HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1S-120 landed yesterday from Battery Station. After humming and hawing about getting one to go with my legacy hi CRI 100 and older HDS lights last year, I decided to wait it out until I could buy one from dealer stock. Ordered late Wednesday afternoon, came Saturday. Yay!

I've got her all programmed up, preset off, momentary on and level B lowered two steps. No idea why it took like six or seven tries to activate programming, my timing just must have been off. I had no problem with the legacy light.

I really had no great expectations from the GD emitter, and was thinking I may put a Nichia 219 in this one. I think that will be the way I go, as I don't care for such a narrow beam, and the tint, while not severely biased, leans toward green, which I don't particularly care for.

I remember someone saying you would get more brightness by modding a 200 model, but when I read the specs, I am not so sure. The runtime on high is greater for the 200, 1.5 vs 1.25 tactical hours, which says to me that it is using less power than the 120 model, and getting the higher brightness from a more efficient emitter. Any other thoughts on that conclusion?

Pöbel

Enlightened
there is no answer. A 120 with e rather inefficient emitter and a 200 with very efficient emitter might use the same power on high, you would get the same brightness after the mod, just less levels.

It totally depends on the individual emitter and the corresponding setup made by henry

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I think you meant that the other way around. But I follow, I was just saying that based on the specs, which are minimum runtimes, there would be no inherent advantage, with respect to brightness, in using the 200. At the end of the day, I will always end up programming each level to what I want in brightness, and the runtime will be what it is. The max level brightness is not that important, as I rarely use it.

morelightnow

Enlightened
Sounds like a bad switch alright. Just go with the warranty. Henry will probably send you a new battery tube, so it won't require you to send the whole light in, though he will want the faulty switch for testing, so you'll have to send the bad one to him after getting the new one..

BTW, what is the warranty on HDS? I don't see anything listed Henry's website.

Pöbel

Enlightened
Actually, I think you meant that the other way around. But I follow, I was just saying that based on the specs, which are minimum runtimes, there would be no inherent advantage, with respect to brightness, in using the 200. At the end of the day, I will always end up programming each level to what I want in brightness, and the runtime will be what it is. The max level brightness is not that important, as I rarely use it.

Actually i meant it just that way. But it's as well possible that the 120 has a very efficient emitter and thus a much longer runtime on high than the 200. In that case an emitter swap would yield higher brightness in the former 200 model. It solely depends on the individual Emitter. All configurations are thinkable.

Buying a 200 will not 100% guarantee you more brightness after the swap. If you get you hands on a 120 with particularly High Vf emitter results might be close after a swap with similar Emitters (Vf wise)

I myself just bought the 120 / 140 Versions for modding. I got them rather cheap and i did not want to justify buying a premium selected Emitter just to swap it out. The last part of your post i totally agree with, I programm it how I like it, the runtime is what it is, I never tested that.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Lifetime. Henry is top notch with his warranty service.

Top notch for sure.

Ive had several HDS lights and have had two warranty issues. One with a premature step down issue and one with the parasitic drain/ faulty capacitor issue. Both fixed with no inconvenience at all and relatively quickly as well. Thanks Henry.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Hondo,

Did your BatteryStation E1S-120 have the newer ACME threads?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, ACME threads. My understanding is that these are some of the first of the latest lights from the new machine shop.

Snareman

Enlightened
I wrote to Henry to ask about clips for the rotary since I'd talked to him back in the winter and he said it would be "a few months". He replied and said they are closer but not in production. I guess I'll keep on with my make shift Fenix clip.

Snareman

Enlightened
Henry wrote back one more time and said it was going to be "At least a couple of months." before clips for the rotary are available. I love my light, but things sure do move like molases in HDS land...

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Ordered my light five weeks ago... Tactical Clicky 200, Henry said six weeks wait time so I am really hoping I just have one more week to wait.. This will really round of my perfect EDC combo so just waiting on the final piece!

Snareman

Enlightened
Ordered my light five weeks ago... Tactical Clicky 200, Henry said six weeks wait time so I am really hoping I just have one more week to wait.. This will really round of my perfect EDC combo so just waiting on the final piece!

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes! Its a great light.

Mr Painite

Newly Enlightened

for what its worth, i ordered the same light on June 23. emailed henry on July 12 asking for an eta and he responded the same day:

We had to fire our local shop for not delivering any parts after several months. It has taken far longer to find a reliable shop then we ever expected. Our shop has delivered two out of the three parts we need for your order. We are still waiting on the first article samples for the third part, so it will still be several weeks yet. Very frustrating, as you may well imagine. I apologize for the delay.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting since first week of January. High CRI Rotary. When it comes it will be like Christmas. Well, it may actually be Christmas.

eala

veedo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, i didn't realize these lights had such a big waiting list. I received my clicky 200 around november of last year from oveready. Awesome light, but i kind of feel guilty that it has never been carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts