HDS keychain: clicky or twisty?

Would you prefer the HDS keychain to be a Clicky or a Twisty?

• Clicky

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Twisty

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I d have a twisty.... if it compared to or was better than the Aeon Mk 1 2 stage (the thrower) as opposed to the floody Aeon Mk 2 3 stage I d be all up for one.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be ok with either option but if it's a clicky...no raised button.

For those that commented that they cant use a aaa twisty as the maratac...you must have issues. My maratac aaa twisty is a piece of cake to use with 1 hand. I just don't like the mode arrangement of it.

I also have a fenix anniversary aaa twisty and is a breeze as well.

Knowing this would be an hds, we know it will be great

schalken

Newly Enlightened
For those that commented that they cant use a aaa twisty as the maratac...you must have issues. My maratac aaa twisty is a piece of cake to use with 1 hand. I just don't like the mode arrangement of it.

My Maratec AAA's head is so hard to turn that it has made me wary of buying any more twisty lights. I gather that really, really gritty threads are a known issue with the titanium Maratec AAAs.

At any rate, I am sure any HDS light will be free of this particular defect!

moltenmag

Enlightened
If it's anything like my Aeon mkii then I'd be up for it. It would be neat to have the option in battery tubes for a Clicky (primary edc light) or twisty (secondary edc light)... there certainly is a lack of keychain edc lights that are built as tough as an HDS...

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
moltenmag- I agree the Aeon MKii was a great design, I would prefer something like the Nautilus, which is the same exact idea and design, just sized up enough to fit a 123A or 16340.

THE_day- Also agree with you on something somewhat similar to the T1A titan using the rotary dial or something similar to...

I feel something similar to the Nautilus or Aeon is much easier to design and by nature simpler designs are less prone to failure.

Something similar to the Atom series from FourSevens would be perfect in my opinion. A mule design keeps things extraordinarily compact. My CPF 15th anniversary Atoms are literally barely bigger than the AAA cell. So small, they are actually smaller than the AAA spare carrier from countycomm. So you can literally use the Atom as a spare cell carrier for say, a Prometheus Beta, and in case you have a friend who needs light too, or the Beta is lost/ damaged/fails, the Atom you're using as a spare carrier can also act as a backup light.

That's why I feel if HDS designs a keychain light, it should use a 123A/16340. That way the keychain light doubles as a carrier for a spare battery in your main light, the full sized HDS. If the full sized HDS is not with you/lost/fails/is being used by someone else, the keychain light is a backup light.

Last edited:

HighLumens

Enlightened
I look at a keychain light simply as a backup or emergency light, not as a primary. It has to sit there for a year not used, but has to work when I need it, therefore, the twisty.
My keychain...
Yep, only 1 key on it.

img-1438.jpg

May I ask you what you use those metal containers for?

Back on topic, the idea of having both tails available (twisty and clicky) is cool, please keep it in mind for the (i guess quite far) future products.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask you what you use those metal containers for?

Back on topic, the idea of having both tails available (twisty and clicky) is cool, please keep it in mind for the (i guess quite far) future products.

The larger one has ibuprofen, one of the smaller ones has allergy medication, and the second smaller one is actually a lighter.

moltenmag

Enlightened
moltenmag- I agree the Aeon MKii was a great design, I would prefer something like the Nautilus, which is the same exact idea and design, just sized up enough to fit a 123A or 16340.

I feel something similar to the Nautilus or Aeon is much easier to design and by nature simpler designs are less prone to failure.

Totally agree. The simpler the design... the more robust. But you know Henry will add his programming flair somewhere in the design 🤙

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Totally agree. The simpler the design... the more robust. But you know Henry will add his programming flair somewhere in the design 🤙
I want a twisty Just as long as it's easier to program then the old twisty. 🤬🤬🤬

GoVegan

Enlightened
I voted twisty. As for me HDS is all about reliability. I'd prefer 1xAAA to keep it small. Two mode, low/high, 10/100 lumens, no stepdown, potted head, IPX-8. Standard model with a Cree XP-G2, but a custom option with a choice of emitter for those that care (not me as I prefer efficiency).
10 lumens first so that it is about the same as the first mode (9.5 lumens) on the HDS EDC, as I agree with Henry's original design that this is "[9 lumens] a medium brightness for most tasks (provides exceptionally long run times), to a blinding tactical brightness for emergencies".

A couple of years ago I previously mentioned that Henry previously said to me that if he was to ever make a keychain light he'd do an AA one, twisty with high/low AFAIR, that takes 14500 and can also use standard AA in an emergency for when you're in the middle of Africa of wherever.

However, I personally I like Henry's explanation in his FAQ for "How can I see further?", and how using low mode first as to not ruin your night adapted eyes:
"With the dim light in the second scenario, it is easy to build your dark adaptation, which counts as several additional brightness levels when you turn on the maximum output."

Msf

Enlightened
Clicky as long as it has a lockout and same programmability as the current HDS lights. I need it come on at the desired level every time without twist, twist again, maybe even again to get what output is needed. That's the beauty of the current HDS lights.

GoVegan

Enlightened
OK, the next person that speaks to Henry, please ask where he's at with the keychain light.

Hogo I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say we nominate you to do the asking, beg if you have to, just don't take nothing for an answer.

[Edited to remove text which I just realized I had already stated above].

Last edited: