HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concern is that Henry could develop a reputation of being difficult to work with which might scare away suppliers.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Hogokansatsukan, that's about what I've pieced together over time.

If you want a cool light then go get one anywhere, if you want an HDS then get in line and let the man make something he is willing to stand behind. I'm sure that he could have easily faked it with sub spec parts and filled all of our orders by now.
I'm at 3 months and no regrets, I could have easily drunk that money away and I'm glad that the pain of accumulating it and sending it off is over and done with.
I have a number of good tools that I could hardly wait to get when I was running them down, after I had them in my possession the good tool continues to be an aid and a pleasure... The expedient tools that I got in the mean time are frequently sold off, given away or shelved as backups.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan, thanks for sharing some insights on what Henry has been doing. I hope things go well for him. I think we all do.

Imon

Enlightened
Excellent post Hogo - thanks for the insight.
I have to admit with all this talk about delays I'm starting to fret about my order, which I put in a few weeks ago, I suppose I should, more than likely, prepare myself for further delays?
Anyways, probably like most people here, my primary concern is quality so it's nice to hear that won't be an issue.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concern is that Henry could develop a reputation of being difficult to work with which might scare away suppliers.

I don't that will happen. Henry presents his schematics which include the tolerances. If they shop states they can do it, and makes proofs that work, then, as has happened far too often, ships sub-standard out of spec parts, it's not on Henry.

thaugen

Enlightened
Thank you Hogokansatsukan! I am the happy owner of two of Henry's beauties and in line for another. In my experience the quality is well worth the wait!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only practical wish is that HDS would send a confirmation email when the order is shipped.
I have been in a similar situation at the production end and it's no fun at all; cut quality (unacceptable) or make the client wait (uncomfortable).

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent post Hogo - thanks for the insight.
I have to admit with all this talk about delays I'm starting to fret about my order, which I put in a few weeks ago, I suppose I should, more than likely, prepare myself for further delays?
Anyways, probably like most people here, my primary concern is quality so it's nice to hear that won't be an issue.

Henry works on a first order, first served basis. One needs to get in line. I've tried bribes and blackmail to move up on the list and Henry won't stand for it. The lights will ship in the order that the order was received. The only time someone might move up is for warranty work on a light no longer produced. I'm ok with that as well.
I can say though, it can be very hard when he shows the rotary before it is released, and you get to play with a high cri rotary... and you can't take it home.

jrk

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting to juxtapose HDS's approach to out of spec supplier components, to say, the recent release of the SWM V10R Ti special edition . . .

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Well. Just went ahead and put in an order for a hicri rotary. My regular rotary needs a younger brother doesn't he? That MP better get up so I can sell some goods and fund this guy. I honestly can't imagine a better light than the rotary. And now the waiting game begins.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Given that so few quality lights are actually built in the United States and Henry puts out an exceptional product, backed by an exceptional warranty...he gets my support. Last year, I had some silly questions about my 170 Custom, and he, personally, responded to each and every one. Running a small business and trying to keep everyone happy, especially CPF'ers, is nearly impossible in this day and age.

Not for nothin'...but I'd rather wait for perfection rather then settle for mediocrity. Keep up the good work Henry...:thumbsup:

threethrty

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting to juxtapose HDS's approach to out of spec supplier components, to say, the recent release of the SWM V10R Ti special edition . . .

I second that. Which is why, while I snapped up a black & gold V10R Ti2, I put them away, jumped off that bandwagon (never to return), & am now happily in line for a product behind which the manufacturer appears to care for & upon which it will stake its reputation. I'm paying my hard-earned money for something in which I believe HDS takes pride in & accepts no compromises. Compared to my recent experience, I think that alone is worth my money & the added wait time. If done right, it's done once, & everyone will want you to do it again & again.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if my rotary arrived early......

davyro

Enlightened
I've got a solution for Henry's woe's.I'm from the North East of England were we are experiencing mass unemployment at the present time & there are Lott's of highly skilled machinists
without a job that would be really grateful for any work put there way.Henry could get the work done over here,then receive the parts & build the lights in the U.S.Testing & producing
the final build would be done in the U.S so it would be a U.S built light.We have the most productive car plant outside of Japan producing Japanese cars to a very high standard proving
the local work forces hard work & skills.Everything is there to be up & running now.I say this with tongue in cheek as i know it would never happen but Henry has been let down quite
a few times in the past year,so i think he should go where people would be grateful for getting work but its obviously easier said than done.Hopefully our patience is rewarded sooner
rather than later.:shrug:

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Since I have intimate knowledge regarding the delays, I thought I would jump in here. Henry does not have the time to watch the thread every day, or even week, and I'm fine with that. I don't either and I would rather Henry focus on the lights. I got some free time and thought I would make a post regarding the delays.
Henry is a perfectionist. This is both a blessing, and a curse. You see, Henry does not make all the parts that go into his lights. Some of those parts have to be contracted out and made by others, i.e. machining, anodizing, etc. When Henry gets these parts, there has been a very high rejection rate as some of the businesses that supply HDS can't seem to keep the parts in tolerance with what HDS expects. Henry will not use a part that is out of tolerance, even if it may still work. I've heard of rejection rates as high as 100%, and 50% or more has not been unusual. When Henry fires one of these subcontractors, he must then find a place that can: 1. Make the part/parts within his specification and 2. Make it in a timely manner. I know some of the places he has used and all I can say is that I'm a hell of a lot more nervous flying than I used to be!
The blessing is, when he has these parts, he makes the best light out there. The curse of course is that he is so particular about the parts he gets, that most places are simply not able to produce them, and those that do, have a high rejection rate. Henry has been working on this for some time, but he won't compromise on the quality of his finished product.
Henry also get's promised certain parts by vendors, then they do not deliver, or deliver a batch of parts were the rejection rate is quite high. Henry tests them ALL by hand. He does not pay someone to test and check, HE does it. I did say he is a perfectionist, didn't I?
Being a vendor, it can be very frustrating as I have orders for lights dating back months and I'm too small a business to keep much of anything but raw leather in stock for holsters. I have several custom holsters in plastic bags with name tags on them just waiting for the light so I can ship both out.
Henry is a friend who lives about 10 minutes away and I know he is doing everything he can possibly do to get the orders out, but he won't compromise on the quality. If he did, we would have them sooner, but I'm ok with waiting in order to keep the quality that HDS is famous for. One of the things I see on the thread occasionally is one person gets a light and then everyone thinks that they are now shipping. It's not always the case. Out of 500 of the same part, I've seen it where he only gets about 20 that are in spec. Anyway, thought I would end some of the speculation and give you the skinny.

Hogo/Thor/Dan

Been in the machine shop business for 40 years now. I own a 170 Clicky, so I know this is not true, but it sounds like Henry is not paying enough $$$ for the quality he is looking for. There are no parts on his lights that cannot be made correctly, consistently and in tolerance. I remember when someone said he was having trouble getting tubes broached. There a lot of shops that do broaching, but a lot of them have no idea what is required to get consistently quality parts . It's like everything else, "you get what you pay for".
2cents.gif

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't that will happen. Henry presents his schematics which include the tolerances. If they shop states they can do it, and makes proofs that work, then, as has happened far too often, ships sub-standard out of spec parts, it's not on Henry.

That makes sense.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love HDS, but I know that I'm not happy, and many others aren't happy, when they hear "# of weeks" over and over again. I don't know if this has happened with HDS, but I have seen it happen with other manufacturers. If someone doesn't have the parts that they need to make a light then they should say "I don't have the parts," again I don't know if this has happened with HDS, but I would like to know a solid timeline, because I waited months for my rotary pre-order that was supposed to take weeks. I am now waiting months for another light that I pre-ordered from another manufacturer.

I used to think/say that you need patience and all the other BS, but now I think I'm to the point that if I give someone a hundred dollars for a light then you should give me a delivery date, OR you tell me you do not know when it will be delivered. The inconsistent estimates are getting ridiculous across a lot of manufacturers in my opinion. I know this tends to be a praise thread and I am not bashing, but I want a HDS High CRI, and if I buy one I want to know when I will get it, or at least be given an honest estimate.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
I love HDS, but I know that I'm not happy, and many others aren't happy, when they hear "# of weeks" over and over again. I don't know if this has happened with HDS, but I have seen it happen with other manufacturers. If someone doesn't have the parts that they need to make a light then they should say "I don't have the parts," again I don't know if this has happened with HDS, but I would like to know a solid timeline, because I waited months for my rotary pre-order that was supposed to take weeks. I am now waiting months for another light that I pre-ordered from another manufacturer.

I used to think/say that you need patience and all the other BS, but now I think I'm to the point that if I give someone a hundred dollars for a light then you should give me a delivery date, OR you tell me you do not know when it will be delivered. The inconsistent estimates are getting ridiculous across a lot of manufacturers in my opinion. I know this tends to be a praise thread and I am not bashing, but I want a HDS High CRI, and if I buy one I want to know when I will get it, or at least be given an honest estimate.

Ya I understand. That fact that this light started shipping 10 months ago and the kinks are still getting worked out is kind of silly. I know it's in a class by itself but its luster is kind of fading.

brighasday

Newly Enlightened
I've got a solution for Henry's woe's.I'm from the North East of England were we are experiencing mass unemployment at the present time & there are Lott's of highly skilled machinists
without a job that would be really grateful for any work put there way.Henry could get the work done over here,then receive the parts & build the lights in the U.S.Testing & producing
the final build would be done in the U.S so it would be a U.S built light.We have the most productive car plant outside of Japan producing Japanese cars to a very high standard proving
the local work forces hard work & skills.Everything is there to be up & running now.I say this with tongue in cheek as i know it would never happen but Henry has been let down quite
a few times in the past year,so i think he should go where people would be grateful for getting work but its obviously easier said than done.Hopefully our patience is rewarded sooner
rather than later.:shrug:
I own a Jaguar XJ8 and it is the best car I've ever had. I've had high end German cars and the engineering and quality just can't match the Jaguar. I would be proud to own an English made anything and I'm sure most people would be much more comfortable with a light that had parts machined in the UK than in China or a like country. Especially if it meant they could get their lights in less than a month.

Alfaholic

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks

I have just pulled the trigger on a EDC Custom Rotary with 220lm, Sapphire lens, and flush button. I am really excited to have my first really quality flashlight.

Thanks for all your help on these HDS threads which convinced me.:)

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts