FourSevens "Self Defense" Light?

LongAway

Newly Enlightened
New here. I tried posting in the marketplace but it's on a different domain and I couldn't access it - (??)

Anyway, I recently got a Quark like and like it, but the beam is very wide. I wondered if they made an equivalent to the SureFire E2 LED with a very tight/blinding beam.

Thanks!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
New here. I tried posting in the marketplace but it's on a different domain and I couldn't access it - (??)

Anyway, I recently got a Quark like and like it, but the beam is very wide. I wondered if they made an equivalent to the SureFire E2 LED with a very tight/blinding beam.

Thanks!

You have to register for Marketplace as well just like how you would register for CPF. Applies also to all the other CPF forums.

You can try the Tactical Turbo 123x2. Quite the same as the normal 123x2 but with a turbo head instead. UI is the same. Impressive throw and flood. I don't own it but I did compare my Surefire LX2 to my friend's Quark turbo.

EDIT : At about 20 meters distance I don't see any difference in the beam profile on the hotspot between the LX2 and the Quark Turbo. But the Turbo does have a bit more flood on the peripheral areas outside the hotspot than LX2. At close range, it does have some shadow in the centre of the hotspot but that is expected for any lights with a smooth reflector. If you already own the 123x2 tactical, you could always get the turbo head individually under "Quark Accessories" in 4Sevens website.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the regular Quarks are quite blinding already. But the Turbos exist if you prefer a tighter beam.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, LongAway.

My observation here is that threads with "self-defense" in the title usually degenerate quite rapidly, requiring closure.

It's probably a perfectly innocent choice of title by you, but that's frequently what happens.

The usual suspects are hereby warned; and we'll see how it goes...

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Because of the small reflectors, you'll have difficulty finding Quark-sized lights that combine lumens & throw as well as the larger designs do, since both heat and small reflectors tend to work against you. If your definition of self-defense is being able to temporarily blind someone, the D26-sized reflectors (6P and all similar variants) will probably give you more appropriate choices that combine lumens with throw (the latter is important to keep more of the light concentrated in a smaller hotspot so it's brighter on target). Unfortunately, those are all going to be physically larger lights than the Quark-sized designs. Kind of a tradeoff.

My most "blinding" light is the Fenix TK40, but it's certainly nowhere near the size you're looking for. OTOH, it's big enough to use as a bludgeon if the light coming out the front end doesn't stop somebody!

Noctis

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238745

That would be my definition of a "self-defense" light.

Personally, I think a light could potentially serve a very useful purpose in combat, but perhaps not in "self" defense. While my Thrunite XP-G supposedly puts out 300 or so lumens, I still wouldn't call it "blinding" in the sense that I can't look directly at it. And while there would be a blind spot in my vision(pointed it at a mirror from 7 feet away, so approximate distance would be 14 feet), it wouldn't blind me completely.

With that said, it IS very distracting and I won't be able to make out any details of anything in a 2 feet radius surrounding the head of the light. Thus it would be fairly easy to hide an actual self-defense weapon(mace, taser, knife) in plain sight. If your attacker tries to knock your light away while you have a knife held just under the head, he would very likely cut himself without making an attempt to do anything about the knife, simply because he couldn't see it. Ditto if he tackles you.

With a police squad surrounding the suspects, I expect it would conceal the actions of the other squad members.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think at close range pretty much any light will appear equally blinding.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's generally agreed that any +100 lumen light is very distracting and off-putting to a possible assailant when in dark conditions. However, any light in itself will not be enough in pretty much any situation to deter any serious attacker, in fact the primary use of a light in self-defence is as a lump of metal in your hand. Just remember that when buying a light, and use common sense when considering 'self defence' situations. A light that will be most use is one that is good for hitting someone with. ;)

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I just picked up a Quark Turbo and I bought it as a different beam style that has a very small hot spot that will be good for longer distances. I think that when in the max mode it would make it very had to see while its pointed in someones eyes and might give you the edge you would need to get away or get access to some other tool for protecting yourself. I just wanted another light that served a different purpose than my other lights do, it won't see much use I will save it for when I am going in the woods or maybe for a night time bike ride. Its nice to have options with what you carry and there are so many lights made that would serve as a bright blinding light but don't put all your effort into just a light if self defense is your main issue with the light then remember not everyone is affected the same way some people can even over come a taser so have options and don't rely on just one thing.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Self defense means protecting yourself from an attacker. A small hand held light is going to be of little use if they are close enough to reach you (useless as a weapon). Which is when most attackers make themselves known. Nobody is ever going make known from a distance their intent to harm you.

If you are using your light in your home for 'Self Defense' get a 3-4D maglite. I have one (4D) sitting next to my bed with a SSC P7 installed. It only ever gets used when the dog barks at 1am. No modes to sort through, just on (BRIGHT!) and off, with a long shaft of metal in your hand once the intruder is blind (insert imagination here).

If you're using it while walking, go for the TK40. It is still club like and very bright with a wide beam so you don't have to be as accurate with where you point it as you make your escape in haste.

Remember, he who runs fastest lives.

carrot

Flashaholic
Self defense starts with awareness of your environment. A bright light can aid in your awareness and shows that you are not simply another sheep. Self defense begins even before a conflict starts. Be careful though, because self-defense products may embolden you and cause you to walk into more dangerous situations than you would if you were completely unequipped.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Self defense starts with awareness of your environment. A bright light can aid in your awareness and shows that you are not simply another sheep. Self defense begins even before a conflict starts. Be careful though, because self-defense products may embolden you and cause you to walk into more dangerous situations than you would if you were completely unequipped.

+1 Great advise!

Even when armed it is still a good idea to keep moving to a safer location as Carrot has stated.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
carrot, that is a very good piece of advise. you should include it in your 'carrot's guide to high-end flashlights', perhaps under 'Crenellations and Scallops' section? :twothumbs

shark_za

Enlightened

A light for self defence is used exactly like this.
To light up dark areas so you can identify and assess the risks. Its a proactive device, not reactive.

Once there is a situation its merely a tool to assist you making sure you strike out at the threat and not at something innocent.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then we should call our self defense lights, "Environmental Awareness for the Preservation of Self, Lights." :grin2:

Latest posts