• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoy

Enlightened
Re: Microprocessor controlled 4-mode driver boards

I would be interested in the 1 x AA board. I am not aware of an existing solution with specs this good.

RV7

Newly Enlightened

New modes can be found on the first post. Also please post your preferences as to how the mode switching should work. I'm reading!:)

From now on, I'll edit the first post to show updates to the design.

liquidsix

Enlightened

From what I've read in a bunch of threads, a lot of people want a light that comes back on in the stage you left it at. I'm definitely one of those people, so I vote for no default.

joedm

Newly Enlightened

what a shame that you've given up on the strobe. This would've been really useful to modify my current lights so that I could use them as strobe while riding my bike.

Oh well.. I'll keep checking in case you decide to include it again.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened

i vote for 3 light levels + 1 fast strobe. 4 light leves is over kill IMO. I mean honestly, why would you need 4 light levels? :thinking:
Either way, I'd like a couple boards.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened

I'd probably be interested in both the 1.5V and 3.7V version, though I'd rather see something more like 100%/50%/~7%/Strobe or SOS. I'd choose SOS over Strobe, but it looks like neither are planned at the moment. I think 3% may be excessively low, but then no two opinions are alike with this sort of thing it seems.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I think I'd find the memory mode the most useful. Still keen on a 2 AA board.
Norm
If you leave it on for more than two seconds, then the next time you turn it on it will
- remain at the same mode

vetkaw63

Enlightened

Please no default mode. That way everybody could be happy. you could leave it at the mode you use the most but, have the other modes available.
I would also be interested in both boards.
Thanks,
Mike

davenlei

Newly Enlightened

RV7,

On the 3.7v version, what would be the min/max input voltage?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a pro in electronics, so could you please
explain to us the pros/cons of MOSFET and PWM
and their differences between "IC-regulating" ?

For the price, interested for sure !
Also, the thinner the boards, the better.
(Single cell) Flashlighs are made small and have
very limited real-estate.

I would like to see a driver able to handle 750~1000mA
from either a 3.0v and 3.7v cell.

How tall is your tallest component and what is
the thinnest assembly you can make ?

sskyy

Newly Enlightened

Please keep the original modes (100% - 25% - 10% - Strobe)
They are perfect.
sskyy

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested even though those are mighty tall drivers for modding smaller sized flashlights???? But yet, :sold: So when the Q & A ends and there is a product to be had............. Paypal is impatiently waiting to be sent! :poke: I mean patiently waiting, of course! :oops:

Thanks
Ken:D

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I've read in a bunch of threads, a lot of people want a light that comes back on in the stage you left it at. I'm definitely one of those people, so I vote for no default.

Definately a good idea with no default. And please keep the strobe, which can be useful in an emergency.
Stefan

dom

Enlightened

Can these be operated with a momentary switch like the bFlex? Or do you need a clunky on/off or twisty switch?
If momentary -i buy a bunch of both -any configuration.

Cheers
Dom

RV7

Newly Enlightened

RV7,

On the 3.7v version, what would be the min/max input voltage?

It works in the full voltage range of a single 3.7V Li Ion battery, from 4.2V to as low as 2.5V (Edit: Must correct myself. Should be 4.2v to around 3.1v. Below 3.1V the output is too low. Anyhow a normal Li-Ion loses almost all of its juice at 3.2V.) The output will decline when the battery gets low. But I find I'm quite comfortable with that because when I notice the output decline, I know I'll still have quite some time of useful output before the battery dropps too low. So I don't need to worry about a sudden death of the light. Also I can safely use unprotected batteries.

I'm also considering another driver board that provides a true flat output of 1A, even when the battery is only 2.5V. But this raises some concerns. First it mandates the use of protected battery or you risk over discharge your battery easily. Second if protected batteries are used and when the low voltage protection kicks in, the flashlight will die suddenly, leaving you in the darkness unprepared. This can be disastrous when you're exploring a cave or haunted house:eek: So I'm thinking the first driver is more practical.

Last edited:

RV7

Newly Enlightened

what a shame that you've given up on the strobe. This would've been really useful to modify my current lights so that I could use them as strobe while riding my bike.

Oh well.. I'll keep checking in case you decide to include it again.

:thinking: Looks like I'll have to program a few boards with strobe to keep you happy. Do you want the AA or 3.7V version?

RV7

Newly Enlightened

Can these be operated with a momentary switch like the bFlex? Or do you need a clunky on/off or twisty switch?
If momentary -i buy a bunch of both -any configuration.

Cheers
Dom

It should work with any switch.

RV7

Newly Enlightened

I'm not a pro in electronics, so could you please
explain to us the pros/cons of MOSFET and PWM
and their differences between "IC-regulating" ?

For the price, interested for sure !
Also, the thinner the boards, the better.
(Single cell) Flashlighs are made small and have
very limited real-estate.

I would like to see a driver able to handle 750~1000mA
from either a 3.0v and 3.7v cell.

How tall is your tallest component and what is
the thinnest assembly you can make ?

PWM is turning the light on and off quickly and by controlling the proportion the light is on in each cycle you get different levels of output. If the PWM frequency is too low, it can be noticed and annoying. Now the mainstream frequency is about 100Hz. But mine is 5KHz, absolutely not noticeable to the naked eyes.

You can think of a MOSFET as a slick switch with gold coated contacts. On the other hand a transistor is like a switch with sticky and uncoated contacts. I'm using MOSFET in both the 1AA step up circuit and the PWM circuit.

To clarify, the first kind of the 3.7V boards I mentioned above doesn't use MOSFET because the driver IC has a control pin that requires little current thus can be connected directly to the output pin of the PWM processor. But 3.0V is already at the declining part of the output chart of this board so it's not suitable for 3.0V batteries.

edit: The board sizes are listed in the first post. The 1AA version is a little taller due to the special inductor needed to achieve the high output.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.