HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Really happy for you JohnB that was quick your very lucky to get exactly what you wanted straight away.Let me know if you have the same opinion as me on the beam.:huh:

Got it!! it has a surprisingly smooth reflector witch results in a doughnut hole if you hold the light 3 inches or less from a wall, and I don't think I'm going to be walking that close to a wall all the time. The beam is nice and pleasing to the eye, there's just a little hint of grittiness in the transition from hot spot to spill (again probably due to the smooth reflector) but still a good transition. Slight bit of green tint, it's really only noticeable when comparing it to my 120 witch by the way is as smooth as butter. I did this on a white wall witch as you know, always makes the good and the bad stand out in a beam. I have not been able to get outside yet waiting for it to get dark enough to get an idea of how it throws. All-in-all this is a great light! The things I described above will never be seen in every day use, even if your looking for it, it won't be seen. well worth the money to know you have a great dependable light that will work when you need it to. My hat off to Henry. Hi CRI is next for me.

Also, the programming of the light is a little tricky at first. But once you get it, it makes these light even better....if that's even possible.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I got lucky, my 170E has no doughtnut hole whatsoever.

Here it is at about 1 inch
3FC3E858.jpg

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The orange peel is very light. The reflector looks like the dull side of aluminum foil, with tiny specks all over. Ive seen other reflectors that look more mirror-like. Who knows, maybe I'm losing lumens to get better sub three-inch beams. Haha.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
The orange peel is very light. The reflector looks like the dull side of aluminum foil, with tiny specks all over. Ive seen other reflectors that look more mirror-like. Who knows, maybe I'm losing lumens to get better sub three-inch beams. Haha.

Yup, the reflector on my 120 is like that makes for a very nice beam. The one on my 170 is light OP with a mirror finish, that's why I have the doughnut. O'well I'll never know its there unless I put it righ up to the wall. I'm thinking about switching them.

As far as loosing lumens, I don't think you would be. Maybe just some throw.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the reflector on my 120 is like that makes for a very nice beam. The one on my 170 is light OP with a mirror finish, that's why I have the doughnut. O'well I'll never know its there unless I put it righ up to the wall. I'm thinking about switching them.

I wouldn't have even checked if not for the posts about GDP's having doughnut holes. In real world use it's not an issue. Many of my other lights have them at distances much greater than that. If you do switch them, be careful not to put fingerprints on them. I read one post where the guy just ended up buying a new reflector because he couldn't clean his.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I guess I got lucky, my 170E has no doughtnut hole whatsoever.

Here it is at about 1 inch
3FC3E858.jpg
Nice! I know many think that a light is only usable after a certain distance, but I use mine at any distance my eyes work at, and that can be as close as wiring a light switch or looking at a wild rose thorn in my finger.

I can live with donut holes, but prefer to eat them.

Correct! You win a prize Pete! A brand new Ti Rotary! :party:

Did I get you all going? :hahaha:
Thanks Nick! :kiss:

I know I may have to wait a while, but I don't mind! Just give me an update when the time is getting close! :huh:

brighasday

Newly Enlightened
Well guys, I've just ordered a Hi CRI after loving the snot out of my 120T. I figured you all would want to know what my email said about the delivery times... 6 weeks... ouch! Seems like every week that passes ADDS another week to the expected delivery time:shrug:. I'm willing to wait, but I'm lucky in that I've already got a clicky to tide me over.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wait is so long. Even though I am patient I had a dream, and in my dreams I dreamt that I received a shipping notice from Henry for my high CRI rotary. Somehow in my dreams it didn't occur to me that it has never been Henry's practice to send out shipping notices. And silly me got to run through my emails when I woke up just to confirm that nothing of this sort is happening. Sigh...

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Hey all, I always carry my light in a holster on my belt. Recently I found that the holster for the nitecore Ife1 goes very well with my HDS, other than the fact that the holster says nitecore on it but that could be cut off or colored with a marker. I'm not one to get a nice leather holster for me its what ever works best. fits in nice and even if the flap comes open it won't fall out. The fit reminds me of my PD20 in its holster.

d06705a5-9a84-d6ae.jpg

d06705a5-9aa6-20a5.jpg

Imon

Enlightened
The wait is so long. Even though I am patient I had a dream, and in my dreams I dreamt that I received a shipping notice from Henry for my high CRI rotary. Somehow in my dreams it didn't occur to me that it has never been Henry's practice to send out shipping notices. And silly me got to run through my emails when I woke up just to confirm that nothing of this sort is happening. Sigh...

:laughing:
Yeah, dreams can be so strange. I've also wondered why Henry doesn't do shipping confirmation emails and no matter how much I try to shove the HDS issue to the side I can't stop coming back to it.
I really hate to put this out there but could it be possible that he has other issues besides finding a reliable machine shop? If I remember correctly you're going on your 6th week of waiting.... and I'm about to hit my 5th week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts