Good Small EDC Choices

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, this is more feedback than I was expecting! I think I've narrowed my list down to: (in no particular order)
-Fenix LD09
-ArmyTek Tiara
-Olight S15
-SolarForce T1
-Fenix PD22

The EagleTac and Zebralight looked awesome, but if I'm going to drop that kind of money on a light then I'd rather get the added versatility of the headlamp that the Tiara has. Definitely want to get my hands on a SC52 at some point, though...

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
I have been scouring the aa/aaa flashlight options.

the armytek tiara a1 is a lot like the fenix HL 50. Takes Cr123 or AA (comes with two tubes) have a tail magnet separates from the head band... Little more affordable than the army tek tiara. I want both army tek Tiara A1 and HL 50.

fenix lights are nice, I own a few (5) there are many alternatives to "popular" brands, balder makes an affordable decent light with some high end options, xeno is nice too but a but more in price. Olight S15 baton with extension is OTW . I can comment more on that one after it arrives. (Dec29)
the balder SE-1 simple , affordable, extendable, is OTW as well.

many many options, I have given myself headaches from reading / researching, fuel source, run times time, throw/flood, tints, metals, lenses, etc. it really comes down to preference....

Let us know what you decided...

OTW: on the way
OMW: on my way

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow guys, this is more feedback than I was expecting! I think I've narrowed my list down to: (in no particular order)
-Fenix LD09
-ArmyTek Tiara
-Olight S15
-SolarForce T1
-Fenix PD22

The EagleTac and Zebralight looked awesome, but if I'm going to drop that kind of money on a light then I'd rather get the added versatility of the headlamp that the Tiara has. Definitely want to get my hands on a SC52 at some point, though...

I often use my Fenix PD 22 as a headlamp when working under my car or in tight less than well lit areas. I take an old baseball hat and drill four holes in the beak. I then use two zip ties to zip tie the light to the hat. The tolerances are such that I can remove and replace the light in the same zip ties time and time again. Works great and there is no elastic band to wear out.

The light weighs so little that you do not even notice it on the baseball cap beak but the light is nice to illuminate areas under the hood or under the vehicle while having both hands free for tools, etc.

spike3rd

Newly Enlightened
I'll add that I'm VERY happy w/my Olight S10. It has already been through the wash and survived. I had to change the battery, and it has some dings, but it still functions perfectly. Thanks to everyone here for an outstanding forum!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
the armytek tiara a1 is a lot like the fenix HL 50. Takes Cr123 or AA (comes with two tubes) have a tail magnet separates from the head band... Little more affordable than the army tek tiara. I want both army tek Tiara A1 and HL 50.

I own both of these headlamps. My Tiara A1 is the Pro version(cool white) with moonlight and tail magnet.

The HL50 can run on 1AA or 1cr123. It CANNOT run on a LiIon cell so no 14500 or RCR. Great tint on the Fenix but only 3 modes+ momentary turbo, but they are very nicely spaced modes.

I like the A1 Pro better for several reasons. It can run from 1AA or 1x14500. It has battery low voltage protection. It has a very low moonlight and a very bright Turbo that is not momentary. It has the tail magnet and pocket clip.

Also while the tint is nicer on the Fenix, the beam pattern of the A1 is IDEAL for most tasks IMO.

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered the L3 Illumination L10C. It's looks darn near almost exactly what I was looking for! Any thoughts on it? Otherwise, I'm thinking either SolarForce T1 or LD09. The Olight would be on top, but it seems like every review I read complains about the accidental turn-on problem, which puts it out of the running.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
I own both of these headlamps. My Tiara A1 is the Pro version(cool white) with moonlight and tail magnet.

The HL50 can run on 1AA or 1cr123. It CANNOT run on a LiIon cell so no 14500 or RCR. Great tint on the Fenix but only 3 modes+ momentary turbo, but they are very nicely spaced modes.

I like the A1 Pro better for several reasons. It can run from 1AA or 1x14500. It has battery low voltage protection. It has a very low moonlight and a very bright Turbo that is not momentary. It has the tail magnet and pocket clip.

Also while the tint is nicer on the Fenix, the beam pattern of the A1 is IDEAL for most tasks IMO.

thank you for the info. I don't get to play with my HL50 until Christmas.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I just discovered the L3 Illumination L10C. It's looks darn near almost exactly what I was looking for! Any thoughts on it? Otherwise, I'm thinking either SolarForce T1 or LD09. The Olight would be on top, but it seems like every review I read complains about the accidental turn-on problem, which puts it out of the running.

Hey Terrier, I have three L10C's. Two work great; the third has a loose clicky that can be pushed out of place by the battery. Someone else mentioned QC issues with this light, and I may have discovered why. I'm considering a few ways to secure the clicky to the body of the light. Wish I didn't have to.

One other thing about the L10C -- it's actually longer (albeit thinner and lighter) than my SC62d. I look at the L10… look at the SC62… and pick up the SC62.

special engineer

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC52: Very small for a 1xAA light, great UI, lots of output and a good selection of modes (though the moonlight modes are dimmer than spec). I've carried one almost everyday for two years with no issue and it still looks nearly new. The only light I'm looking at to replace is it is the larger SC62 (18650). I usually use with 14500 cells but also a great performer on AA.

Armytek Tiara: Can't comment on this much as I only received it two days ago and have only tried it as a headlamp. Great build quality and anodizing (typical Armytek), lots of output modes and extremely bright for an AA/14500 light (even beats the SC52 by a bit). I got the Tiara Warm A1 Pro model and the tint is excellent. The button takes more force the Zebralight and the UI is good but somewhat more complex that the Zebralight UI. The output is very wide, floody and smooth. The Pro model has a magnet in the base you can use to the attach the light to ferrous materials. It's a bit chunkier and longer than the SC52 but in line with the size of a more typical 1xAA light.

Instead of the Zebralight SC52, take a look at the H52. It is basically the same light as the SC52 but with the angled head like the Armytek Tiara. The H52 is basically a direct competitor to the tiara but about $30 cheaper.(I have no experience with the tiara so I can't say that it is better)

I have the H52w and it has a great tint. The UI is extremely easy to learn and use. I would recommend using 14500 with it but it does very well with Lithium primaries and the ability to use alkaline AA's is great. It has been my EDC for about 6 months and has been great. I usually carry it in the coin pocket of my jeans. I also use this as a headlamp when camping and headband is comfortable and easy to adjust and you can quickly pull the light out without taking off the headband if you need.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened

i got the HL50 yesterday. After examining it I noticed that it does come off the band, a metal clip remains on the lamp. It makes noise and damages the strap during the removing/attaching process if you are not ginger with your fingers. I think it is more useful as a head/neck lamp rather than a hand held.

Nice little lamp. But I'm moving up to the army tek wizard pro v2 sometime next year :D 10meter shock resistance! Oh my gosh... I may get the A1 pro as well .. Can't deny easy access to aa format fuel cells,

HJM

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to bookmark member selfbuilt's reviews.

Anyway, here's a couple of reviews on the L10, and L10C:

L3 Illumination L10 (XP-G2 R5 or Nichia 219, 1xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS, VIDEO+, cpf, selfbuilt, 11-29-2013

review: L3 Illumination L10C (Nichia 219B version), blf, 06/26/2014

_

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also lately, reliability issues.
Nice lights, but failure rate going up.

incd

Newly Enlightened
I would recomend Sunway C20C or Nitecore EC21.

Both use 18650 battery, yet its size still very compact, around 10cm.
With 18650 you get more runtime and brightness.