HDS 2700k High CRI interest thread

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, here are my best efforts at realistic color temperature comparisons (hard to capture what I see, but these are close..):
first pair on left are triple led lights, the middle N219b is slightly more pink in real life:
in the next photo are single LED lights (the 219b below is correctly showing less pink than the above example):
next below, a photo that turned out really really well, very close to what I see with my eyes, single Leds using a Fenix E01 (notoriously blue)
the goal of this post is to give a reasonable impression of the sm303 3000k 219cI hope it helps people visualize the relative color differences between the temperatures..

I look forward to your impressions of the sm273, I was reluctant to try the D220 sm273 fearing it will be greener and or yellower than the D200 sm303

I also got a couple of sm305 and one if them IS slightly more pink than the other.. all relative of course
good luck with your tint lottery :)

enjoy your FlashyWeekend!

note on photo technique
Im using an iPhone 5, nothing special, it has auto white balance. That is why I include a cool white light in the pics.. it brings all the colors into correct range, like what I see. Try it!:)
oh, the white "walls" is just a piece of folded printer paper.. works great
show me more photos!:)

I always take beam tint photos with a grain of salt and at best only look on them as a rough guide, too many variables and so. I have the gear and know how to take valuable photos but basically couldn't be assed so on that note I'm not much help until and if I ever bother to take and post photos.
Regarding the sm273 and 303 what I'm hoping for won't have greens or yellows, very undesirable obviously, but I don't want pink either as much as I rate it in a good 4500K High CRI. What I'm after is a golden orange with as smooth range as possible. I guess that's the goal with this light, a nice toasty campfire warm.
I only have a couple of each LED coming so I won't be able to sample too much, I actually would like to just make an emotional guess and put one in and be done with it although I will probably reflow one of each on to a 20mm star and compare them side by side before choosing which one to reflow on to the HDS PCB.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bet is the sm273 will be yellower than the sm303
I hope you find otherwise
and or, I realize that at the end of the day the yellowness of a tint can be secondary to the warmth of the color temperature

and I respect you don't want to post pics, even though you know how.. I probably have more time than you do, to be entertaining myself posting pics

enjoy the reflows, I look forward to your observations..

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bet is the sm273 will be yellower than the sm303
I hope you find otherwise
and or, I realize that at the end of the day the yellowness of a tint can be secondary to the warmth of the color temperature

and I respect you don't want to post pics, even though you know how.. I probably have more time than you do, to be entertaining myself posting pics

enjoy the reflows, I look forward to your observations..

I think yellow to an extent will be hard to get away from with these colour temps in an LED.
No dramas about pics in forums, everyone loves pics in forums, that's what keeps the interest and enabling flowing.
I'm usually sporadic in my CPF usage and when I do have time it's on my phone or tablet.

terjee

Enlightened
Just a quick reminder when talking about tint; human vision will correct for color temperature in much the same way a digital camera does. A tint that might look "too yellow" when you're viewing it next to a very cool light, or overhead CFL, might look perfectly natural if it's the only light source in the room.

For me, this means what tint I prefer depends significantly on how I'll use it. I wouldn't want a too yellow light if I went camping where others were using too powerful cool lights, but I might love the same light if it's the only light I see when walking around the house at night.

I really appreciate these color temperature comparison pictures, and I really appreciate the effort whenever I see them, but keep in mind they only tell part of the story.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick reminder when talking about tint; human vision will correct for color temperature in much the same way a digital camera does. A tint that might look "too yellow" when you're viewing it next to a very cool light, or overhead CFL, might look perfectly natural if it's the only light source in the room.

For me, this means what tint I prefer depends significantly on how I'll use it. I wouldn't want a too yellow light if I went camping where others were using too powerful cool lights, but I might love the same light if it's the only light I see when walking around the house at night.

I really appreciate these color temperature comparison pictures, and I really appreciate the effort whenever I see them, but keep in mind they only tell part of the story.

Oh no, don't start this again.
This has been flogged to death in the HDS forum so I'm not about to start by telling you where you're right and where you're wrong or where I agree or disagree.
Lets just assume that the majority of people understand well enough about colour temp, tint and CRI. Particularly those who already have a preference for high CRI.
Scan back a few pages in the HDS forum if you've got time for mass amounts of info and debate on the subject.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with everything you said above, well put

after accounting for all the details you mention, there still remains significant specific differences in the amount of green, yellow, pink, in any given color temperature

for example, Imo, the N219c 3000k is a MUCH better tint, to me, than the XPL in this pic, which is also 90CRI.. I also really enjoy this 3000k XPG, but its CRI is about 83, and its not as bright as the others
36277921954_e01a0ea490_b.jpg

bottom line is Im a tint snob, and even though I Can use that XPL, now that I Can use the 219c, I prefer it

Imo this discussion IS very on topic here, and Im glad my photos are helping some people see what Im talking about

for those that may find my passion and zeal for photos too dramatic, just ignore me :)

bottom line is I do still believe the sm303 is a great 3000k LED option. I really like the Tint!

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go.
I'm staying out of it as all that can be has already been. Was that an invitation to ignore you? I feel special ha ha.
I think I'm actually looking forward to jon buying a HDS more than he is.
This is a light that I can say my eyes will never adjust to. It will always appear warm regardless of what other light sources may be around or not etc etc.
This is the campfire light for drinking rum out of skulls.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a light that I can say my eyes will never adjust to. It will always appear warm regardless of what other light sources may be around or not etc etc.
This is the campfire light for drinking rum out of skulls.

im thinking that's the whole point to this light. Something akin to the hyper red... but for rum drinking rather than advertising I'm available to make extra cash by putting it in my front window... well, that's how I use my hyper red anyway. Others may use it differently.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitively didn't mean to start anything.

This being CPF, I assumed the topic had been covered extensively elsewhere, but I wasn't actually aware it was covered recently.

You had to be there.
But seriously, don't mind me as you're well within your rights to express whatever you wish.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking that's the whole point to this light. Something akin to the hyper red... but for rum drinking rather than advertising I'm available to make extra cash by putting it in my front window... well, that's how I use my hyper red anyway. Others may use it differently.

Exactly the point indeed.
Also when you put things the way you do I can't help but love the sentiment.
Sounds like owning a Hyper Red can be a pain in the ***. I haven't had to use mine for a while.... thank goodness.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be able to convince Henry to do a both in one run, so like 12 of the 2700 and 12 of the 3000. This will have to be after the second run of High Noon lights ship in December, so there is plenty of time to consider this as long as the leds remain available.
In case a run with 12 of the 2700 and 12 of the 3000 lights will be done, I would take one of each version :D

terjee

Enlightened
If either of these happen, it'll be my first HDS, so I'd probably stick to just one.

If I like it as much as I think I will, and both versions are made, I'll probably be interested in the other as well. I realize it might be gone by then, but it does offer some fractional protection against anyone getting stuck with inventory.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
If either of these happen, it'll be my first HDS, so I'd probably stick to just one.

If I like it as much as I think I will, and both versions are made, I'll probably be interested in the other as well. I realize it might be gone by then, but it does offer some fractional protection against anyone getting stuck with inventory.

HDS are an amazing little light so I'm sure you'll be very happy whatever the choice.
For my taste if only sticking to one I'd go the standard 4000K high CRI or the High Noon group buy to keep in the more general use neutral range. If I were to go only one and it was to be warm I'd go the 3000K to keep it a bit more general.
However, I have several HDS lights and the one destined for this mod will likely use the 2700K as I have both LEDs on order (2700 and 3000K).
I'm going for the full compliment of high CRI from warm to cool as possible.
Hogo's group buys make an already excellent light that bit more interesting.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going for the full compliment of high CRI from warm to cool as possible.
me too :)
And I agree that IF I could only have One EDC, it would be a 4000k N219b. (As in the HDS HighCRI Rotary)
But I BEDC (BagEDC) more than one Color Temperature..:)

Ive been using the 3000k High CRI LED for a couple of weeks as PEDC (PocketEDC). Im really enjoying it. Works great in the dark hours, and I really enjoy it when camping.

My 6000k LEDs are XPG2 Low CRI (as in the HDS 250).. Im planning to replace them with a 5700k High CRI (As in the HDS High Noon) to round out a full High CRI series, plus a backup set :)

Im looking forward to seeing side by side beam color comparisons for the 2700 and 3000k options this thread is about.

here is a photo from Clemence, the pic is a link.. the LED on the right is equivalent to what Hogo chose for the HDS 3oClock High

Im hoping to see a photo that puts the 3000k inbetween those two..

fwiw, the sm273 and the sm303 are only 300k apart. I would pick the one with the least Yellow Tint. I Love the Orange aspect.

Note that when a photo like the one above is posted, it shows how warm the 2700k is, but this is only relative to the cooler light. In actual use in fully dark adapted conditions, my 3000k LEDs do not look as warm as the photo. (as long as I don't turn on a cooler light at the same time)

Photos are just a frame of reference. I have to personally know at least one of the lights in the photo, to be able to make use of a comparison to something I don't have (yet). Thats why I want to see an sm273 that I don't have, in the same frame as an sm303, that I have been using.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pic Jon, certainly shows how orange/warm the 273 looks next to the 503 when the balance is set for the 5000K LED. A High Ember indeed.
There's a nice pic he did of modded E05's ranging from stock, 273 to 573 with all temps in the middle. It shows a nice warmer step between the 273 and 303.
I'm still waiting on a batch of 273 and 303 but I'm already pretty well set on the 273 for the full ember look.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a nice pic he did... It shows a nice warmer step between the 273 and 303.
...I'm already pretty well set on the 273 for the full ember look.

Im also getting a 2700, I think it is a great choice for sub lumen levels in particular

here is the pic you refer to, I added reference marks for the recent HogoHDS LEDs
36827622235_a51c026e9c_c.jpg

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
url
Im also getting a 2700, I think it is a great choice for sub lumen levels in particular

here is the pic you refer to, I added reference marks for the recent HogoHDS LEDs

Nice.

The photo I was thinking of is where the lights are tail standing in a row against a wall and the beam projects up onto it.

Z

Last edited:

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
OK-

I

Am

(drum roll please....)

IN!!!

:D

probably 2700 if I have a choice.
Go warm or go home!