Good fixed blade

1DaveN

Enlightened
They're not because the heat treatment is different and they sell lots of knives that fall outside the company's original quadratic.

Thanks - that makes sense. I think the knife I have costs about the same today as it did when I got mine 35+ years ago, so it wouldn't be surprising if the quality had changed since then.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
Get a mora companion heavy duty and save the rest of the money to eventually buy a nice knife. I do a lot of trading around of knives and in my view there is nothing to be gained in the 20-50 range over the mora. If you want it to strike a fire steel you will have to work the spine a bit.

tex.proud

Enlightened
For under $50 you can't go wrong with the Mora knives. You can get 2 or 3 for that price, and toss on in different bags. The're great buscraft blades. If you want something more stout, I'd search the bladehq website. Top notch service, great prices, and fast shipping. Lot's of experience with them. Although, for a more stout blade of 1095 carbon steel (some say the best for outdoor use) a good blade may be around $75.

Tex.Proud

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esee 6 comes to mind. Excellent 1095, black coated and strong coating too. Easy to sharpen. Not too big, not too small. All rounder IMHO.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bark River knives are drool worthy blades but expensive. I know this is an older thread but the BK2 is literally indestructible. For such a thick knife mine came incredibly sharp I was very impressed. They have also improved the sheath. The black coating is food safe and the reason the spine is so thick is to make it baton like a monster.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, somewhere in my dreams I've got this one:

bravo-1.5-s35vn.jpg

roger-roger

Enlightened
BTW: the BK2 is .25" thick! Thats a beast.

Seems a bit expensive too for what it is and for 1095 steel. Not that I don't like 1095 having lived with USMC Ka Bars for years, as hunting-camp and beach-camp knives. Plus the two tuna-sashimi butchering knives my Dad made for me, as well as a .25" x 9" pig hunting knife.

The BK2 is a higher thickness:length for my needs, but its 1095 is a gratifying steel for sharpening.

Fwiw I recently bought a Mora Companion MG (stainless) for a light-hike pack knife.

CoolBreeze135

Newly Enlightened
Seems a bit expensive too for what it is and for 1095 steel. Not that I don't like 1095 having lived with USMC Ka Bars for years, as hunting-camp and beach-camp knives. Plus the two tuna-sashimi butchering knives my Dad made for me, as well as a .25" x 9" pig hunting knife.

The BK2 is a higher thickness:length for my needs, but its 1095 is a gratifying steel for sharpening.

Fwiw I recently bought a Mora Companion MG (stainless) for a light-hike pack knife.

Not to be picky, but Kabar actually uses 1095 Cro-Van, which is pretty much the same as Sharon Steel Carbon V or 0170-6. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I imagine it is a bit more expensive than plain 1095. I can't tell a huge performance difference, besides the fact that 1095 CV resists rust better.

The BK2 is quite thick. For that reason I was never interested, but I was gifted one recently. It's actually pretty good at finer work despite the size. However, it isn't one of my top choices for a good utility fixed blade. My BK16 and BK14 are better for many things, and get used more often. It's hard to beat the 14 in that price range.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANY Becker lol. Have the 2,4,7 and 17 favorite is the 17 had it pro sharpened the sheath is really good. All are upgraded with the awesome micarta scales. ESEE knives Ive had a couple. Their handles are flat sided makes it uncomfortable. The 1095 that both Becker and ESEE use is freaking outstanding. Keeps the cost down can you imagine what a BK2 would cost if it were made of M390 or CTS XHP?

Ive got several other fixed blades mostly Bucks and Ka Bars. Ka Bar MkI is a surprisingly good all purpose knife for roughly 50 bucks. Its not huge like the USMC MkII. Had mine pro sharpened holds its edge extremely well. Sheath is good. I remember having the large Ka Bar fixed tanto and actually hacking a small tree down with it.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Busse Combat Knives, most of it is $300 and up, use it all you can, 10 years latter, sell it for the same price you pay or higher.

Latest posts