Have you owned a SureFire?

Have you owned a SureFire

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a 6p incandescent that was given to me. I was surprised how nice the beam was. I don't use it much.
I have been waiting for the updated Invictus and LX2 that were in the 2012 catalogue to come out. From what another forum member found out by phone, that may be delayed or not happen at all.
It was the user interface and ability to use rechargeables in those lights that has my attention.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Yeah, we know that CPF is pro-Surefire circlejerk, no need to remind everyone about that.
There are budget (budget compared to Surefire, which includes Fenix, Jetbeam, 4Sevens, etc) lights that are just as reliable as Surefire lights, and offer much better functionality (such as support for most energy-dense batteries - the 18650's, multiple modes, wide emitter choices etc) for less price.

Hey, not to sound rude, but this thread has nothing to do with what you're posting. The posts title says "Have you owned a Surefire" not "Are Surefire's worth it?". The arguments you are making are hardly new, and have been argued in literally hundreds of locked posts in this forum. They often get posts like this locked, mostly because they turn into an all out flame war. If you are really interested in pursuing this line of argument, please use the search tool and check out those posts to check out the responses.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a few years and a bunch of lights since I started collecting. After reading a thread this evening it occured to me, I've never owned a SureFire. Have you?

Nope not owned one. And honestly I'm not sure I can see the appeal, or at the very least they don't appeal to me. Great lights I'm sure, but not a single SureFire appears on any of my 'want' or 'maybe' lists.

Just had a quick look at the SureFire website, and it really only confirms my opinion. They don't seem to sell anything I'm remotely interested in, and certainly not for those prices.

Great lights I'm sure, just not for me though. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
reppans said:
Never owned one. I do like the idea of an ultra reliable, high quality light American light like SF and HDS, but SF just seems too focused on tactical and impractical, and both are too dedicated to the 123 format, which just seems to be a disadvantage if you like single cell rechargeables.

HDS lights accept rechargeables, as do some SFs.

stienke

Enlightened
My first Surefire was a D2 I bought about 15 years ago (looks like a 6P with clip) , after that I did collecting 48 Surefires but sold almost all after a few years , I sold my last L1 a few weeks ago!
So no Surefire at the moment:shrug:

GJR:wave:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently own:

E1L
Z2L
U2
M3T
M6
UB3T
Hellfighter

Used to own:

G2
E1 (vintage)
6P (vintage)
6R (vintage)
9P (vintage)
U2A
M6
M6
M3LT
P2X Fury

No, I didn't pay close to retail for any of them. That's for the birds. Also, maybe I've just drawn bad lots, but I haven't been too impressed by the quality of Fenix and Jetbeam lights I've owned or handled. Not saying SF's always worth the money but it sometimes is.

Last edited:

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an E1E, a G2 and a 6P (all incandescent) last year during the SureFire incandescent inventory clearance sales that were going on. I later added a KX4 head to the 6P for the led benefits. So far, all three lights work for my general needs quite well. The G2 may get a KX4 at some time in the future, if money permits...

WDR65

Enlightened
Currently own an E1B, U2 and LX2. I've owned over twenty but pared down my numbers after a move. The E1B is my most used light probably ever and I'm waiting patiently to upgrade to the EB1. I'm sure there will be more in my future. On the other side of the coin, I do own several Quarks and a couple of Fenix lights. I carry and use them as well but the core of my users are and have been for the past ten years Surefire's.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Guilty!!!
My humble three, E2DL, E1B and G2X Pro. Working on a last gen L1, waiting on the EB1!
Btw, it's not a circlejerk, it's a MAS. MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY! :nana:

fyrstormer

Banned
I've owned a few. I ended up selling all of them. They just didn't offer me any features I couldn't get from customs, and some of the higher-end Asian manufacturers offer even better features. That, combined with the restrictions on the batteries that can be used, means I never really appreciated them.

If I'd discovered them back in 2000, maybe I'd have a different opinion.

iammiah

Newly Enlightened
Two. A C3 Centurion, which was purchased quite awhile back (Luxeon III era), and has remained more or less unscathed, and a L6 which I picked up in January this year for a pretty good price.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I only own "old school" SF for its modularity. I have interest in some of their latest LED models but can't justify the cost out of fear that within few years these LEDs will be "obsolete" in run time and efficiency; especially, when the torch market has been flooded with great brands that produce quality products for cheaper cost and more flexibility in battery options. Currently I rely on Malkoff upgrades for my SF C2 and Z2 bodies.
I wish SF would come up with an amazing design for their LED lights where they can be universally upgraded with newer LEDs. But that's difficult with LEDs requiring specific reflectors.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish SF would come up with an amazing design for their LED lights where they can be universally upgraded with newer LEDs. But that's difficult with LEDs requiring specific reflectors.

They did, with the P-series-compatible lights. I just wish SF hadn't gotten away from the modular approach. Even the 2004 catalog has pages devoted to "unlike other manufacturers, Surefire lets you assemble your light just the way you want it." I wonder if the marketing or engineering director behind that was replaced along the line.

huntz362

Newly Enlightened
Nope, I sure haven't. But I'm finding more interest in high dollar flashlights. First my addiction started with guns. Then it went to spyderco and benchmade knives, now it's going to be surefire flashlights.... I have an expensive taste.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
They did, with the P-series-compatible lights. I just wish SF hadn't gotten away from the modular approach. Even the 2004 catalog has pages devoted to "unlike other manufacturers, Surefire lets you assemble your light just the way you want it." I wonder if the marketing or engineering director behind that was replaced along the line.
I don't know what their P series LED modules are like today, but they have not impressed me in the passed. I would want to see modular LED platform using their TIR optics heads.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what their P series LED modules are like today, but they have not impressed me in the passed. I would want to see modular LED platform using their TIR optics heads.

Their P60 LED modules are pretty bad in my experience. The lights that take them are great, though, and I wish they'd kept developing the interchangeable parts and heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.