HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pocket carried my rotary for months and my lens/reflector is clear, except for the dust that keeps accumulating on the lens. I don't think I will ever try to clean a reflector or the inside of a lens again, one bad experience was enough.

Kalsu

Enlightened
I am going to have to keep my eye out for one of those clips. I think that they are out of stock. Thanks for the information!

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Already have a Rotary (HDS-R1B-200).

Keen on picking up another ... Can't decide which.

I want the toughest possible light, so have been looking at the HDS EDC Tactical 200. However, I don't like the UI since I will rarely use it in a defensive situation.

Hard decisions ...

nbp

Flashaholic
Any of the Clickies can be programmed any way you want. The UI is the same on all of them, just the default settings are different between Exec and Tac models. And aside from the twisty tail, they are the same as the Rotary. A Rotary can be programmed to function the same as a Clicky if you wanted.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As what nbp said. You can program the clicky any way you want. My high CRI clicky was programmed to turn on at the lowest low of 0.07 lumen on default preset B whereas my 170T was programmed to turn on at preset A max lumen.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Henry
Where are the friggin XP-G neutrals?

What's the hold-up? You need help? I can solder.
I need spare income.

Maybe remove the option, till it's an option!

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps caused by humidity? You know, regular condensation from heat build-up in there?
Its the AR coating peeling off the lense. Happens to all my hds. Thats why I wish they only coated the inside.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the AR coating peeling off the lense. Happens to all my hds. Thats why I wish they only coated the inside.
Never happen to me. Mine is on the reflector, not the exterior surface of the lens. Occasionally some of my lights developed fogging issues on the inside surface of the lens but none on my HDS. My HDS has been perfect.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Never happen to me. Mine is on the reflector, not the exterior surface of the lens. Occasionally some of my lights developed fogging issues on the inside surface of the lens but none on my HDS. My HDS has been perfect.
I've never seen any problem with the few coated HDS lenses I've had either and it really sounds like a fairy tale to speak of the coating "peeling off the lens."

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's probably done for two or three reasons:
1) Assembly after manufacture. How do you tell if the correct side is going towards the reflector in a fast, efficient manner?
2) User-replacements: same reason as #1, but in the hands of a customer, trying to tell them how to tell which side is supposed ot go towards the reflector could be difficult.
3) They get to say it's a double sided coating for AR properties.

Importance in that order.

It's obviously not the most durable coating in the world, so damage is to be expected, especially when used "in the wild".

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is getting a little off the track. How did this end up into a discussion of lens coating? It first started when the.Mtn.Man asked about his reflector fogging up. Refer below...

Just curious if anybody else has a Rotary with a cloudy reflector. When I first took mine out of the package, the reflector looked clear and shiny, but now after a month or so, it appears to have a slight hazy film on it. I've not disassembled the light, so it's not anything I've done to it, and it doesn't appear to significantly affect the output. I'm just curious if this is common and what could have caused it.

Perhaps caused by humidity? You know, regular condensation from heat build-up in there?

It doesn't look anything like condensation.

I know what you mean. I have seen that on reflectors of some other lights. Just like water marks left on a glass after it has dried up, I suspect that blurring is caused by condensation that has dried. Am I making sense to you?

Yes i've had my rotary about 4 weeks & my reflector has got a little cloudy mark on it as well,it's not affecting the performance though

Yeah, that makes sense, and it sounds like it's not an unheard of phenomenon.

Now the question is how do I clean it, but that's probably just asking for trouble. :D

And then it became a topic about lenses? See what is happening below???

I've never seen any problem with the few coated HDS lenses I've had either and it really sounds like a fairy tale to speak of the coating "peeling off the lens."

That's probably done for two or three reasons:
1) Assembly after manufacture. How do you tell if the correct side is going towards the reflector in a fast, efficient manner?
2) User-replacements: same reason as #1, but in the hands of a customer, trying to tell them how to tell which side is supposed ot go towards the reflector could be difficult.
3) They get to say it's a double sided coating for AR properties.

Importance in that order.

It's obviously not the most durable coating in the world, so damage is to be expected, especially when used "in the wild".

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry
Where are the friggin XP-G neutrals?

What's the hold-up? You need help? I can solder.
I need spare income.

Maybe remove the option, till it's an option!

I feel your pain - every few weeks I check in here to see what the deal is. I have to stop. I get upset every time. Same thing with the Minimus Vision thread :D

Sarge - long time no speak :) I still rock that stainless modded lighthound bezel on my 9P all the time :devil:

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Yep. GREAT clips! Just DON'T BUY ONE if you have a rotary. Won't fit. :)

Not for bezel down but it will fit for bezel up. However, it affects the beam. It adds a little bit more distance between the emitter and the reflector which appears to concentrate most of the light into a smaller cone.

For me, the addition of the clip makes my rotary my go to light everywhere but at work. With the floodier beam and the clip to attach it to the bill of a ball cap I almost never use any of my four Zebralights anymore.

6327aaf8-7647-c15f.jpg

6327aaf8-7686-e251.jpg

Brian

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a long thread!
I'm sorry if this has been addressed already but if so I missed it.
There is a discussion about rings with the HDS Rotary vs the Clicky, here are two pictures:
Clicky: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/bondr006/6HDST-200clicky.jpg
Rotary: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/bondr006/5HDSRotary.jpg

...and much subsequent discussion about the "dark ring" with the Rotary.
To my eye what I see is that the Rotary simply has a more floody central hot spot, and in fact the Clicky has a much larger "dark ring", maybe made less obvious to some due to it's greater width.
That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.