HDS Systems #23

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
LOL I understand that the colored finish wears fairly easily so I just can't bring myself to take it out of the bag. I remember other colored finishes since then: red, FDE, blue, forest green maybe? I'm not the only one with a Cerakote HDS in the safe.
That's why I hate anything cerakote it just doesn't last. Had a knife years ago with it … got destroyed in no time! Sure does look nice tho… and I suppose you can always send it to a cerakote place to get it redone in the future.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That's why I hate anything cerakote it just doesn't last. Had a knife years ago with it … got destroyed in no time! Sure does look nice tho… and I suppose you can always send it to a cerakote place to get it redone in the future.
I was surprised when all the cerakote on the corners started coming off my orange Clicky, but it still looked great and I'd probably still have it if another member hadn't come asking about it and making offers. Really great looking light, but the plain metal ones are the best if someone doesn't want the color to start wearing off their lights.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ceracote looks great. But for me the Problem is that cerakote wears out kind of fast and Looks than ugly. Btw. the orange Clicky looks really cool!

My creakote Surefire Z2 are due to the cerakote wear out problen only shelf queens:

From left to right: Oveready Camo, Oveready GITD white, Schoolbus Yellow, Orange, Burnt Bronze, Bronze Rotary

Today I would not buy a cerakote light again. All of my cerakote lights are done perfectly, but if you would like to have a nice looking cerakote light, you can not use it... But I still like my Z2 collection, therefore I still have it.

Kalsu

Enlightened
I'm in the process of getting the "High Noon II" released. Give me a week or so. One of my weeks... not Henry's... at least that is what I'm shooting for.
The High Noon has been my favorite emitter and is what Henry carries. The High Noon II should be even better.
Hopefully I can get this to happen soon.
No. I won't give any more details until the release.
Anxiously waiting....:)

stf

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Strange behavior of my new Executive (software version 2.19): the power level of the locator beacon strongly varies with time, on an hour time scale, and may eventually get so dim that it becomes quite difficult to see, even in the dark, very much lower than .02 lm (level 1). Also confirmed by comparison with my other clicky ;o). The other features of the light seem perfectly OK as far as I can tell, so not a serious issue.

Did anyone notice something similar recently ?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I would give an update on the High Noon II.
When testing the emitters (519a), the temperature was much lower than 5700. Right around 5000-5200k. The CRI was incredible... 97 at 200 lumens and went up as the lumens went down. Also the kelvin temp went down about 200 as the power decreased, which was interesting, and kind of nice. They are hitting just below the black body radiator.
We are going to test some from another real to see if Nichia simply mislabeled this particular real or if all of their 5700 are actually about 500-700k lower... which would be odd but I'm getting used to this sort of thing.
So, I guess these would be the 3 O'Clock High II.
Still only 200 lumens which was expected from the data sheet from Nichia.
Nothing will happen until we test some others from another real and see if they are closer to 5700k.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
519a ~5000K is in my T3 Convoy, this is really the nicest shade I've seen in high CRI, but Convoy has more variation from instance to instance. I hope that among the subjects there will be 6500K with the same high CRI, it would be generally cool. If they could make a mistake and underestimate the temperature, then maybe they could make a mistake and overestimate the temperature?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
ime, it is not related to which reel the LEDs come from, nor does it matter whether they came from Convoy or Eurekatronix, or Andy Zhu…
most people report about 5200K for the 5700K model
Nichia is usually better about being close on their spec sheets. 500k off is not a little amount especially when they bin a 5000k which the 5700 is closer to. Couldn't tell a difference between the 5000k and 5700k on the integrating sphere and that isn't right. There will always be variation in bins, but these should have been binned at 5000k, NOT 5700. If the ones from a different real test the same, then it is just another reason to not trust the spec sheets... which often tend to be more wishful thinking than actual fact.
I don't care what other people report (the net is full of more fake news than the actual news is) as most are not using an integrating sphere to test them.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the second HDS. This time, I decided on NB27, which is a light bulb color. Last time, the first HDS was NB45, so this time I wanted the one with the lowest color temperature. The light bulb man did not hesitate while showing excitement with the topic High Noon II.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Will the 519a models calibrated for 200 lumens have longer average runtime than the 219b models calibrated at the same output?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right from Nichia's Data Sheet. The 5700k should NOT be hitting right smack in the middle of 5000k especially with the narrow bin we have. Nichia is either playing silly buggers or figured that since most flashlight manufacturers lie about everything, they might as well join the bandwagon. It isn't how we do things here. It is why we spent tens of thousands of dollars on an integrating sphere rather than $50 on some light meter or better yet, some phone app.
We expect our customers to actually KNOW what they are getting and not give them some regurgitated info from a data sheet... which is often wrong.
Yes, data sheets **** me off when they are inaccurate... so in general, they mostly **** me off, but Nichia's have not been this bad in the past regarding Kelvin temp... which makes me think they mislabeled the real.
It isn't that they are bad emitters. Far from it. The 5000k is very nice in my opinion, and I will be putting some in a few lights for myself to play with, but they are NOT 5700k.
It is a little like getting a Snicker's candy bar in Japan. You fire into it expecting a good ol' USA type Snicker's only to find it has about half the sugar... not what one is expecting... and at first, a bit disappointing, but one may find they like it better over time... we shall see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 9.33.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 9.33.02 AM.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts