HDS and McGizmo

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these ideas too but you're all missing one thing- that extra conductor Henry has to run through the wall of his lights for the tail e-clicky to do what it does. It's definitely not a simple drop-in job to put that in a Haiku body with it's mechanical tail. But if you could get those two to come together and make that happen I'd sell whatever I had to to fund one.

I hadn't overlooked that. Be nice if it could be made to function on the clicky.
I'll hazard a guess and say you could make it happen if you sold whatever you have ha ha.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys gotta think big picture. This isn't about taking two excellent lights and Frankensteining them together into some hybrid, they're both amazing as they are with no need to change. This is about having Henry and Don sit down for a lunch and designing a new light, from the ground up, together, using both of their distinct and impressive knowledge bases, wisdom, experiences and unique styles.

nbp

Flashaholic
I wonder why the HIVE never took off. That gave the option of a programmable McGizmo that we had wanted but it seemed like many people still stuck with the 3S LEs. I'm not throwing stones, I didn't buy one either even though I've had a number of McGs I could have put one in. For me, the programming looked quite complicated and scared me off. But for those who want a programmable Haiku there is A stock option available.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The UI of the HiVe is not immediately intuitive ... but once you "get" it, programming is no problem.

In fact, I actually find it easier to program the more complicated options on the HiVe than on the HDS :shrug:

For me, for both of them, I need to have the flowchart available to follow exactly.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why the HIVE never took off. That gave the option of a programmable McGizmo that we had wanted but it seemed like many people still stuck with the 3S LEs. I'm not throwing stones, I didn't buy one either even though I've had a number of McGs I could have put one in. For me, the programming looked quite complicated and scared me off. But for those who want a programmable Haiku there is A stock option available.

HIVE Programming was designed by engineer that never saw a flashlight. I know this because of the way it is.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was an early adopter and while I find the programming a little unintuitive I still managed to get straight into it. My biggest issue with the Hive is that it just isn't that good and has some shortcomings that bothered me and that for a programmable drive is just basically very lacking say compared to the H17F.
The 3S on the other hand just plain works and works well. I wouldn't choose a Hive again.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys gotta think big picture. This isn't about taking two excellent lights and Frankensteining them together into some hybrid, they're both amazing as they are with no need to change. This is about having Henry and Don sit down for a lunch and designing a new light, from the ground up, together, using both of their distinct and impressive knowledge bases, wisdom, experiences and unique styles.

I think we did encompass that idea and more.
The thing is whenever this comes up, as it has again now, it's usually along the lines of imagine a Mcgizmo designed body with HDS guts.
I can't really see them collaborating on a design but what I'm getting is that you (others) would like a Mcgizmo inspired titanium light with HDS electronics. Who knows what they'd create? Perhaps it would be a more HDS inspired aluminium body etc etc?
These guys created great designs and implementations of the electronics in their own unique ways as one man design teams from what I understand?

ven

Flashaholic
The Haiku clip is awesome, definitely. The whole design is mad scientist level unreal.
When I think about it, out of every small light I've come across the 123 sized Haiku and HDS clicky are in a league of their own when it comes to hand feel/handling.

Agree 100% there, haiku and HDS are amazing little lights.

Old pic i took messing about, hybrid
PsEIO9ll.jpg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI of the HiVe is not immediately intuitive ... but once you "get" it, programming is no problem.

In fact, I actually find it easier to program the more complicated options on the HiVe than on the HDS :shrug:

For me, for both of them, I need to have the flowchart available to follow exactly.

I think this highlights again how good Dr Jones (H17F etc) is. While you may need a flow chart once again for the initial programming after that you're changing mode groups, checking battery status and so on with a few simple and easy to remember half button presses.
This UI/driver design is quite possibly about as good as it gets currently.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we did encompass that idea and more.
The thing is whenever this comes up, as it has again now, it's usually along the lines of imagine a Mcgizmo designed body with HDS guts.
I can't really see them collaborating on a design but what I'm getting is that you (others) would like a Mcgizmo inspired titanium light with HDS electronics. Who knows what they'd create? Perhaps it would be a more HDS inspired aluminium body etc etc?

That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not so bold as to speculate what they'd come up with but I'd love for them to work together and come up with something. Here's an example of a collab from the knife world where you see elements of two different custom makers that collaborated:

Sinkevich Custom:
141d1abc753f597130bf6f59462c4a0a.jpg

Rexford Custom
www.customknife.ru_dsc_1632.jpg

Here's the custom collaboration between the two where you see a unique knife from the ground up that features elements of both of their styles:
unnamed.jpg

And as a Bonus, here's the production version of the collab:
ZT0850n.jpg

Resulted in probably one of ZT's best knives to date

I'm aware this pipe dream will probably never happen but a man can dream

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think this highlights again how good Dr Jones (H17F etc) is. While you may need a flow chart once again for the initial programming after that you're changing mode groups, checking battery status and so on with a few simple and easy to remember half button presses.
This UI/driver design is quite possibly about as good as it gets currently.

I can't run through all of the relevant common options on DrJones H17F without a flowchart ... but I can on ToyKeeper Emisar ( does this have its own driver name, by the way? )

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The firmware is called NarsilM. NarsilM is a bit of a cutdown version of full Narsil that is current found by flashing yourself or available on the BLF Q8, and the upcoming BLF GT.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The firmware is called NarsilM. NarsilM is a bit of a cutdown version of full Narsil that is current found by flashing yourself or available on the BLF Q8, and the upcoming BLF GT.
I couldn't remember the difference between Narsil and NarsilM, thank you.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting concept, OP. It seems unlikely that the spending bill would pass the Wife Congress, but I'm sure I would look at the pretty pictures.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If something like this were to ever happen, it would likely be in development for years and cost a big bucket of money.