FS: 5,000+ lumen Dropin for Maglite.

Lance Carbuncle

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I just received your 2,000 lumen dropin and absolutely love it. You mentioned being able to run the 5,000 lumen dropin on D cells but I wanted to clarify a few things. I am using the Powerex precharged D cells I see you mentioned that a 6D maglite would run the 5,000 lumen dropin on alkalines. I know you said max voltage is 8.4 but I don't know if your driver is buck only, or buck-boost. If it's boost also, what is the minimum voltage? Would the 5,000 lumen dropin run on a 3 or 4 battery maglite using good NiMH rechargables?

Cheers, Lance

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lance.

The driver is linear. Voltage out is equal to voltage in. The maximum "true voltage" is 8.4V. Alkaline cells can be used because they sag so ridiculously under a load. They probly deliver about 0.8v under that kind of load, and would be depleted quickly (hence the suggestion on NIMH). The min voltage needed is around 5.5v to have any light coming out, but once the pack voltage drops below about 7.2 there will be noticeable dimming.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi, when you say "quality NINM D Cells" can you tell me what you mean by "quality"?

Is 10,000mAh NIMH the way to go? I see some at 3000 and 2500. Am I correct in thinking 10,000mAh NIMH D Cells are the ones to choose?

Thanks so much.

Hi Bushman,

You could get the 5,000 lumen output using a pair of IMR 26650s, or also get pretty close with quality NIMH D cells like Tengergy Centura. Using Alkaline cellls you might get half of that. Maximum voltage for the bulb is 8.4 actual volts. You can use 6x 1.5V alkaline cells because they only put out around 1.2V under a load. Yes, the firefly would be 800 lumen using 6 alkaline D cells.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, when you say "quality NINM D Cells" can you tell me what you mean by "quality"?

Is 10,000mAh NIMH the way to go? I see some at 3000 and 2500. Am I correct in thinking 10,000mAh NIMH D Cells are the ones to choose?

Thanks so much.

Quite the opposite actually. Anything with 3000~ is good. Anything at 10,000 is guaranteed to be a bad cell, and is a blatant lie of capacity. Hope that helps :)

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow that really does help. Thank you so much! You just saved me from dropping £50 on 8 d-cell "10,000mAh" batteries.

Thanks again!

Quite the opposite actually. Anything with 3000~ is good. Anything at 10,000 is guaranteed to be a bad cell, and is a blatant lie of capacity. Hope that helps :)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mick,

You could use those, but alkaline are a very expensive way to power a light like this. They also can't drive the bulb to full power because they sag too much under a load. I suggest using NIMH rechargeable cells. I use Tenergy centura.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vesture, I'm pretty sure those duracells are NIMH - or am I being mental?

thanks

Hi Mick,

You could use those, but alkaline are a very expensive way to power a light like this. They also can't drive the bulb to full power because they sag too much under a load. I suggest using NIMH rechargeable cells. I use Tenergy centura.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Vesture, I'm pretty sure those duracells are NIMH - or am I being mental?

thanks

No, it was me being mental. I apologize. Those D cells could work. Just be aware that they are proby a "dummy" shell with a smaller AA sized cell cased in the center. The capacity of only 3000ma would indicate that is likely the case (typical D nimh cells are 8,000ma capacity). How well they would carry the load is uncertain. Duracell makes a good AA cell. The prechared AA with a white ring on the top that are made in Japan are A++ grade. They also package a cell that is not great in the same wrapper, black ring on the top made in China. Whats in the center of that, who knows?

I know you guys really get burned on import taxes in EU so I see why you want to find cells there. I must say after search ebay and amazon EU it's a very shallow battery pool. If you can manage a set of the Tengergy precharged cells you wont be sorry though.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
I know you guys really get burned on import taxes in EU so I see why you want to find cells there. I must say after search ebay and amazon EU it's a very shallow battery pool. If you can manage a set of the Tengergy precharged cells you wont be sorry though.

I hear you, but I am spending a lot on hosts and bulb upgrades so I don't want to shirk on the battery. If you are recommending Tenergy NIMH D-cells then that's what I'll try and get. Even if it means ordering from the USA.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be running the XHP-50 drop in on 6 Tenergy Centura NIMH cells. Any idea of the runtime on high?

Thanks!

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, I also noticed a decent bump in lumens after soldering a jumper in the tail. Now I'm waiting for my T8 to arrive so I can so the same to the switch.
3ea60a50454ffb31da17f80234aada4b.jpg

Last edited:

tomstephens89

Newly Enlightened
Hi Matt, firstly love your channel and I'm the proud owner of 3 of your 5000 lumen drop ins.

Question...

I've done the low resistance switch mod to my 2D, have also swapped the brass bolt in the 26650 sleeve for a thicker one, removed the small positive contact spring from the switch battery side (sleeve bolt directly contacts switch now without that tiny spring, AND removed the anodising from the threads at the tail.

All of a sudden the drop in can now pull full current from the cells, which is around 10 amps I suspect... This triggers the protection on the XTAR 26650's I am using (10A Contiuous rated). But that's a good sign as my mods are working. I've got some unprotected 20A cells on the way...

You have said the drop in requires around 5.5v for any light at all. Which means I could use this as an indicator before overdischarge of the cells I suppose?

My other question is on the thermals. Is there any built in thermal regulation for safety? Or will this light up until things start catching fire? I hope it's the latter....

Thanks
Tom