HDS Systems #23

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most interesting was testing how long an HDS would run with the beacon activated. As I recall, it went for several years.
Yep that was an older HDS with < 100lm and it was ~3.5 years if I remember correctly. Unfortunateld this thread was in CPFMP, and it is gone forever.... The elf in this particular HDS lights was totally on dope. The current HDS will not reach this runtime at all...

mcsquare

Newly Enlightened
Yep that was an older HDS with < 100lm and it was ~3.5 years if I remember correctly. Unfortunateld this thread was in CPFMP, and it is gone forever.... The elf in this particular HDS lights was totally on dope. The current HDS will not reach this runtime at all...

I in fact have an experiment in the running which can shed light on this matter, and there's almost enough data to draw a believable conclusion. Stay tuned!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Do you think the interest in runtime tests is/was higher among people who use(d) primary batteries?

Very possibly so.

My own personal interest was more from an electronics efficiency standpoint, and disaster management scenarios, than "cost of batteries" issue however.

scout24

Flashaholic
^^^ This. Disaster Management. Hence storing lithium primaries with known qualities. RCR's are nice for day to day, but I want to know exactly (ish) what I have to look forward to as far as runtime in an emergency scenario.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
One thing that sucks about FL1 is it communicates nothing about step down. A "1000 lumen light" can step down to 110 lumens and stay there after 2 minutes of operation, and the FL1 rating will say 1000 lumens for 2 hours because it takes that long to dip below 100 lumens.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that sucks about FL1 is it communicates nothing about step down.

true
I look for runtime charts like this one from maukka:
5pJRorr.png

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime of the lighthouse are quite interesting, but it is of little use for movement, although for the sake of interest I climbed into a dark basement and tried to walk on it, using only the lighthouse, this lengthens the time by 3-4 times, i.e. you need several flashes to remember what is around and do 1-2 steps with your feet and remember the path again. But these execution tests are always helpful.

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
The runtime of the lighthouse are quite interesting, but it is of little use for movement, although for the sake of interest I climbed into a dark basement and tried to walk on it, using only the lighthouse, this lengthens the time by 3-4 times, i.e. you need several flashes to remember what is around and do 1-2 steps with your feet and remember the path again. But these execution tests are always helpful.

I'm a bit slow, can somebody translate this comment for me? :)

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea to use the beacon mode to find the way in the darkness.... Maybe I will try it.

Until today I was using one of the lowest levels to find the way in pure darkness, but maybe the beacon is a competition I will accept!?

I always see a HDS has always something that I did not know or at least did not take into account!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "disaster management" angle always makes me laugh, because if you're ever in a situation where your flashlight is your only source of illumination, and you are unable to obtain additional batteries, then you have a much more serious problem on your hands than simply your flashlight's electronic efficiency.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The "disaster management" angle always makes me laugh, because if you're ever in a situation where your flashlight is your only source of illumination, and you are unable to obtain additional batteries, then you have a much more serious problem on your hands than simply your flashlight's electronic efficiency.

Why is having two problems better than one ?