HDS Design... My observations

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Clicky guy. Don't care for Rotary. I find it easier to hit a preset level. Also, I quit buying lights that weren't high CRI about 10 years ago.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and I'm a Rotary guy because I don't care in the least to know the exact "mode" I'm in. Click the switch - rotate 'til bright enough - get crap done. Can't get much simpler.

To bring this back closer to the topic, I'm not sure if I would've ever bought an HDS if Henry hadn't developed the Rotary UI. It's that design that sold me, and continues selling me. It's the best UI on a flashlight out there, bar none.

PS: I'm glad the Clicky exists for you Clicky guys though. Choice is a good thing; use what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jarobi

Enlightened
The pride HDS take in the design and build of their lights is the cherry-on-top intangible which gives them the extreme value they have. I had a Basic 42 returned to me beat all to snot, it still works. The rotary, honestly, is on another level.

Handmade leather goods and PNW boots such as Nick's and White's come to mind to compare mindsets.

Anecdote ain't science, all the above is IMHO.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see what you did, Hogo. I'm reading this thread all misty-eyed about HDS pride and now I'm looking at the custom build page wondering which emitter would best compliment my current collection. :caution:

I may carry a brighter light with me when I intentionally go into the darkness, but an HDS (or two) will always be on my person. My wife teases me, rightfully perhaps, because I won't go from the bedroom to the living room without at least one HDS.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just still get surprised sometimes by Henry... the things I would never have thought about, he obsesses over (this is a good thing). He was actually dissecting the tiny electronic switches... a bunch of them. He has the specs and drawings for them, but still wants to see for himself and evaluate it. It is definitely one of the reasons things move a bit slowly at HDS.

Even when I suggest a "new" emitter, it ends up several hours pouring over the manufacturers website, looking for the exact bin code, then searching for someone who has that exact bin code (if the emitter looks promising), and then more often than not, the bin code we want, doesn't actually exist (sure, it's on the manufacturers website, but that doesn't mean that bin code is actually made... frustrating as hell).

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is a way to further simplify or reduce the amount of electronic parts inside. Also is there anything inside that can fail / disintegrate after 10 or 20 years (even when not used)? Capacitors used to fail after 10-15 years, but I am not sure if there are any inside HDS (probably no) and if that's still an issue. A lot of the plastic parts tend to get more brittle by time. Probably same for rubber gaskets .. On the other hand, I don't need a flashlight to last a lifetime, but knowing it will turn on after 10 or 20 years is nice...

Are you planning on putting it in a time capsule? Throw in a combat commander or an uzi while you're at it. They'll still be working when you dig it up. My ra clicky sat for almost 10 years. When i used it again I didn't even change the orings