has a very very slight green tint that can be seen more in low around the hot spot. Not so noticeable in high. My MMU-X also has a very very slight green tint to its beam same characteristics of the MMU-X3 beam tint in low and high.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
looking good!

but how's the stepdown? and regulation?

Sorry I've been very busy due to work and I have no time to check the step-down and regulation of the MMU-X3. Also it's the Christmas season. Sorry!

Patriot

Flashaholic
It would be interesting to compare this with X10. But I wonder about the brightness: 1600lm performed by a single 26650 battery, can it really be flat(or almost) output?

Each XM-L2 is only driven to 533lm. At that output, they're very efficient. With that said, I don't know now "flat" the output will be. The S12 wasn't very flat with it's approx 4-5A draw. It would be nice to see a run-chart for this light.

hikingman

Enlightened
Gentleman, any updates to the performance of this light? Thanks

This little beast, for its size and weight, is just awesome (as gopajti said) as is. I have not been out on a long hike with it, so I can't comment on run times, etc. But the short time I have had it out, it lit up all the country side I normally ever need to see and then some! It would be interesting indeed to see if it could be "juiced up" some more, but I love it just as it is.

I really don't care for the interface that much, but my S12 needed a companion:devil:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vinh modified MMU-X3 is awesome!!! more output and throw.
This little beast, for its size and weight, is just awesome (as gopajti said) as is. I have not been out on a long hike with it, so I can't comment on run times, etc. But the short time I have had it out, it lit up all the country side I normally ever need to see and then some! It would be interesting indeed to see if it could be "juiced up" some more, but I love it just as it is.

I really don't care for the interface that much, but my S12 needed a companion:devil:

eric lovingood

Newly Enlightened
I have a two week old MMU X3 that I'll sell for what I payed for it. Battery charger and yeah it's all that.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

eric lovingood

Newly Enlightened
Mine is for sale. I'll let it go for $120. It's great and I'm a no B.S guy. If you want it contact me and I'll send mail it same day. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Just an update on my experience. I haven't used it a great deal but, the battery has started to go flat and I would have liked the light to have powered down to the 200LM level instead of turning off completely, this is a little annoying.

Additional to this, the 47s charger I got to charge the battery does not work at all so I'm now stuck with a flat battery :( I've contacted 47s for advice but so far had no reply. Does anyone know of a decent quality charger for the 26650 battery?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update on my experience. I haven't used it a great deal but, the battery has started to go flat and I would have liked the light to have powered down to the 200LM level instead of turning off completely, this is a little annoying.

Additional to this, the 47s charger I got to charge the battery does not work at all so I'm now stuck with a flat battery :( I've contacted 47s for advice but so far had no reply. Does anyone know of a decent quality charger for the 26650 battery?

well that's the low voltage protection kicking in so you could use unprotected 26650 like the King Kongs

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh ok, I guess using unprotected cells has it's own problems though :(

i run uprotecteds on all my single-cell lights. very safe especially with lights with built-in low voltage cutoff like zebralights and this maelstrom (and x10, MMU-X)

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
i run uprotecteds on all my single-cell lights. very safe especially with lights with built-in low voltage cutoff like zebralights and this maelstrom (and x10, MMU-X)

Will using these cells make the light just drop the output then instead of it turning off completely? are there any other benefits to using none protected cells? Also, what charger do you use? because after looking into the 47s one a little more, it seems a lot of people have had problems with them, including melting!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a decent quality charger for the 26650 battery?

I just bought my first 26650, and I'm going to use my Nitecore i4 charger for it, as with every other battery I have (excepting my 10250 Nukes). Universal chargers are the way to go, in my opinion. I have two chargers, so I still have extra slots available even if it takes up 2 or 3 slots.

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first 26650, and I'm going to use my Nitecore i4 charger for it, as with every other battery I have (excepting my 10250 Nukes). Universal chargers are the way to go, in my opinion. I have two chargers, so I still have extra slots available even if it takes up 2 or 3 slots.

Thanks thedoc007, that charger looks far better! I'll order one asap. I also like the look of that 3500 Lumen tiny monster, now look what you've done!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will using these cells make the light just drop the output then instead of it turning off completely? are there any other benefits to using none protected cells? Also, what charger do you use? because after looking into the 47s one a little more, it seems a lot of people have had problems with them, including melting!

not gonna happen since the cutoff is built in the flashlight

i like unprotected because i know what i'm doing. if you're new to this i recommend protected. personally i use a hobby charger

nope. "universal" chargers actually suck e.g. Nitecore i4 sucks at charging eneloops and is too slow for charging 26650

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
not gonna happen since the cutoff is built in the flashlight

i like unprotected because i know what i'm doing. if you're new to this i recommend protected. personally i use a hobby charger

nope. "universal" chargers actually suck e.g. Nitecore i4 sucks at charging eneloops and is too slow for charging 26650

Ok thanks. I do actually have a hobby type charger that lets you set the mah, voltage etc but, I wanted something I could just plug the battery in and not mess with any settings, plus I don't have a holder for the 26650 for plugging it into that charger. I will investigate further! thanks for your help.