Foursevens Mini Mark II

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery comments FWIW...

Got a chance to do a runtime test on low

Thank you so much for this valuable information - very impressive.

Again, I have linked your post in -

[h=3]
icon3.gif
RUSH REVIEW - 4Sevens Mini Mk II (1020 lumens)[/h]
Thank you

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get back to some posts..

..is it literally a timed step-down, or temperature based?

I would guess timed, but I've done all my runs at consistent 67F ambient.

.. I'm sure your numbers are a lot more exact and meaningful here. That's great to know you got those results with a real and accurate light sphere..

I don't have a sphere, I'm using a DIY plumbing pipe special w/LX1330 lux meter - it's a standard light box the BLF guys are using. I'm comfortable with it based on how it matches ti-force's review of the QT2L-X BM (all modes), HDS (min/max), and a few other Quarks (most modes).

Thank you so much for the figures -
I'll link your post in -

The closest flashlight I have to compare - 4Sevens QP2L-X with its 780 lumens burst mode

You look like you're using a DSLR... you know you that you can actually use its light meter as a serviceable lumen meter? Not as good a lux meter, but far better than the eye can distinguish, and better than a pix comparison. 1/3stops get a bit wide for metering max output, but it has great accuracy at the lower/sub lumen range (actually all I really care about). Just need a beam diffuser, or bounced sample, and calibrate too/solve for shutter speed. Eg, calibrate your QP2L-X to 1/800 of sec, and you should see 1/1000 from the mini.

Note here guys: I can no longer get the 1000+ lumens readings as I did on the first day. I'm now more in the 850-950 range on >4V and 700-850 range <4V. Perhaps too many repeated ~50 sec Max output runs has weakened the light, or battery, somewhat. Still a killer pocket rocket.

On a personal preference note (I'm a low lumen/efficiency nut):
- disappointed the moonlight is so far off. I love the "bright" ~0.4 lm moonlights of my recent Quarks - it's my most often used mode/light. 1 lm spec would have been a good equivalent for this floody low lux beam, esp. with the giant step to 17 lms.
- not a fan of the mode spacing: 0.25 > 17 is too big gap, while 250 > 1000 is too close (you can see a 3-4x difference while mode switching, but it's hard to tell which mode it is from off/memory). I usually don't go for bright lights because they always seem to forfeit good low mode spacing. IMHO a tiny capacity light like this should take better advantage of battery-efficient mode spacing. An even 10x spacing of 1/10/100/1000 would really ring the bell for me, and would make a lot more sense for the CR123/non-combo version (currently 500/300 max to > 250 med??) Love the Quarks 0.3/3/30/300 ish spacing - but I guess I'm one of the few low lumen/runtime guys on CPF.
- The off-on timing to get reliable mode switching is too short. Still skipping modes too much, need to set everything up just so to get reliable switching. This would frustrate the non flashaholics.
- Clip seems strong and love the recess so it doesn't rotate. Floody beam is great for headlamp mode on a ball cap (although 0.25/17 mode spacing is bit too dim/blinding, respectively, for me). I'd reduce the knurling under the tip of the clip... to save pocket chew.
- high beacon/low beacon seem the same on my sample, full output.

Last edited:

speculate

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else been having issues contacting foursevens lately?
I ordered 2 flashlights on November 4th (mini mark 2 combo first wave, and quark smart light) but only received the quark smart light, in what i can only assume is a packing error.
I've tried contacting them through email and phone but they haven't responded to email nor their phone for the past few days now.
Was really excited to get the mini mark 2 but unsure what to do now.. Any tips on how I can reach them?

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Just took delivery of my new Mini Mark II from the "second wave". Nothing substantive to add on this thread from a "metrics" perspective but I can confirm that it is a wonderful EDC. My first 4Sevens light was the original Mini and I can say without a doubt that this light is a significant refinement from the first series. The clip is great (unlike the Olight clips that are hard as heck to get in and out of my pocket) and the fit and finish is top notch. A bit green on low :sigh: but otherwise excellent for a CW pocket light. Can't wait until it gets dark.

speculate

Newly Enlightened
Finally received my light after a month. Does anyone else's light run extremely hot to the touch when on max brightness after 15-30 seconds? As in, too hot to keep your hands on it. Im just wondering if this is normal or if I got a lemon.

mattodio

Newly Enlightened
Finally received my light after a month. Does anyone else's light run extremely hot to the touch when on max brightness after 15-30 seconds? As in, too hot to keep your hands on it. Im just wondering if this is normal or if I got a lemon.
Just tested, mine gets warm but never turns into a hot potato. Ambient temp is about 70°

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Nope. Just slightly warm. I *do* have lights that are literally too hot to touch after about 30 seconds. This one is just slightly warm. It steps down right around that point (~15-20 seconds) and seems to run around body temp.

speculate

Newly Enlightened
Hey, so I ordered a Mini MK 2 combo kit that came with a rechargeable CR123 battery (The red ones).
I've been using the light for about 5 days now. When I charge the battery and put it in the flashlight, it seems to last a lot less than the time stated. Also, it suddenly shuts off and the battery would no longer power the light until I charge it again. There is also no gradual dimming to indicate the lowering of the battery level; rather it shuts off instantly and I have to charge it again to use it at all. I can't even use it on the lowest level after it instantly 'shuts off'. I can see this being possibly dangerous in certain situations (such as camping, or in emergency situations). If I put different battery in the light it works, so Im pretty sure it's not the light itself. I think it is just the battery. Now after I use the flex charger with the battery, it flashes red and doesn't charge at all. Does this sound like a bad battery?

Blackbeard

Enlightened
what did you put in its place a primary non rechargable 123 or another 123a rechargable? just curious if you maybe fried something charging a non rechargable, also do you know if the one that comes with it is protected or not?

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Hey, so I ordered a Mini MK 2 combo kit that came with a rechargeable CR123 battery (The red ones).
I've been using the light for about 5 days now. When I charge the battery and put it in the flashlight, it seems to last a lot less than the time stated. Also, it suddenly shuts off and the battery would no longer power the light until I charge it again. There is also no gradual dimming to indicate the lowering of the battery level; rather it shuts off instantly and I have to charge it again to use it at all. I can't even use it on the lowest level after it instantly 'shuts off'. I can see this being possibly dangerous in certain situations (such as camping, or in emergency situations). If I put different battery in the light it works, so Im pretty sure it's not the light itself. I think it is just the battery. Now after I use the flex charger with the battery, it flashes red and doesn't charge at all. Does this sound like a bad battery?
Short version: You tripped the protection circuit on the battery. Longer Version: Most flashlights that can use both primary and rechargeable single cells will rely on the battery to protect itself from over-discharge. That way they can provide useful illumination with a primary cell down to ~2.0V while still supporting rechargeable cells. (There are exceptions that attempt to intuit the battery chemistry based on voltage).

A LiIon charger should reset the protection circuit on the battery. If the magnetic charger you got with the unit flashes red, try reversing the polarity. I bet in one orientation it will reset the circuit.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Short version: You tripped the protection circuit on the battery. Longer Version: Most flashlights that can use both primary and rechargeable single cells will rely on the battery to protect itself from over-discharge. That way they can provide useful illumination with a primary cell down to ~2.0V while still supporting rechargeable cells. (There are exceptions that attempt to intuit the battery chemistry based on voltage).

A LiIon charger should reset the protection circuit on the battery. If the magnetic charger you got with the unit flashes red, try reversing the polarity. I bet in one orientation it will reset the circuit.

Great post on the possible problems "under the hood." I'd wondered myself if reversing the battery would reset the protection circuit in a situation like this, as I experienced a similar problem in a light a while ago, unfortunately I don't recall what make and model it was. But it didn't occur to me at the time to reverse the battery. I figured I'd tripped the low voltage protection circuit, though, so I tried swapping in several newly charged batteries, where the light operated inormally, and then went back to the discharged one, and then back to the fully charged ones, and the problem finally cleared.

Last edited:

speculate

Newly Enlightened

Hey, thanks for the information! Reversing the polarity worked. It is now charging again. Now the remaining issue I have is that the protection circuit of the battery is tripped often it seems.. Is this normal for the battery? or should I be contacting foursevens about replacing it? Isn't a battery pretty useless if the protection circuit is tripping all the time, rendering the light powerless? Also, is there any chance it is the problem with the light itself that is causing this?

speculate

Newly Enlightened
what did you put in its place a primary non rechargable 123 or another 123a rechargable? just curious if you maybe fried something charging a non rechargable, also do you know if the one that comes with it is protected or not?

I put a non-rechargeable 123 in its place. Those ones have always worked normally so far.
I believe the rechargeable 123 that comes with the Mini MK2 combo kit is protected. It has a red band to differentiate it from the other blue banded non rechargeable foursevens 123s.

Hey, thanks for the information! Reversing the polarity worked. It is now charging again. Now the remaining issue I have is that the protection circuit of the battery is tripped often it seems.. Is this normal for the battery? or should I be contacting foursevens about replacing it? Isn't a battery pretty useless if the protection circuit is tripping all the time, rendering the light powerless? Also, is there any chance it is the problem with the light itself that is causing this?

If I was experiencing the same problem, I'd contact FourSevens toot-sweet. Please be careful with any non-properly functioning flashlight, and/or rechargeable battery. Again, if it was me, I'd set that battery aside until contacting FourSevens. Better safe than sorry. :poof:

~ Chance

Blackbeard

Enlightened
sounds like the battery has an issue, but you never know, you will get more output with rechargable, you might want to get the whole kit replaced to be on the safe side.