Free, Limited-Time Offer...Lathe Work - Not Too Complex Projects

BVH

Flashaholic
If you can make flat-bottomed holes in about the right place and size (20 +1/-0 mm) then that satisfies this project. I can't make flat-bottomed holes.

I use my endmills to make flat bottom holes (when I had a drill press) but have only up to 1/2" at the moment. With the lathe, I can only drill a hole dead center. A mill would do it with ease - but I don't have one quite yet. I can make the finned disk and you could take over from there.

tylernt

Enlightened
With the lathe, I can only drill a hole dead center.
Well... if you have a 4-jaw or a faceplate, you can drill off-center holes. You can also bolt an angle plate to your cross-slide in place of the compound and put a drill in your headstock. Both of these do require some extra indicating though.

Many ways to skin a cat. :)

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Well... if you have a 4-jaw or a faceplate, you can drill off-center holes. You can also bolt an angle plate to your cross-slide in place of the compound and put a drill in your headstock. Both of these do require some extra indicating though.

Many ways to skin a cat. :)

Yes, understood but (the proverbial "but") I want to do fairly simple things first just to get some time in nailing down my accuracy and becoming familiar with all the new tooling. I hope to have a mill in the next 3 months or so, so making mods for the lathe hopefully will not be necessary.

ADDED to top post and here: I prefer to make a quantity of one of whatever it might be. I want to try many different projects - and not get real good at one. Maybe two if I have to.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Just a status report. I've got a few items in line to make so let's hold any more requests until I get them made and then I'll open it up again.

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm new at this and have not used smaller machines so I don't have anything to compare it to. To me, it seems very rigid. No chatter, descent finishes - well, I do have a bit of chatter/high pitched ring when boring with my smaller 1/4 and 3/8 carbide shank bars. I've tried taking smaller cuts, am well within the bar extension limits and moving the bit .010 higher than center. I'm thinking I might be taking too little material as I've been taking about .003 - .004" per cut. If you haven't read WQuiles and DarkZero PM 1236 threads, they make great reading on this machine.

moderator007

Enlightened
Hi BVH, one of the very first projects I did on my lathe was to cut a maglite heat sink for a xml. Maybe you could make yourself a new xml mag or just simple give the heat sink away. There's always someone looking for a xml mag heatsink. Hats off to you for this thread BVH.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
That's a wicked generous offer of you, BVH. I have an idea for a Mag heatsink that lets an incandescent host accept the deep Rebel reflector without compromising contact between the head/tube O-ring. I can sketch it up in AutoCAD if you're interested in the project.

Regards,
-SF

BVH

Flashaholic
Wouldn't ya know it...My next 3 prospects are a few days or more away and I've got nothing to make for the next few days. :( I just know everything will arrive/break at the same time. Oh well.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly too simple but worth asking...

I need a small black Delrin knob made for a potentiometer. It's 12mm in diameter by 10mm high cylinder with a center hole drilled to accommodate fitting to a standard quarter inch potentiometer 'star' shaft. This center hole would need to be 8mm deep. The hole does also not need to be machined to match the Pot's star shaft - it'd just be the size of the inner diameter of the star shaft. I can then just force it onto the pot for a tight fit. The top edge would need to be beveled slightly to take the edge off it

That's about it - it's really quite boring!

If you want a little bit of a challenge a small slot could be machined axially to fit a 5.5mm x 1.5mm tritium slot to act as a position marker. Not sure how this could be done on a lathe mind you. That's probably more of a CNC job.

If you're interested I can PM better details, drawings etc.

Cheers,

- Matt

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Sure! Why not! "Business" is real slow right now. Might as well have some of my "work" Down Under. Waiting on material for one job and nothing else in the Que. Imagine that, nobody wants free machining of simple things.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked Bob if it was possible for him to machine me a potentiometer knob for a light I am busy working on due to my inability to machine my own or buy one that looked like it belonged to the light. The result is below:

I am more than happy with what he did. Awesome fit, perfect finish. I might add a slot for a trit marker on one side but I'm afraid I'll screw up Bob's excellent work. Lucky he made me two :naughty:.

Can't believe people are not making up projects just to take advantage of this excellent offer. Anyway - I highly recommend Bob's services.

Cheers,

- Matt

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a AAA minimag that is in need of a heatsink. You game? I don't have any measuring tools, but I can tell you approximate dimensions will be that of a single AAA, with one end tapering to a diameter of ~8mm, and it may need a groove for one of the connections to the battery.

BVH

Flashaholic
The AAA is the Solitaire, correct? If so, I don't have one of them on-hand. I do have a AA Minimag. In any case, can you hand-draw a pic and post it? I'm sure I could find a cheap AAA at Home Depot for exact measurements.

Thanks for your kind words Matt.