Fraen FT3 vs. 3x IMS, Which is better?

snowman

Newly Enlightened
I'm just wondering if anyone has seen side by side pics of the two beams, on the net or on CPF somewhere.

Also can anyone offer a good argument for which should to be used as an adventure racing light? It will be used as a headlamp for hiking, canoeing, climbing and rope work as well as map reading and navigation. Also first aid and camp duties are important. When on a mountain bike there will be auxiliary lighting in the form of a 10w MR-16 halogen spot.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snowman,

I can't say that I've seen a comparison of the two that you mention, but I will say this. If the 3X Fraen optic just puts a beam out like 3 Fraen LP's would, then I'd have to go for the three IMS reflector setup.

Just to give you an idea...

This is a PR equipped light with a lux III running at 1.2A. 20' from a white wall...
picture.JPG

This is a M@g light that I modded with 3 Lux III's and 3 IMS 17mm reflectors. It is a direct drive mod and the Luxes are getting about 800mA each at this point in the batts' life...
picture.JPG

The 3 IMS reflector setup puts out monster gobs of light.

snowman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I will go with the IMS reflectors. I can't wait to use my first Lux in a light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif