Good old classic Surefire A2

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
I spoke with them yesterday. They insisted they do not have anymore stock, never intend to manufacture them again, and in the case we're unable to find replacement bulbs we will be SOL. So much for a lifetime guarantee.

The rep seemed less than motivated to help me locate a replacement bulb for my A2 through other sources, beyond suggesting trying "online retailers" (mind you, I even notified him the retailers he suggested were already sold out).

This is a testament to an organization going under-water. I don't expect as much continued support from SF as they probably did continued revenue.

To hell with their corporation; they should've cut their pockets before cutting the engineers of their "old" lights, and before implementing plastic optics, lumen-chasing LED's, and smooth no-knurled bodies.

Mine all have koala rings as well. I'm not sure what surefire says about the lamps. I haven't personally called them and asked. I think I will though. They do not offer them on their website anymore. There is a few places that has them in stock but who knows for how long.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke with them yesterday. They insisted they do not have anymore stock, never intend to manufacture them again, and in the case we're unable to find replacement bulbs we will be SOL. So much for a lifetime guarantee.

The rep seemed less than motivated to help me locate a replacement bulb for my A2 through other sources, beyond suggesting trying "online retailers" (mind you, I even notified him the retailers he suggested were already sold out).

This is a testament to an organization going under-water. I don't expect as much continued support from SF as they probably did continued revenue.

To hell with their corporation; they should've cut their pockets before cutting the engineers of their "old" lights, and before implementing plastic optics, lumen-chasing LED's, and smooth no-knurled bodies.

I understand why you'd be upset, but consider this: US law requires auto manufacturers to provide replacement parts on any model they make for 10 years. Surefire discontinued the A2 sometime around 2009 when they introduced the A2L. That means that they've supplied replacement parts for 7 years on a light they no longer made. I'd count your blessings and be thankful that Lumens Factory still makes a somewhat viable alternative for a light that hasn't been in production in nearly a decade.

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
I understand why you'd be upset, but consider this: US law requires auto manufacturers to provide replacement parts on any model they make for 10 years. Surefire discontinued the A2 sometime around 2009 when they introduced the A2L. That means that they've supplied replacement parts for 7 years on a light they no longer made. I'd count your blessings and be thankful that Lumens Factory still makes a somewhat viable alternative for a light that hasn't been in production in nearly a decade.

The overhead of producing and storing auto-parts is incomparable to flashlight parts, let alone light bulbs. The auto-industry does not guarantee their products for life. Planned-obsolescency.

I didn't spend hundreds of dollars over other flashlights for nothing.

Anyway, I wonder if I can manipulate Strion bulbs into the HO-A2 or MA-02 housings, since the FM kits are unavailable.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to re-read SF's warranty: http://www.surefire.com/warranty

The warranty does not cover consumables, ie: light bulbs.

Just thinking out loud here: if the bulb burns out on your A2, and you are unable to source a replacement, does that mean Surefire should replace the A2 with an A2L to properly service the light? In other words, if the light quits working, and they can't help you get it running again, does that constitute a failure of the light?

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
UK suppliers all look like they're now out of stock for MA02 bulbs - so I've decided to stock up on Lumens Factory replacements for my 2 round bodies A2s, take out my existing Surefire MA02 bulbs (all of which have very low run times at present) and keep them for my one 4 flats A2. That should see me out.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first (EDIT: round body) A2. A very cool light! There ist just one problem that I have: I have to press the switch with an extreme amount of pressure which I can hardly do with only one hand if I want to activate the bulb momentarily. It doesn't seem to make a difference how the tailcap ist orientated. The LEDs are activated much more easily. Constant-On operation works normally.

Is this normal? How hard do you guys need to press the switch to light the bulb?

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my first A2. A very cool light! There ist just one problem that I have: I have to press the switch with an extreme amount of pressure which I can hardly do with only one hand if I want to activatre the bulb momentarily. It doesn't seem to make a difference how the tailcap ist orientated. The LEDs are activated much more easily. Constant-On operation works normally.

Is this normal? How hard do you guys need to press the switch to light the bulb?

Mine is the same way. Although I don't remember the older 4-flats version needing that much pressure.

Off topic:
Do you know your membership # Sean? Looks like you have been here a long, long time.

Yep, I'm old! :)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you weren't aware member Fivemega has made bi-pin adapter in the past that uses Streamlight Strion bulbs. Not currently available but could give you some ideas.

From what I remember the Strion bulbs were a bit over driven in that setup and tended to blacken quickly like the Lumens Factory bulbs. But then the Strion bulbs tended to blacken quickly even in their stock setup in my experience.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens factory sells their HO-A2 only. You will have to search for the MA02. They can be found if you look around, no one knows for how long though. The lumens factory work good, only issue is they can be inconsistent on which a2 they will work in. I just received my replacement from lumens factory the other day it it works just fine. They are worth trying atleast.

They were designed to work in the flat sided and round sided A2. So when used in a round sided A2 they can tend to cause the factory bulbs to no longer work if you tighten the head too much. Also, some 4-flats won't work with it unless you really tighten them down if the HO-A2 is slightly out of spec.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Yes I will agree the beam tends to be better with the lumens factory bulbs. It is a little brighter as well..

Yes, the Lumens Factory HO-A2 is slightly brighter than the stock lamp assembly.

The nice thing about the stock bulb is that with the soft start and regulation, plus SF manufacture quality, it pretty much seems to last forever. I even run them on IMR16340 rechargeables all the time. I have one that I have been using for many years and even one of the wires was knocked off the base at one point. It continues to work perfectly with no signs of imminent death or bulb darkening.

Last edited:

Ahshan

Newly Enlightened
Lumens Factory! I have their bulbs in all my A2's and love them.

BTW: Where are you located? IE: USA??

The land of cattle, Texas.

This eBay seller has a number of Surefire incandescent bulbs that are NIP. Good prices, too. Buyer beware as this seller only has 97 transactions on eBay which is low, but their feedback is 100%.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=surefire&_sacat=0

I just scored a pair; the last one went seconds later. Thanks for the heads up!

It seems the LF HO-A2 has gone up in price recently. Are A2 bulbs going the way of .22 LR ammo?

Anyway, time for some onion rings :D

Last edited:

Latest posts