HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still hoping someone might post some beamshots of the new hcri compared to the "old" SSC one. I have the latter light and am debating with myself about whether I need to upgrade. Anyone?
The newer Cree HCRI is brighter by a margin and throws slightly better but I still prefer the tint of the SSC P4 as it is much more neutral compared to Cree. Cree HCRI is way too warm in tint, even warmer than my Surefire incand lights. Afraid I won't be going for my camping trip anytime soon to do a beam shot for you. My neighborhood is just too bright for beam shots.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still prefer the tint of the SSC P4 as it is much more neutral compared to Cree. Cree HCRI is way too warm in tint, even warmer than my Surefire incand lights.
Wow, really? I can't say the same about mine. Not that I have a Surefire to compare to, but my high CRI Rotary is a nice, creamy white compared to incandescent sources like table lamps. It's actually very close in color to the small halogen lamps used in track lighting.

Another thing worth noting, the Cree has even color across the entire beam rather than the odd color rings that I remember from the P4 (warm hot spot, purplish halo, greenish spill). I'm not knocking the P4 since it had great color rendition. It's just one of those oddities.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Wow, really? I can't say the same about mine. Not that I have a Surefire to compare to, but my high CRI Rotary is a nice, creamy white compared to incandescent sources like table lamps. It's actually very close in color to the small halogen lamps used in track lighting.

A Surefire bulb produces a much higher color temp than a standard household bulb and would probably be a little higher than a halogen track lighting bulb.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
B

Another thing worth noting, the Cree has even color across the entire beam rather than the odd color rings that I remember from the P4 (warm hot spot, purplish halo, greenish spill). I'm not knocking the P4 since it had great color rendition. It's just one of those oddities.
The oddity you mentioned regarding the P4 has never been a problem for me. On the contrary I do like it a lot, and in actual use in the outdoors the beam looks uniform throughout. Not sure about your version of the P4 HCRI, but mine has a bluish hotspot with a warmer side spill.

Although the Cree one is a little too warm for my taste, I still think it is not bad. Just that I can't use it with any of my other lights after my eyes have gotten used to the warmish tint. I remember my McGizmo Haiku with HCRI Nichia 119 looking like cool white after about almost an hour with the HDS HCRI rotary.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
My P4 hCRI has a neutral hotspot, probably close to the Nichia 219 in tint, with a warmer spill. Put negatively, the spill is brown. Put positively, it's "sunset." The beam is very smooth with no artifacts and in real use--especially outdoors--the color shift is irrelevant. I like it a lot--that's why I'm hesitant to jump on the new one and am hoping for comparative beamshots.

morelightnow

Enlightened
My P4 hCRI has a neutral hotspot, probably close to the Nichia 219 in tint, with a warmer spill. Put negatively, the spill is brown. Put positively, it's "sunset." The beam is very smooth with no artifacts and in real use--especially outdoors--the color shift is irrelevant. I like it a lot--that's why I'm hesitant to jump on the new one and am hoping for comparative beamshots.

When I get my hands on a clicky I will take beamshots of it against the P4 and the Nichia. The P4 is also my favorite for now, even more so than the Nichia, but I have not seen the xp-g yet. I can't decide if I want to try a HCRI XM-L from Nailbender or not. That would be a close comparison, although it is a tad cooler.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get my hands on a clicky I will take beamshots of it against the P4 and the Nichia. The P4 is also my favorite for now, even more so than the Nichia, but I have not seen the xp-g yet. I can't decide if I want to try a HCRI XM-L from Nailbender or not. That would be a close comparison, although it is a tad cooler.
AFAIK, there are no HCRI XM-L emitters available for use in a flashlight yet. Are you confusing the neutral or warm white emitters for a HCRI?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The updated reflector is already more throwy than the original introduced with the Acme threaded line of lights (smaller, brighter hot spot verses a less defined hot spot with brighter spill). I'm not sure you would want to modify it to introduce even more throw unless you're looking for a beam pattern similar to a theater spotlight.
A new reflector? Dang with an xpg2 that may outgrow the 170GDP legacy? No more light till Christmas, No more light till Christmas, No more light till Christmas (rocks back and forth) :eek:oo:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new reflector? Dang with an xpg2 that may outgrow the 170GDP legacy? No more light till Christmas, No more light till Christmas, No more light till Christmas (rocks back and forth) :eek:oo:

Just "DO IT"! ...:poke:... U know U want to! ... :nana:

But that XP-G2 is a great emitter if you're looking for throw! In the Fury, the hot spot's about the same size as the E1b and Lx2.

Last edited:

morelightnow

Enlightened
AFAIK, there are no HCRI XM-L emitters available for use in a flashlight yet. Are you confusing the neutral or warm white emitters for a HCRI?

Somehow Nailbender scored some and is making drop-ins with them. That's the only place I know to get them. He is quoting them at 90+ CRI.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the previous emitter was in anyway bad. I just know that the color rings is one of the criticisms regularly directed at the HDS P4 lights. The Cree high CRI, on the other hand, is even color from edge to edge.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that XP-G2 is a great emitter if you're looking for throw! In the Fury, the hot spot's about the same size as the E1b and Lx2.
My one nit-pick with the new emitter/reflector combo is that it is a little spotty for my taste. In some ways I preferred the previous reflector. Even though it had visible rings, it was a floodier beam with a larger, less defined hotspot. I've actually considered swapping reflectors with my cool white Rotary, but I'm concerned about removing the bezels and introducing dust and humidity.

Pöbel

Enlightened
I swapped my bezels a thousand times (ok, maybe a hundred). Moisture is not a problem, dust is not either, you can blow it away - just do not touch it!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the reason it concerns me is that I removed the bezel of my cool white shortly after receiving it to get a closer look at the LED, and a few days later I noticed that the reflector was cloudy, as if moisture had dried on it. I can only assume it was from humidity. Looking at the clean, shiny reflector on my high CRI makes me hesitant to repeat the experience. I haven't attempted to clean the reflector, but maybe I will now that I have second light.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow Nailbender scored some and is making drop-ins with them. That's the only place I know to get them. He is quoting them at 90+ CRI.
Do you know what is the CCT rating for the high CRI XM-L? I checked Nailbender's sale thread but there is no mention of any high CRI XM-L. I am really keen if there is a high CRI XM-L.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just "DO IT"! ...:poke:... U know U want to! ... :nana:

In the Fury? That soUnds sweeeeeeeet. I'd buy an XPG2 hds200 if it was stock ( or if I had more money )
Dang thats a sweet emitter, I should try an xpg2 *no mustn't* maybe *no don't* NoOoOoOoO mayyyybbbeeeeee..... the pressure. :eek:oo:

Last edited:

fnj

Enlightened
Well, the reason it concerns me is that I removed the bezel of my cool white shortly after receiving it to get a closer look at the LED, and a few days later I noticed that the reflector was cloudy, as if moisture had dried on it. I can only assume it was from humidity. Looking at the clean, shiny reflector on my high CRI makes me hesitant to repeat the experience. I haven't attempted to clean the reflector, but maybe I will now that I have second light.

This doesn't help much now, but if you are in an area which experiences cold weather, the best time to take apart sealed stuff, especially involving optics or electronics, is indoors on the coldest day in the winter. The humidity content of the air you trap inside under these conditions will be extremely low. If you do it in the summer, the trapped air will always have a lot of moisture, and when the sealed item cools at any point later, the moisture will condense out.

Status
Not open for further replies.