HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooter21

Enlightened
I'm loosing faith in the HDS lights, my rotary had a defective tail switch and i sent it back for an exchange. the next one better be perfect if not i am going with surefire from now on. ironically all of my chinese lights came in perfect condition.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what voltage the low battery indication starts to kick in when using rechargeables? I'm using a AW R123A cell which has built in protection but it doesn't kick in until 2.45 volts.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another note, I was browsing HDS systems website and noticed that he has 2AA battery tube details and pricing up for the Rotary, anyone know when they will be available???

Hot. I'm glad he decided to offer it again. I guess the only problem for me is that it'll have the new ACME threads which won't work on my 2 older HDS lights.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
I just got the EDC Executive 120 lumen. On the outter ring of the emitter with a white dome/bottom there are two small silver particles imbedded there. They look like the same material as the reflector. What could these be?

I saw the same thing in thread #14, page 9, #259 in the last photo, at the ten o'clock postion (the one on the right with the white dome emitter), although that light has one such imbedded particle.

I don't think that it is affecting the beam at all, but it is an eye-sore.

Your comments.

And can they be removed?

Last edited:

Proflash

Newly Enlightened
I just got the EDC Executive 120 lumen. On the outter ring of the emitter with a white dome/bottom there are two small silver particles imbedded there. They look like the same material as the reflector. What could these be?

I saw the same thing in thread #14, page 9, #259 in the last photo, at the ten o'clock postion (the one on the right with the white dome emitter), although that light has one such imbedded particle.

I don't think that it is affecting the beam at all, but it is an eye-sore.

Your comments.

And can they be removed?

Are the silver bits in question circled in red in the photo below?

silverbits.png

If so, then they are a part of the light, and are supposed to be there. Here's a close up:

insidereflector.png

EDIT: My light is a 170 model, and does not quite match the photo in the previous thread; however, it's possible that the two lights could share the same aspects. The "square" appearance of the silver spot in the other light gives me the impression that it might belong. Maybe someone else with a 120 model can chime in here...

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
I believe that is the reverse-polarity red LED indicator that Henry used to use in the Twisty Low Red 85 models. The lowest output reversed the polarity to take advantage of that extra built-in emitter.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
Proflash:

I need to find a way to magnify those two spots for my own eyes. I had thought that they might be a part of the light. But now that I see your enlarged picture I am 90% certain that is what they are.

How did you take a picture like that?

Thank you much.

bansuri

Enlightened
I'm not Proflash, but I've had good luck putting a loupe up to the lens on my iPhone for quick macro shots.

Proflash

Newly Enlightened
Proflash:

I need to find a way to magnify those two spots for my own eyes. I had thought that they might be a part of the light. But now that I see your enlarged picture I am 90% certain that is what they are.

How did you take a picture like that?

Thank you much.

You are welcome, lovemylexicon. I believe any loupe or magnifying glass should work well for seeing inside of the reflector. I just tried using a loupe to look inside of the reflector on my light, and was able to clearly see the parts at the bottom of the reflector. You may want to make sure that the locator beacon is disabled when doing this (mine happened to be on :eek:oo:).

To take the picture, I used the macro function on my camera and zoomed in on the reflector. Your results may vary depending on your camera/lens.

I'm not Proflash, but I've had good luck putting a loupe up to the lens on my iPhone for quick macro shots.

Great idea, Bansuri; I never would have thought of that. Works great!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Rotary is stiffer when it's cold also. Turns very easy right now though with all the 100+ degree days we've been getting.

This week we are having a heat wave. :)
I still plan on getting to Cary and hanging out. :)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light-Review.com did a review on the Rotary. For the most part it's similar to the review they did for the Ra 140 GDP in may 2009. The review even mentions a misaligned bezel which they previously complained about in the Ra light they tested. Something I thought was interesting was that the run time tests they did showed slightly shorter times with the Rotary despite having a higher output LED. Running at the 13 lumen level the 200 Rotary ran for about an hour less then the 140 Ra. Same with the high setting. They also rate the output higher then HDS, level 24 as being 233 lumens instead of 200 even. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Where are you guys getting those awesome after market clips for the clicky? It's a bit fatter with a few holes in the middle!

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
al93535, it sounds like you're talking about the Oveready clip. I use one on my HDS. They are sold by oveready.com, but I can't find them on the website right now so they may be sold out at the moment.

Paul

OCD

Enlightened
Yes, they are sold out. I emailed then a couple of months ago and they told me they expected to get more in around August.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, nothing but heat and more heat in the forecast. Oh how I long for Fall. I am surely looking forward to the time we can get together Jason.

I was hoping to try and make it this month, but my medical issues are not going to allow it. I want to go by the store you told me about. It might be Autumn before I am able to travel. We'll see. No worries, I have my Rotary, and it is still fantastic! :) My wife said it is time for us to go to Trader Joe's, we might have to meet there, eat at your fancy McDonalds.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you guys getting those awesome after market clips for the clicky? It's a bit fatter with a few holes in the middle!

Moddoo (the creator) used to have a sales thread here for them but I believe since he opened TorchLabs all his products sell through Oveready now.

Status
Not open for further replies.