HDS around the World (PICS)

ncgrass

Enlightened
^^^ what bykfixer said.

Just got my first HDS a couple of months ago. Bought second hand in basically as new condition. Immediately became daily carry and used constantly.

Thanks for that informative and well written history lesson. Always good to know where it came from. Cheers!

Lithium466

Enlightened
Thank you for the story Hondo. I see you forgot the Arc part of this story, I would very much hear that part ;)
Cheers!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooh, good catch Lithium, I said I kept going back to add details, but Arc is really relevant to the HDS story.

Between the solo project of the Action Light and the first EDC series, Henry had teamed up with Peter Gransee, owner of Arc Flashlight, LLC in 2001. While the greatest volume of Arc's were the later AAA twisty lights, the project that existed only because of Henry's presence, was the LS series, and finally the Arc4/Arc4+ before Arc folded (for the first time) in 2004. Peter resurrected the company as MTD LLC, and focused on the fixed level, AAA keychain lights, and only went out of business earlier this year (2016). But back to Henry - he invented the first programmable LED flashlight in the Arc LS (Luxeon Star, the state of the art LED back then). So while the current generation lights represent an evolution that resolves (mostly brutal durability) shortcomings of the original EDC's and Novatac lights, the original Basic/Ultimate EDC was likewise a massive upgrade (more functional and reliability than just durability) from the Arc series.

I updated the above manifesto with the Henry-centric portion of this important step in the birth of the HDS flashlight.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Nice, thank you :)
Let's forget the ugliness of the parting between Henry and Peter, time has passed and it has never been worth it.

scout24

Flashaholic
HDS 200lm HCRI Rotary in Rothrock State Forest, Huntingdon County, Pa. Opening day of rifle season for deer. Came in handy for bringing in firewood at camp, midnight latrine runs, and the long walk in to stand in the morning.

20161128_084029.jpg

Lithium466

Enlightened
Nice light. Did you bore the reflector, or are you just using thicker o-rings?
Be careful not to drop it in a pit of stinking cheese :D

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HCri200 Rotary hanging out in the Bahamas several months ago.

fGQ565Y.jpg

And I did replace the original front o-ring with something a bit thicker to accommodate the clip. It doesn't affect the beam when installed on this "side" of the reflector, but it did make my lens slightly loose due to the extra space. Easy to fix with an o-ring swap.

nbp

Flashaholic
@emarkd - is it a camera angle thing or do you have enormous hands? Haha. I consider HDS to be pretty big for a 1x123 and it looks small in your mitt!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I think it's mostly a perspective trick, although I'm definitely not a small person.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my recently acquired (thanks Rstype!) HCRI Rotary 140 3000K XP-G2, keeping it warm in front of The Alamo.
c2baf6e1be3e5f5907af9ec60323763f.jpg

7aa3217f2e7ec525a077dfd8b2d7c806.jpg

Last edited: