HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubiconSS

Newly Enlightened
I check in (read) posts periodically. I find the dialogue about lights in general more odd/interesting especially about the HDS.
I don't find the following Odd, I find the struggle to find something wrong with the light odd.
I hear :
It's too Big (really?)
It's too Heavy (again, Really?)
It's not bright enough for me to get my work done, to see, to see what I'm looking at ( ???)
I get it. Just like ANY Hobby (Golf, Knives, Guns, Cars) the Hobbiest is always looking for the next greatest thing.
If they weren't I guess it wouldn't be a Hobby but, I don't see how these lights can be found lacking in the areas most found fault in.
Sturdy is almost never Light in Weight and still affordable and as for size or Brightness.... again I just see this as nit picking.
IF these lights aren't bright enough (for the few that seem to find them so) I say - Wrong tool for the job.
My butter knife doesn't cut particularly well nor does my EDC knife spread butter very well.
Need to flag down a plane flying over - Maybe a search beacon is the answer.
As for EDC lights - I think the HDS is a Great Light. :)

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I check in (read) posts periodically. I find the dialogue about lights in general more odd/interesting especially about the HDS.
I don't find the following Odd, I find the struggle to find something wrong with the light odd.
I hear :
It's too Big (really?)
It's too Heavy (again, Really?)
It's not bright enough for me to get my work done, to see, to see what I'm looking at ( ???)

The problem is that there is a conflict between how large and heavy you want your light when you carry it, and when you are holding it in your hand. A large light will be better to hold, while a smaller light will be easier to carry. I actually want my HDS to be larger, so I'm hoping 2AA and 17670/19670 bodies will be available again some time.

When it comes to brightness, it is never difficult to find situations where more light will make you see better, but as you say, use the right tool for the job. What I really like about HDS is the programmability, I have a HiCRI clicky I have dedicated to indoor nighttime use only. I have programmed the levels to 0.08 lm for single click, 1.9 lm for double click and 15 lm for triple click, I never use the 120 lm level. But for the Rotary 200 I have in my pocket I use the max level more often and have set the levels up quite differently (13 lm double click and 71 lm triple click), I must admit I would be very happy if Henry would make a XM-L2 NW version that ran on 18650 cells.

As for EDC lights - I think the HDS is a Great Light. :)

I second that.

The only improvement I could think of to the UI is that you should be able to use double click from off, and for rotary models you should be able to program the light levels using the rotary dial instead of having to click up and down.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different strokes for different folks. The only time I've found my HDS not quite bright enough is when I'm coming right out of the sunlight into a poorly lit environment and need to see at distance. Which is when a spotlight or a light that has the horsepower to double as a spotlight is needed.
I agree there isn't one light that does it all for me, an HDS is the perfect size that I can take it with me everywhere. It ticks off a lot of boxes in the must have and must be able to categories like reliable, nice tint, useable beam, and adjustable output.
I rarely need more than 120 lumens, when I do my backup light can be in my coat. It can be larger and have more umph on the times I need it.

I love using the big lumen lights and always look for an excuse to use them, but they aren't my edc.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or does it seem like there is an illogical addiction/fascination with these lights? Not trying to ignite an argument here just curious . I have noticed that members of CPF are very picky discriminating people who regularly pick apart a flashlight and find every "flaw" possible. Some manufacturers and flashlight models have been squashed into oblivion by this as it often becomes a pig pile and the brand/model gets the crimson letter of disapproval. From looking back at HDS lights to the beginning it seems these lights have been plagued with technical issues that otherwise would have sunk the ship long ago. Yet there continues to be this cult following which is great on one hand as HDS is an American company trying to make things a success and I would like to see that as much as any here. But I see the constant postings of "issues " in these threads the latest being sparks shooting out of the lights and programming glitches not to mention the never ending lack of product due to supply issues and I wonder if everyone is blinded by the light so to speak into wanting something so bad they cant see the forest thru the trees?

Once again not trying to troll or flame here I am just curious. I actually bought a 140 a few months ago and returned it because the tint was a horrible green color . The particular light was very well made otherwise and seemed very nice but runtime was not very good,when it did the battery step down it was such a fast process it almost seemed useless as a light that gradually decreased in output (regulated) is much more practical to me (my opinion only) and as an EDC the light is kinda big isnt it? Siewise it falls between a AAA/AA pocket light and a Surefire 2 cell .

I would actually buy another one if it could be had in the 2xAA variant which also seems to suffer from the never ending supply issues even though I would have to buy the 123 version AND then buy the AA body additionally I think with the extra size and capacity of the cells it would make a great all around light but I wonder about the much touted robust bombproof description of these lights while also seeing repeated postings of problems. Like the early twisty model. I thought that looked like a fantastic version even more reliable than the clicky but it seems that had issues with the wires inside and of course it was discontinued long ago for some reason. So please dont feel like you have to go on the attack here. Not trying to stir things up just like to engage in stimulating conversation and always open to opinions and such that may enlighten me to different views.

HDS lights have obtained a status for being excellent lights. The features, the runtimes, the customer service, all get rave reviews and the threads on these lights are numerous. I brought mine based on the overwhelming positive reviews and testimonials. For that reason criticism is drawn when the lights don't perform as expected or experience flaws. When I first got my HDS a few years ago I was impressed and thought very highly of the light. Since then I've had some issues with my lights and have become a little critical of them, for many reasons but foremost the fact that I think threads should reflect all aspects of the light, good and bad, I post them. In terms of the runtimes I agree, my 170T performed better then my 200R, which I don't get, but both dropped quick after exhausting the battery on high, the 200R quicker though. Is the fascination with the light illogical, probably.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those of you with raised button HDS lights, what kind of lanyard setup are you using? I don't want to ever lose my 140T on duty and, furthermore, I don't want a lanyard that will get in the way.

thoughts?

nbp

Flashaholic
A tiny blue arc between electrical contacts hardly qualifies as "sparks shooting out". The light still works fine BTW. :ironic:

eff

Enlightened
for those of you with raised button HDS lights, what kind of lanyard setup are you using? I don't want to ever lose my 140T on duty and, furthermore, I don't want a lanyard that will get in the way.

thoughts?

I'm currently using a sony ericsson lanyard that looks like these :
$T2eC16Z,!yME9s5qHs0cBQk,m6hzDw~~60_58.JPG

or

$T2eC16J,!)QFIbUdnltoBSTYLJput!~~60_3.JPG

It's made of semi rigid leather, so it won"t tangle around your light.

Last edited:

glowbug123

Newly Enlightened
I guess NBP but I have never heard of a flashlight arcing even if its so miniscule . Its a bit odd isnt it? There is probably a logical explanation and I am sure it will be revealed quickly by someone on here . I am fairly ignorant so I liken myself to a caveman witnessing a lighting bolt hit a tree and start a fire with something like this. I wonder silly things like if I just put gas in my lawn mower and spilled some on myself then needed a flashlight to look at something in the dark recesses of my shed and upon finding out I need a new battery go to swap it out and ignite myself in an entertaining for the neighbors self immolation scenario. :)

Once again not slamming HDS just curious about this odd phenomenon going on with the little blue arc?

eff

Enlightened
No blue arc on my side, but I noticed some sparks after replacing the battery and screwing the head back on.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently using a sony ericsson lanyard that looks like these :
<snip>
It's made of semi rigid leather, so it won't tangle around your light.

gotcha, thanks! how's the rope part of it? strong?

I will say I do have about 100 feet of paracord so I'm certainly down to make my own lanyard (paracord will be a much more feasible option for a long-term, durable, never-gonna-break lanyard I think!).

Eff, do you have any paracord lanyards you use for your HDS?

Gnolg

Newly Enlightened
This is to mutch to read. What LED is Henry currently using in his Rotary? How is the beam pattern?

eff

Enlightened
gotcha, thanks! how's the rope part of it? strong?

I will say I do have about 100 feet of paracord so I'm certainly down to make my own lanyard (paracord will be a much more feasible option for a long-term, durable, never-gonna-break lanyard I think!).

Eff, do you have any paracord lanyards you use for your HDS?

Well it's been designed for camcorders and smartphones, so I would expect it to be strong enough. However, the hds pocket clip is bit rough, so I'm not sure the cord part will not break. Maybe with a smoother pocket clip, it would be all right.

Currently no lanyard on my lights, but I plan to use one from jetbeam and see if it's any practical.

Last edited:

hjkl

Newly Enlightened
Re: When did you order your HDS?

Sorry to derail... I have tested this now and can say that 14mm boots fit perfect, but as suspected are a little bit mushier without modification. I didn't want to scratch the anno on the tailcap so I cut up an old plastic credit card and doubled it up which worked great to remove the retaining ring.

Last edited:

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
This is to mutch to read. What LED is Henry currently using in his Rotary? How is the beam pattern?

Just got a Rotary about a week or two ago. To my (young) eyes, the beam looks nearly identical to my M61; the brightness, tint, and beam pattern are very close on high: neither hotspot "buries" the other when moving one hotspot in and out of the other, and the hotspot and spill appear to be the same size and brightness. But this is just white wall hunting, and I've not had much chance to do more realistic (or quantified) comparisons. Hopefully that light is standard enough to give you a good idea of the Rotary's beam. I was quite pleased that it was so bright.

As RubiconSS put it, the beam is nice!

Gnolg

Newly Enlightened
Can´t resist any more, order placed for a Rotary 200. Now the waiting begins.. Looking forward to my first HDS. :)

Tracker II

Enlightened
Anybody know the best way to store an HDS for the long-term (possibly years)? I bought an extra High CRI clicky in case the pooh ever hits the fan again but am not sure if I should store it battery in or battery out. In an ordinary flashlight I would store it battery out, but with all the programming and circuitry in the HDS, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

fnj

Enlightened
Anybody know the best way to store an HDS for the long-term (possibly years)? I bought an extra High CRI clicky in case the pooh ever hits the fan again but am not sure if I should store it battery in or battery out. In an ordinary flashlight I would store it battery out, but with all the programming and circuitry in the HDS, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

Either way is fine. It will never lose the programming even with the battery out for years. OK, forever is a long time; eventually the nonvolatile memory will lose its retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.