HDS Systems #23

LRJ88

Enlightened
Now I KNOW you're a pro machinist :)

It's OK, even us sparky guys resort to that sometimes.

If it works when we're finished, the end justifies the means!
Just like grass knowing not to grow after a nuclear winter machines tend to learn to work after you go from the screwdriver and gentle touch to fetch the larger tools.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I know i've read about this here before but i can't find it; does anyone have any idea why it is that some rotary models take a little while to get the LED actually doing its thing on lower levels if the flashlight hasn't been on for a while, even if the beacon is on?

After clicking the button i've noticed a delay between instantly (if the flashlight was just on) to almost a second (after the light not being on for a day) until the light comes on, especially on the lowest level. This is probably normal, but it'd be nice to hear who else has the issue.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I know i've read about this here before but i can't find it; does anyone have any idea why it is that some rotary models take a little while to get the LED actually doing its thing on lower levels if the flashlight hasn't been on for a while, even if the beacon is on?

After clicking the button i've noticed a delay between instantly (if the flashlight was just on) to almost a second (after the light not being on for a day) until the light comes on, especially on the lowest level. This is probably normal, but it'd be nice to hear who else has the issue.
I noticed that too

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo,

What is the longest 16340 that should be used in a rotary with CR123 tube? They seem to vary in length and I wouldn't want to have the springs continually bottomed out or squish the cell.

Thanks.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Hogo,

What is the longest 16340 that should be used in a rotary with CR123 tube? They seem to vary in length and I wouldn't want to have the springs continually bottomed out or squish the cell.

Thanks.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that it's coat weather, I switched from carrying
C28CE668-2EC9-455E-8B6D-C80145CE0DD0.jpeg
the 18500 in a Thors Hammer holster to an angled kydex holster- easier to grab under layers.
Love the length of the 18500 and the added runtime means I don't carry a spare cell unless I have my bag with me.
Still using the NLT- amazingly useful beam.

Of course I will have other lights on or around me, especially at night but the HDS is the one that doesn't get swapped out.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the voltage cut off on the battery protection?
Be aware of a couple Potential Pitfalls of the HDS LiIon LVP system

1. The HDS can override LVP

per the manual:
Caution: your flashlight will eventually turn itself off to preserve what little battery power remains if you continue to use your flashlight after your flashlight begins blinking once a second on the lowest brightness level. You may turn on your flashlight again when needed for a short period. This behavior maintains your options in an emergency.

2. If you remove a LiIon to do a Voltage check (not recommended), and the Voltage is below 3.2V, when you reinstall the depleted LiIon (not recommended), the HDS might think it is a CR123, and will disable LVP.. allowing you to overdischarge the LiIon

per the manual:
Notice: only install fully charged rechargeable batteries. Using a partially charged battery may result in the battery not being properly recognized as a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This can lead to the rechargeable battery being damaged due to over-discharge

I highly recommend you Read the Manual for more complete info. Section 3 goes into detail regarding the battery management system.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. If you remove a LiIon to do a Voltage check (not recommended), and the Voltage is below 3.2V, when you reinstall the depleted LiIon (not recommended), the HDS might think it is a CR123, and will disable LVP.. allowing you to overdischarge the LiIon
Never even thought of that. Thanks for this information

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Be aware of a couple Potential Pitfalls of the HDS LiIon LVP system

1. The HDS can override LVP

per the manual:
Caution: your flashlight will eventually turn itself off to preserve what little battery power remains if you continue to use your flashlight after your flashlight begins blinking once a second on the lowest brightness level. You may turn on your flashlight again when needed for a short period. This behavior maintains your options in an emergency.

per the manual:
Notice: only install fully charged rechargeable batteries. Using a partially charged battery may result in the battery not being properly recognized as a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This can lead to the rechargeable battery being damaged due to over-discharge

I highly recommend you Read the Manual for more complete info. Section 3 goes into detail regarding the battery management system.
Thanks for the info. My understanding is that if you're running a single battery, the only that would happen is I won't be able to recharge the battery, which is expensive. Do I have that right?

I kind of like the ability to get around low voltage protection. I have some other lights that either don't have LVP or allow me to turn it off. My own use case: I tend to top off my batteries and almost never let a rechargeable get close 3 volts. But I like the the idea of being able to kill a battery in exchange for more light, if I should I dunno get lost or get myself in some other jam.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never even thought of that.
not really a problem.. it is not necessary to open an HDS to measure battery voltage, we can just rely on the double blinks described in the manual:

"Your flashlight will double-blink once every two minutes to remind you that the battery needs to be changed when the battery is no longer capable of maintaining a 50 lumen output level."

I kind of like the ability to get around low voltage protection.

for that scenario
what follows is unverified speculation:
(Trust but Verify)

I think the double blinking and 50 lumen limit, starts when the LiIon battery drops below 3.3V..(entering CR123 Voltage range)...

this means that if we intentionally Want to sacrifice the LiIon battery in an emergency, we can disable the LiIon LVP, and the 50 lumen limit, when the double blinks start.

By doing a battery detect reset: (unscrew the body while the light is on, then screw it back together with the depleted LiIon still inside)

per the manual:
"The simplest way to perform a reset is to turn on your flashlight (with the button released) and open the battery compartment until your flashlight turns off and then replace the battery compartment. "

The light would then think the depleted LiIon is a fresh CR123.

That means the output limit would go back up to maximum, and the double blinks, and 50 lumen limit, and the LiIon LVP would all be disabled.

end unverified speculation ;-)

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
not really a problem.. it is not necessary to open an HDS to measure battery voltage, we can just rely on the double blinks described in the manual:

"Your flashlight will double-blink once every two minutes to remind you that the battery needs to be changed when the battery is no longer capable of maintaining a 50 lumen output level."

for that scenario
what follows is unverified speculation:
(Trust but Verify)

I think the double blinking and 50 lumen limit, starts when the LiIon battery drops below 3.3V..(entering CR123 Voltage range)...

this means that if we intentionally Want to sacrifice the LiIon battery in an emergency, we can disable the LiIon LVP, and the 50 lumen limit, when the double blinks start.

By doing a battery detect reset: (unscrew the body while the light is on, then screw it back together with the depleted LiIon still inside)

per the manual:
"The simplest way to perform a reset is to turn on your flashlight (with the button released) and open the battery compartment until your flashlight turns off and then replace the battery compartment. "

The light would then think the depleted LiIon is a fresh CR123.

That means the output limit would go back up to maximum, and the double blinks, and 50 lumen limit, and the LiIon LVP would all be disabled.

end unverified speculation ;-)
This was exactly my speculation.

I don't expect to ever do this, but I'm glad it's there.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it is almost christmas, my HDS christmas wish for this year: :au:

All HDS owners (and all CPF users) happy and peaceful christmas and a happy new year!

(the image is supported by a red, green, amber and blue HDS with diffuser on the tree in the background. Pure AL, Brass, Bronze, BeCu, SS and Titanium Rotary and a Titanium Clicky are in front of the picture)

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have a rotary tactical. When it is turned all the way on high to tactical mode it will blink with a cr123 in it. I am not ready to change that battery yet, it is still pretty bright. Is there a way to stop that from happening though? I think it is lowering the lumens to preserve the battery, but I would rather it just run down and then I can change it.