Good Small EDC Choices

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, first post! Glad to be part of such a cool community!

Ever since I picked up a E01 for my keychain, I've been in love with the utility of having a small flashlight on my person 24/7. I'm looking to expand a little bit and get a better light to complement the little guy, ideally with a bit more "oomph". I'm really reticent about dropping lots of money on a light, as I find I use lights (E01, a little Streamlight, and a big FourSevens) pretty regularly. They get dropped and scraped up, and I think I would cry if I killed or lost a high-end light. I'm looking for a light with the following specs:
-Cheap(ish): Preferably around $50, but I could probably go as high as $70. I'd prefer to stay on the less expensive side, though.
-Tough: This would be something I use pretty regularly. I love to get outdoors, and the light would accompany me on hiking, running, and climbing excursions (not to mention frequent every day use).
-Bright: I don't need ten million Lumens, but I definitely want some more power than the 10 Lumens my keychain light pumps out. Around 200 would be ideal.
-Clicky Switch: This is not a huge priority, but I do prefer these over the twist-switches.
-Small Size: Ideally it would fit in my pocket, along with my other EDC stuff (knife, pencil, keys, etc.)

Any suggestions? If nothing meets those exact specs, feel free to suggest anything that sounds like it would meet my needs. You guys probably know far more about this stuff than me. :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Treat yourself to the Eagletac D25A clicky,cracking little light and by far my favourite out of my collection of over 60 lights.It has a simple user interface with memory and a turbo mode for max power plus a real nice moon mode for a bathroom visit at silly o clock.

For more "wow" buy the c version that use those silly little fat batteries that are over priced at retail in the UK.

AB8XL

Enlightened
I'll second the EagleTac D25A Clicky, it's the best EDC light there is in my opinion. Even better with the Nichia 219B neutral LED for the outdoors.

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I'll do some research. As for batteries, I would love AAs or AAAs (more commonality with my existing lights), but CR123s aren't a deal breaker.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Another option, a Tiara from Armytek. Available in AA or CR123, they have a diffused, floody beam, a nice moonlight mode. And the angled head is very versatile - you can set it on a flat surface or use the picket clip to attach to a pocket, coat, or anything.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has the EA11 and EA21, both in the fifty-something range. The EA11 will run on either a regular or Eneloop AA with a high of about 150 lumens, or on a 1440 with a high of 900 lumens. The EA21 uses two AA (no 10440), and a high of around 300 lumens.

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
That ArmyTek looks pretty sweet, if pricey. Still, the angled head seems fantastically useful, as does the versatility of the headband. Any thoughts on the little OLights? S10/15 and Maverick?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I'll do some research. As for batteries, I would love AAs or AAAs (more commonality with my existing lights), but CR123s aren't a deal breaker.

Well, if you like your FourSevens light they have a great sale going on at the moment - you can get a Quark Pro w/XPG2 with both AA AND CR123 body for $44 delivered ;).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi reppans, I can't seem to find Quark Pro w/xpg2 at that price. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Click the light finder menu at the top of the page, it'll arrange in price order. 1xCR123 XPG2 Quarks are $30, take another 12% CPF disc at checkout. Note this head come with a fixed non-removeable clip, or no clip. Clips are included on all the other batt tubes, which as a low voltage head, this light can run (only 16650/17670 in the 2L tube though).

Jagged77

Newly Enlightened
I've bought an LD09 for my wife as a Christmas pressie - having had a play around with it I'm impressed and confident she'll appreciate it as an EDC. I've been using the new PD22 UE and really love the UI and performance - plus you can use rechargeables (which also give the max output). A really bright and tough little light that I guess crosses over into the tactical category (strobe and crenelated bezel - although the overall length is slightly short for my large mitts) - not that I have use for that as such though...

Charles L.

Enlightened
That ArmyTek looks pretty sweet, if pricey. Still, the angled head seems fantastically useful, as does the versatility of the headband. Any thoughts on the little OLights? S10/15 and Maverick?

S10 and S15 are really nice lights for the price. Somehow I've managed to end up with the S10, S15, and S20! Very easy to use, nice floody beam. But I agree with Bob Damon -- I'd go with the Tiara. Eagletac D series is a nice light, but mine sits on the shelf as I am not a fan of twisty head UI's.

Good luck in your search!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery choice is important. You may also want to consider moving up to Li-ion power. CR123a size is known as RCR123 or 16430 and AA size is 14500. The next size up is 18650, this size is IMO brilliant. Massive runtime vs the others.

Remember AA/AAA is 1.2v per battery (NiMh) - ps don't use alkaline!!!! Use rechargeable such as Sanyo Eneloop as they have low self discharge, or lithium primaries such as Energizer (1.5v).

While CR123a are a good hike up with 3.0v but more money and throw away. Li-ion is 4.2v, so you get a lot higher performance. But you will need torches that run on this voltage, you can't just use them in any old flashlight.

It's also worth noting you don't need to spend big money to get a descent or good torch. Sure high priced premium ones are nice too, and often have unique selling points, such as their UI, design or place of assembly. But you can still get very good torches for less.

If 18650 appeals as a power source. Have a look at the Solarforce T1 (Google Solarforce-sales).

The Convoy S2, S2+ and S3 are all very good too and even cheaper. (Google Banggood and then search their site)

I will put a vote in for EagleTac as I do like my D25LC2 Mini. But you do pay quite a bit more for such lights.

AAA lights are great as a very small EDC light. But they will always have limited runtime and performance.

AA is a nice compromise size wise. I quite like the Balder BD-1 run on a 14500.

Something else to note about batteries.

14500 and 16340 tend to have 500-800mAh. Being 4.2v they can deliver a lot of performance and high output. But on very high outputs runtimes can be low.

An 18650 is 2500-3400mAh. Basically a huge jump up in runtime.

A pic to help with judging sizes:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC52: Very small for a 1xAA light, great UI, lots of output and a good selection of modes (though the moonlight modes are dimmer than spec). I've carried one almost everyday for two years with no issue and it still looks nearly new. The only light I'm looking at to replace is it is the larger SC62 (18650). I usually use with 14500 cells but also a great performer on AA.

Armytek Tiara: Can't comment on this much as I only received it two days ago and have only tried it as a headlamp. Great build quality and anodizing (typical Armytek), lots of output modes and extremely bright for an AA/14500 light (even beats the SC52 by a bit). I got the Tiara Warm A1 Pro model and the tint is excellent. The button takes more force the Zebralight and the UI is good but somewhat more complex that the Zebralight UI. The output is very wide, floody and smooth. The Pro model has a magnet in the base you can use to the attach the light to ferrous materials. It's a bit chunkier and longer than the SC52 but in line with the size of a more typical 1xAA light.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
S10 and S15 are really nice lights for the price. Somehow I've managed to end up with the S10, S15, and S20! Very easy to use, nice floody beam. But I agree with Bob Damon -- I'd go with the Tiara. Eagletac D series is a nice light, but mine sits on the shelf as I am not a fan of twisty head UI's.

Good luck in your search!
The EagleTac D series is available with a clicky too.

BTW - I have the S15 Baton XM-L2. I like lots of things about it. But there are some negatives too:

-The tint on mine is horrid. I've read this is due to the AR glass in the lens.
-single AA performance is very poor
-14500 performance is pretty lousy too with short runtimes
-And worst of all, the side switch very easily activates in your pocket - all the friggin time. Physically locking it out solves this, but then you might as well have a twisty.....

That said:

-UI is brilliant
-As is the general quality and build of the light
-2xAA performance is very good and still pocket friendly
-Love the magnet in the tailcap but when in 2xAA config isn't strong enough to hold the light on a vertical surface!!!!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD 22 and do not look back. Also go to batteryjunction for the Dura cell CR123a batteries and buy them 12 at a time.

Charles L.

Enlightened
CD, I agree with most of what you say about the S15. Mine is a newer one, reflective coating has been revised, tint is great. I read often about the side switch activation issue, but I dunno -- maybe it's the uses I put them to or the way I carry it, but I don't have this issue. And the newer lights have a redesigned switch -- at least the rechargeable ones do. But you're right about its use as a single AA unless you use a 14500, in which case its runtime is almost as bad as an RCR123-equipped light. My personal fave of the 3 is the S20. The S10 sits on a baseball cap at all times -- wife prefers this configuration to a headlamp.

D series clicky still requires one to twist the head to access turbo -- highest and lowest modes are the ones I tend to use most often, but of course YMMV. And if you want moonlight mode, you sacrifice high. We all have our likes and dislikes :)

Almost too many good choices, aren't there Terrier? Best just to buy a bunch of them!

Last edited: