HDS Systems #23

Lithium466

Enlightened
The only problems I've ever had with my HDS was various parasitic drain, with old lights like an Ultimate 60 or a Legacy (these are well known for that, bad capacitor batch). Unfortunately none were deemed repairable and I lost pieces of "HDS history" every time :(
(but got pieces of "modern HDS" instead :D )

Lithium466

Enlightened
Can you believe I don't have any Ultimate/Basic HDS anymore 😱
Surprisingly, the Novatac don't seem affected so far, and I only have Chinese made ones.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I think yours are still made in the USA. Series 1 in Tucson, AZ, and maybe series 2 in California? Not really sure, history was a bit sketchy.
Mine don't even have serial numbers...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not in Kansas anymore.
iu.jpeg

China.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I've always said, if I am going to be tried, it will be so severe they will have to do it with a Hague Tribunal.
In this case, the job was given to a different vendor as our current machinist is still working on battery tubes. The new vendor has had issues, like most vendors. I don't know if it is Covid related or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

There is a lot of crap going on. Microchips backordered until 2023... specifically, the ones we use. We managed to secure enough of those that hopefully it won't be a problem.

We spoke briefly Monday about filling these back orders and closing the doors and working on another project we have been discussing for a few years totally not flashlight related. It is freaking getting stupid just trying to get the parts we need. Covid made it MUCH worse.

Edit. No. We decided to keep pushing forward... at least until I am brought in front of the Hague.
Oh boy, did I pick a bad time to order an amber rotary? Hahah. I promise, I'll be patient!

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good new: We received 3000 reflectors from the new machinist.
The bad news: Every single one is out of spec and can't be used.
<...>
That is bad. That means it takes another 3 month from now.

But the good thing is you can visit the machinist and you take a reflector and throw it to his head and you say "This reflector is not in spec". You can do this 3000x, and I am quite sure after a few tries you will hit his head quite perfect.

Guess that could be fun for you, and even more fun if you make a nice youtube video for all of us. ;)

GoVegan

Enlightened
I hate to point out the obvious here, but without the reflector, there is no way for the bezel to attach to the body.

Also even if there was, the LED is deeply seated and it's position is based on a reflector being required. If used as a mule, then a lot of the lumens would be wasted hitting the inner sides of the bezel.

I guess a HDS mule with no bezel doesn't sound so attractive anymore.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to point out the obvious here, but without the reflector, there is no way for the bezel to attach to the body.

Also even if there was, the LED is deeply seated and it's position is based on a reflector being required. If used as a mule, then a lot of the lumens would be wasted hitting the inner sides of the bezel.

I guess a HDS mule with no bezel doesn't sound so attractive anymore.
You could actually design a bezel that would allow for this. I'll make a rough sketch of my idea and post it. While it won't be a true mule, it would be pretty close.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Like a heavily marbled beef ribeye, both, the body and bezel could be shaved down allowing for a proper mule. However I agree this would take time; the reflectors would come back in stock before this beefy project could come to fruition. :D