HDS Systems #23

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Rayoui
That was also topic of this thread:

But HDS is still up and running. That is the most important point.

Years ago there was if I remember correctly a backorder period of a year or something like that (maybe more it is long time ago ~2012 !?!?). And everyone who ordered a light received the ordered light after everything went back to normal. Therefore there is no reason to fear you will not receive something.

I also have some open orders and I am far away from panic :cool: :eek:

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
Im still waiting for my flashlight order that I made last May. I just checked and I ordered the 18350 battery compartment last November, 2020. I feel like a baptised member of the HDS brotherhood now. 😂

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for the updates. I'm sympathetic to how the pandemic has affected many industries (manufacturing in particular) as I work in the semiconductor industry. However the communication vacuum left me wondering what was going on at HDS until I found this thread.

I would agree. If they aren't busy building lights for lack of parts, there should be plenty of time to answer emails. I remember the days of looong waits for HDS years ago. It was terrible. Then it got wayyyy better and for several years lights and parts have been coming on time and with excellent qualilty, IMO. The strange thing now is not so much that they aren't getting parts but the parts they are getting are crappy and get rejected. It crazy that it is so challenging to maintain relationships with quality machine shops to make the stuff. But as Robot Mania pointed out above, it could be that larger, more powerful companies are sucking up all the resources with the good shops. I dunno.

technotech

Newly Enlightened
@Rayoui
That was also topic of this thread:

But HDS is still up and running. That is the most important point.

Years ago there was if I remember correctly a backorder period of a year or something like that (maybe more it is long time ago ~2012 !?!?). And everyone who ordered a light received the ordered light after everything went back to normal. Therefore there is no reason to fear you will not receive something.

I also have some open orders and I am far away from panic :cool: :eek:
thats good to know

still, a little update about the situation would be helpful for costumers

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 18350/18500, Hogo said they are holding on to them for a couple of months to upgrade them to the improved internals before sending them out.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did spank Henry a week and half ago about e-mails. I do have an HDS email address but it is mostly for using a lot of explicatives on vendors.

The new electronics for the tail are being made, and being made in Tucson... so much less likely they will get lost by UPS, who still hasn't found the first batch of vapor metalized reflectors... last seen somewhere in Phoenix. Only several thousands of dollars there.

The latest fiasco on the heals of the reflectors is the negative nut in the tail. We are not out, but after 3 months of having another machine shop continually fail to make them in spec, we have had to go to another. No, it isn't a complicated part but they can't seem to figure out how to machine it, then hard anodize it, and have it in spec. The shop that did them previously quoted 16x what they had initially done them for... so instead of $2 per part it would be $32! Since this last shop couldn't figure out how to make them in spec and the other wanted to bend us over (and that being bent over would end up getting passed along to... the customer, we are going back to a 3rd shop, which is a one-man operation who does good work, but we already have him making several other parts while at the same time he needs double rotator cuff surgery. Things are rosy.

Manufacturing sucks on toast right now, and the toast is burnt and moldy.

What I have been doing is ordering approximately 3-4 years of parts, though that still isn't a large enough number for a lot a machine shops to give us the time of day... many are looking for orders in the 100,000 part category, and that just isn't conducive to Henry upgrading things like he likes to do.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if you live in one of these states and like spreading freedom seeds quietly around. AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY

Because y'all want more dealings with machine shops?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if you live in one of these states and like spreading freedom seeds quietly around. AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY

Freedom seeds? Dang. I had no idea marijuana was legal now in so many states.

Or is that why you said "quietly?"

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're contemplating the design of a suppressor(s)…

I would love to hear how their design can improve upon a product whose only downfalls yet to be corrected are the excess buildup of carbon and the cracking sound of a supersonic bullet.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I would love to hear how their design can improve upon a product whose only downfalls yet to be corrected are the excess buildup of carbon and the cracking sound of a supersonic bullet.

And the required new barrel, paperwork, fees, etc.

If he thinks there's a new design that bypasses the legal issues... it'll take about 30 seconds for _those_ laws to change.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the required new barrel, paperwork, fees, etc.

If he thinks there's a new design that bypasses the legal issues... it'll take about 30 seconds for _those_ laws to change.

Yep...solvent traps, filters, baffles and anything else you want to call it has been tried already.

I'm assuming they want to manufacturer and sell to a dealer....I shoot PRS when I don't shoot benchrest...the silencer industry is pretty mature.
Wait until they find out the only way to get their product out there in this niche is to give it away to pro shooters for a few years.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast